Shorthorn registration question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

It means that they have some blood other than Shorthorn in their pedigree.  It use to stay on their papers forever, now I think it eventually fades away. So I think more people will be promoting "asterik free" cattle that are truly not. JMO.

sjcattleco

The ASA board several years ago voted in a policy to drop the asterisk I believe when the pedigree was 123/ 124 * free!  My herd at the time was 90%  * free but several of my calves had the * drop off and when I looked back they only had one * ancestor and it was WAY back!!!!!   

Show Heifer

The * means I might have more shorthorn in me than that animal does.

LostFarmer

Show Heifer said:
The * means I might have more shorthorn in me than that animal does.

A bit cynical are we?  I agree with you at least the SH put an * unlike many other breeds.  Angus are still standing around telling us they are pure.  Went from little short pugs in the 60's to monsters in the 80's and early 90's and they did it all on selection..... yup they selected some chi and some Holstein.  Black and polled covered it all up and that was that. 

aj

I know I've heard that the Gelbvieh and Simmis were from the same base. One was developed on one side of the mountain and the other on the other side.