Shorthorn sire question!

Help Support Steer Planet:

box_n_c

I'm looking to breed a charolais heifer to a shorthorn bull. I'm looking for something clubby but still with calving ease. Any suggestions would be appretiated!

CoatsClubcalves

box_n_c said:
I'm looking to breed a charolais heifer to a shorthorn bull. I'm looking for something clubby but still with calving ease. Any suggestions would be appretiated!
From what I hear Jakes Proud Jazz may fit the bill

box_n_c

I will try to post a pic of her as soon as possible. She is a calf right now but I'm just trying to get a jump start on my program.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

JPJ would be perfect, if you have a real big framed cow or heifer he will size them down for you, plus you get all that calving ease.

Shorthorns4us

You could go lots of different directions with a Charolais heifer!

Jakes Proud Jazz is a good choice

SS Rock On at Jeremy Kennedy's could be a good cross

You could add some maternal strength with Byland Gold Spear or any of the Waukaru bulls.

also- check out the bulls that Studer's stand in Iowa-- Jazz Man, Time Traveler, Soul Train

mark tenenbaum

ALM Chiller-(Sonny-KABA-undisputed style and calving ease)  ELBEEs Wymore Bull-(DITTO-with undisputed rib and hip) RS Atter Hours-(DITTO-along with huge foot-some maine-white-BUT NOT NECESSARILY WHITE GENE) all these bulls are clean-stout-lots of progeny O0

xray88

In my personal opinion I would not breed to jpj!!! You will run into structure problems and you can kiss your length of front out the door. I have found on my cows he is not that much of a calving ease bull but I have yet to find a Shorthorn calving ease bull. I think ACE would work best on your cow because he can kept the front and style and his calves when born have smaller head and are easier for the cows to get out. Also I hate Jake's proud jazz

box_n_c

Thankss for all your opinions they have given me a lot to think about!

[email protected]

Here is something to think about. This bull is long gone.  We sold out just as we started to prove h im as a low BW bull.  His BW was in low 70s.  He was moderate boned, so he needed to be bred to something really stout.  He was as sound as a cat.  Sister and brothers won shows all over the world.  He is lined bred KABA.  Full sister won Oklahoma Youth Expo, Colorado State Fair, American Royal Jr. Shortie show.  We got less than 10 calves before we sold him.  One was res Champio at New Mexico State Fair..    He had the look but needed some bone to make him extra special.  He was just adequate in bone.  Semen is still available at Genetic Horizons  His name is Snappy.

Thought I would add this bull to your thoughts.  Not many good clubbie shorthorns out there with Low BW.
It would be fun to see what would happen if he was bred to a real nice, stout boned, deep bodied female.

Attachments

• mainimage.jpg
    mainimage.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 214
  • snappydenver.jpg
    snappydenver.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 209