Shorthorn x Angus bull calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

How's this for a Shorthorn/ Angus F1 bull calf?  

With 18 heifers and cows (and their calves) on stalks @ 15 months old in picture...

Attachments

• 1053 Pyro (Feelgood x 53) reduced.jpg
    1053 Pyro (Feelgood x 53) reduced.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Pyromania (Feelgood x 53) reduced.jpg
    Pyromania (Feelgood x 53) reduced.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 206
  • Pyro moving.JPG
    Pyro moving.JPG
    378.8 KB · Views: 209

kfacres

knabe said:
Looks fishy.

I think I just named him... Thanks Knabe.. you're the best ;D (thumbsup)

what all you don't like about him? Not enough forerib?/ not enough depth?  bone maybe slightly average?  narrow assed?  Big shouldered?  Come one, you need to explain yourself, otherwise people just wonder what you're talking about..

maybe it's the fact that his legs are covered in mud up to the knees, and his hair is all matted down, and full of dirt.. maybe it's cuz he's not a hairball TH carrier, or a monster boned, big assed PHA positive Maine..

I guess, I'll ETA my thoughts on the bull--

I think he's ok, not a great one, not a bad one..  I think he needs more body depth, and overall thickness-- he had it before we turned him in with the cows- but overall I thought his entire set of half siblings also needed those traits.  Ya, he's got scurs, but atleast they're not horns.  They only developed about 3 months ago.  

Our main goal, is just to create black calves to sell as feeders.. Don't really care what happens to them after that.  We don't also want to invest in a live walking bull- and don't have time to AI.  

His mother is a 9 year old coming cow, who weans our biggest calf every year, milks the hardest, and is the fattest through the offseason. 

knabe

[/quote]

Our main goal, is just to create black calves to sell as feeders.
[/quote]

Most interesting thing you've said in a while.

kfacres

Our main goal, is just to create black calves to sell as feeders.
[/quote]

Most interesting thing you've said in a while.
[/quote]

You should see the SA Commander calves that this group of black cows (with this bull) are nursing right now.. They're stretchy, and big assed.. and being born in the fall, should demand top dollar at the market place... Of course, they'll prob weigh 2000 lbs when done-- but o well...

ROMAX

Looks a little short bodied but apparently u don't care about that,my concern would be if ur using him on red cows he will throw red calves as he is hetero black.

kfacres

ROMAX said:
Looks a little short bodied but apparently u don't care about that,my concern would be if ur using him on red cows he will throw red calves as he is hetero black.

right on...  That's what I'm actually hoping for.. Red calves and blues from the red cows... blacks from the blacks.. Keeps both parties happy..

Thanks for the comments, it's not every day you see a bull calf in working clothes on here.

LLBUX

He is the kind that will top the feeder cattle market.     

$1.60/pound for 5 weight calves last week in Rushville!    That is where the money is.

Doing well at 15 months and with 18 cows.

kfacres

LLBUX said:
He is the kind that will top the feeder cattle market.      

$1.60/pound for 5 weight calves last week in Rushville!     That is where the money is.

Doing well at 15 months and with 18 cows.

Rushville heh..??  How far south are you?  I'm 8 miles north... course the cattle aren't.. but I am...

feeder cattle is what he is too make...

jaimiediamond

I will evaluate him on the first picture as the other two don't do him justice.  For me he is a slightly below average bull but it will be intersting to see how he develops.

Negatives based on this picture and I realize pictures can and always will be deceiving
: Appears to be rough through the shoulder
: Cuts in behind the shoulder
: tight through the flank
: gives up in lower hind quarter
: weak through the top

Positives
: He appears to be maintaining his flesh
: Appears to be structurally sound
: Depth of body

Attachments

• 1053 Pyro (Feelgood x 53) reduced.jpg
    1053 Pyro (Feelgood x 53) reduced.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 151

kfacres

jaimiediamond said:
I will evaluate him on the first picture as the other two don't do him justice.  For me he is a slightly below average bull but it will be intersting to see how he develops.

Negatives based on this picture and I realize pictures can and always will be deceiving
: Appears to be rough through the shoulder
: Cuts in behind the shoulder
: tight through the flank
: gives up in lower hind quarter
: weak through the top
Positives
: He appears to be maintaining his flesh
: Appears to be structurally sound
: Depth of body

agree with all points-
slightly below average is the goal- as already stated, he's being used to keep the color black in a set of black cows, to make feeder calves to sell at weaning... Why try to raise a good one if they'll be gone before anyone ever gets to see them? 
the third picture- is posted to show that he's not a crippled bull.  It shows he has reach on the front, and can send his hock way back on the rear. 

if creating black feeder calves is your goal or only concern then this line:  "His mother is a 9 year old coming cow, who weans our biggest calf every year, milks the hardest, and is the fattest through the offseason."  doesn't mean much.  Maternal characteristics don't mean a thing in a terminal bull. 

kfacres

MissouriMeadows said:
if creating black feeder calves is your goal or only concern then this line:  "His mother is a 9 year old coming cow, who weans our biggest calf every year, milks the hardest, and is the fattest through the offseason."  doesn't mean much.  Maternal characteristics don't mean a thing in a terminal bull. 

It might, meaning the genetics for growth are there...  you can't get growth, from a bull who doesn't grow himself, or come from a line who grows, or is hard feeding...  It's all linked together. 

You never know, he may make a great one, from a cow like his mother- or maybe even his mother- or a tornado may go through and wipe out the whole cowherd, thus forcing them to retain daughters. (argue)....