Shorthorn semen

Help Support Steer Planet:

tamarack

I raise purebred shorthorn cattle for the beef market and sell  bulls to commercial 
breeders when I first started everyone wanted red shorthorn bulls now most of customers are asking for roan or white bulls. Any thoughts on roan or white shorthorn bulls that are good to AI my heifers to that I can get in Canada ? I have used HC mist return ,SL rockstar and SV pioneer. Hey JIT do you have any thing new coming this year?

tamarack

Yes I thought of them, is northern legend allright  for heifers? Captain mark is not available in Canada.

BogartBlondes

I have used Legend successfully on heifers. Sin City would be another possible choice. Not for use on heifers though.

justintime

I don't have anything new this year that I would recommend for heifers... at least right now. I may have a new sire but doubt if I can have semen collected in time for use this spring.

We are selling semen from our HC Free Spirit 6N bull, but I won't recommend him for heifers, at least until we see how he calves. We recently sold the European rights in Free Spirit to a group in Ireland. We had our first calf here and he was unassisted with a 90 lb BW from a 2nd calver. The calf is very long bodied but was born very easily.

We have used Touchdown on heifers and have got along very good. His calves are some of our very best this year. We have a great group of bulls and heifers from him, and he does leave most of them roan.

vcsf

Tamarack have you looked at the Saskvalley Yesterday bull that Semex has in their new catalog.  They are promoting him as calving ease and he appears to have decent numbers and is quite reasonably priced at only $20 a unit.  I thought he looked good in the picture.  One thing in the catalog they say his dam is a full  sister to Pioneer but it appears she is only a paternal sister.  However, his sire's dam is Pioneer's full sister.  I see that Saskvalley did use him as a yearling and has registered some calves out of him.

tamarack

Thanks guys will check out any thoughts on Uluru buster 6t or red rose ruffian?

justintime

Uluru Buster 6T is a great choice for heifers. We calved some out here last spring and never touched any of them. He is a very thick, soft made and moderate framed. He should do what you want.

carl

Just a note on Saskvalley Yesterday. vcsf is correct on the pedigree. We had about 15 calves sired by him last year, all off first calf heifers, and only assisted 1. We are very pleased with the calves. They are thick and meaty and seem to be performing well this winter. I would consider him heifer safe.

uluru

Uluru Buster 6T
All calves have come easily and between 80 - 90 lbs
Mechanic just had a nice white calf from him out of Peggy.
Semen in Regina, Ontario and the US.

tamarack

Thanks guys this gives me lots to go on. JIT I have some due in april bred to SL rockstar and mists return I like the Mist return but have used for two years also Muridale Buster2 both good bulls for heifers. Sold some steers from both today [email protected] not bad for no grain and weaning in Dec. looking forward to spring.

coyote

Saskvalley Yesterday , I sure like the looks of him.

Attachments

• sv yest..jpg
    sv yest..jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 166

ROMAX

I have a Gigolo Joe X Manchild heifer that I am showing this year,wondering about breeding her to Yesterday.Saw him in the catalogue,thought he looked good.Anyone have any ideas how that would or wouldn't work?

RyanChandler

ROMAX said:
I have a Gigolo Joe X Manchild heifer that I am showing this year,wondering about breeding her to Yesterday.Saw him in the catalogue,thought he looked good.Anyone have any ideas how that would or wouldn't work?

He should be substantially easier calving than the other options mentioned.  Cattlemen around me are on the fence about using bulls with 90 pound bw's on grown out cows, then you come on SP, and we have people suggest using bulls with 90 pound bw's on heifers. 

RyanChandler

ROMAX said:
I thought if he was easy calving,then a blue roan would be a bonus.

You're odds of getting a blue are much higher using a white bull. Technically, using a white bull, 100% of his calves will be genotypical blues, but I'm sure many will only appear black to the eye.

tamarack

Well ordered some semen today went with SV Yesterday will AI some of Pb shorthorn heifers and a few crossbred to him still have a few Muridale Buster 2 to use up. I have purchased some semen from a new Australian sire Yamburgan Tobermory to use on Pb cows that appears very good. Looking forward to spring and my choices from last year and even though the next will be another year I hope my breeding choices are moving forward to where I want to be. Thanks for all input people still might look for something else I have around 40 Pb cow and 7 or 8 heifers to breed and have some new home raised bulls that I think will be great used a Hillside Leader son as clean up on heifers and commercial and a Western Pioneer son (SV pioneer 126 is grandsire of) on Pb cows.