shorthorns

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

trevorgreycattleco said:
Captain Obv went to louisville and got buried. Fluff and puff beat him and I will bet ya not one of those bulls is worth a damn today. I never went to college for beef so  for the life of me I cant see what the judge sees in a overwieght heifer that is obviously older then what is stated, walkin around with so much fat in her udder it jiggles like my old man's beer gut. To me thats a waste of feed, money and time. Not to mention the heifer will never have a good chance to show what she can do. She will never milk to her potential and she never learned how to fend for herself in a pasture when they have to eat stockpiled fescue.  I wonder what the breed will look like when Im 56? 76?

I went to college on a judging scholarship-- and still can't figure it out either, seriously, your words are mine...  If you ever go to a show, and actually sit down and watch the classes, the best animal in there stands in about 3rd hole.  They are the most useful, practical, fundamental and have plenty of eye appeal.  how many times has the reserve champion been commented to being better than the champion?  zillion? 

The biggest setback behind show winners, is that they are ruint- simpily ruint for the real world scenario. 

You know I now have myself convinced that these people who are flushing these virgin heifers, and collecting these 11 month old bulls-- are doing the right thing.  They want to continue that bloodline forward, and know for a fact that animal will not live to be a 3 year old; and so are required to obtain those reproductive possibilities while they can..

It's a different world... 

trevorgreycattleco said:
There are so many types of black angus now they almost have little mimi breeds inside the big one. Its confusing as hell trying to figure out who is a good cattleman and who is a crook. All breeds have their own set of problems. 

how do you think this is different than the shorthorns?  Other than there are 1.5 million Angus cows in this country, and 300,000 shorthorns? 

trevorgreycattleco said:
I would like to see more cattle selected for show winners that more resemble the type that is profitable in the real world.

This is what I eluded to in the other topic set forth by Coyote on the pictures of his Saskvalley cattle.  The pendulm swings constantly- roughly 10 years or so.  once in 10 years do the showring winners resemble something practical in the real world, the rest of the time, it's way off balance.  I know that you don't have much experience outside the cattle industry, but I've got quite a bit in the sheep, and a tad limited in the swine ordeals.. and let me tell you- the other's aren't much better.  if I would pinpoint, I would say the winners in the swine world, are far more 'real world' than any in the other 2; and even then I think it's pushing it.  But atleast, i believe that a gilt can be mated to one sire, and produce females to retain, and show barrows in the same litter....  Try that in the cattle or sheep world? 

You know, everybody talks about the 'real world', what exactly is the real world?  I mean out in NE, Aaron's cattle live off of rocks, match sticks, and windmill fumes, where as in Brock's in Ohio-- there on lush grass and round bales.  At our house, it's endophyte fescue, tickle grass and some ground corn...  At somebody else's place, the 'real world'- is simply being pulled from the self feeder!

rackranch

WOW!!! You guys just reminded me why we stopped showing Shorthorn Heifers!!!

Did someone mention politics and bs?  Yes I think they did

kfacres

rackranch said:
WOW!!! You guys just reminded me why we stopped showing Shorthorn Heifers!!!

Did someone mention politics and bs?  Yes I think they did

What's that supposed to mean?  If you're talking about some hard feelings here, then you're wrong.. I have both TreverGreyCC and Feeder Ducks' phone numbers in my phone, doubt there's any hard feelings there.. I wouldn't mind have MarkT's number either.. Seems like a legit individual who's been through as bumpy of a life as the rest of us, underdog old shorthorn breeders.

aj

The pendulem swings mainly with show cattle. The commercial cattleman weren't impressed with the belt buckle cattle of the 50's. They weren't impressed with the frame 9 cattle of the 80's. Its always the showring goofballs swinging on a pendelum. In the Red Angus deal, Bectons and that bunch didn't do pendelum. They measured cattle for economic traits. They didn't give a damn about the showring. Take a herd Croissant's in Eastern Colorado. Red Angus. They don't do the mickey mouse stuff. They put all the bulls on test. They had 68 yearlings in their sale last year. They do sale order the cattle but they have the data there and they show it. Shazam they even list bwt's. I've never seen a "showring" bull in one of their pedigree's. The selection pressure of common sense bred in these cattle is immeasurable and it took years to get it. I'm leaning toward buying another bull from them cause I'm scared to death of buying a bull at Denver(Shorthorn). I don't know what drugs they have been on. I don't know the real birth weight or birth date. Half of them are out of the embryo transplant deal with no natural selection pressure in 3 generations. And with the small acreage deals around the country the show ring cattle have their own little market(big market) whatever. There are breeders like Lovings,Sneeds, and Aaron around but you almost have to hire a private investigator to figure out how the cattle are handled and whether or not to bid on them.jmo

M Bar

I think that all of you live in the basement with aluminum foil over your heads worrying about the government takeover and shorthorn mafias!    AJ, you really disguested me by not showing up on Saturday, (Billie agreed).  We had a nice time and looked at some really outstanding shorthorn cattle.  Not pampered, not pulled, not overaged, just some functional beef animals.  Get out and look around, there are a bunch of good shorthorn genetics offered, you just have to know where to look.  I have been off of this message board for about 7 months and, lo and behold, you are still bitching about the same stuff.  It sounds like I pulled in to the co-op to get some baling twine and had to listed to the "positive people" slurping up free coffee and griping.  If you are still reading, I am trying to lighten y'all up.

mark tenenbaum

M Bar said:
I think that all of you live in the basement with aluminum foil over your heads worrying about the government takeover and shorthorn mafias!    AJ, you really disguested me by not showing up on Saturday, (Billie agreed).  We had a nice time and looked at some really outstanding shorthorn cattle.  Not pampered, not pulled, not overaged, just some functional beef animals.  Get out and look around, there are a bunch of good shorthorn genetics offered, you just have to know where to look.  I have been off of this message board for about 7 months and, lo and behold, you are still *****ing about the same stuff.  It sounds like I pulled in to the co-op to get some baling twine and had to listed to the "positive people" slurping up free coffee and griping.  If you are still reading, I am trying to lighten y'all up.////-I dont think or say much about the mafia or the govt-but Ill jump in if I dont think somethings right-I also dont see that much bitching about the Trump go round-as the sole reason that Shorthorns arent used in the traditional commercial sense-they are just the wrong color.They have also gained the reputation as  scary calving along with a smaller( in pounds) end product-which is an early  growth curve they dont necessarily have as a single breed. The most positive x-breeding example ive seen lately-is the Eskimo Leggs thread further down from here--with a smallish but fat Leggs x Dr Who 1st calf hiefer nursing a calf almost as big as she is.I dont think any of the 3 British breeds can compete with the crossbreds,and I havent seen many first calvers that maintain like that.In fact a well known vet told me that the hardest calving etc cattle out there now are Herefords-I guess: produce  black Shorthorns-, forever show them,or produce x-breds WITH SOME SIZE and performance-people will use.Even in this backward black hided country-a blue roan allways breaks the bank. O0

aj

The report I got back was she wasn't impressed with a couple herds but loved the blue gate cattle.......especially the the captian obvious calf. I guess if you have something special going on with my wife we don't need to talk about it here. I have a goal and a specification for cattle that fit my oddball enviroment. It is a blue collar work ethic deal.On the day in question it was decided that I would haul the cattle into the vet to get them certified and whatever for the Kansas State fair. It had been put off for two weeks because of remodeling the working area. We decided after much debate that I would stay and she would go. She is a director of the board. If you don't like my comments you can kiss my ass. There comes a time when the truth should be spoken and not the horseshit. just my opinion.

aj

And don't get me wrong it takes guts to be the pres of the organization(cause its a thankless job). Keep up the good work.

feeder duck

M Bar said:
I think that all of you live in the basement with aluminum foil over your heads worrying about the government takeover and shorthorn mafias!    AJ, you really disguested me by not showing up on Saturday, (Billie agreed).  We had a nice time and looked at some really outstanding shorthorn cattle.  Not pampered, not pulled, not overaged, just some functional beef animals.  Get out and look around, there are a bunch of good shorthorn genetics offered, you just have to know where to look.  I have been off of this message board for about 7 months and, lo and behold, you are still *****ing about the same stuff.  It sounds like I pulled in to the co-op to get some baling twine and had to listed to the "positive people" slurping up free coffee and griping.  If you are still reading, I am trying to lighten y'all up.

Troy Troy Troy.....I do not use aluminum foil and I do not set in the basement. I have rigged a set of rabbit ears to one of those beer can helmets. Much better reception from the mother ship. I prefer to set in the front yard as well.  <alien> (lol) :eek:

The more things change the more they remain the same.
Rumor has it the Fathead I sent to Oklahoma looks @#$ good. I here she is entered at KC. They are to get me some pics when I get them I will shoot one your way. Are you guys going to Kurt and Paula's sale? Love to have and adult beverage and shoot the bull. No cow talk I promise!!!!

PEACE <rock>
Jeff

Waukaru

Jeff,
Didn't you hear?  Troy quit drinking.  He said it didn't help keep the voices quite anymore.

J

JTM

aj said:
I do think here is a possibility of gaining market share in the commercial bull market. If you have moderate framed cattle with least 3 generations of economical important traits. I think you will need to differeniate you product. They will need to be moderate. There are acres and acres of 1800 pound Shorthorn cows out there whose bull calves weigh 110# cows. They can eat 1 round bale aday a piece. I think the worm may turn eventually especially if the Angus cattle don't start watching cow size. jmo.....................It would be interesting to me to see data on how black exotic bulls have been selling. Are they accepted as a market share of commercial bulls or our they currently a fad? The black Limi,Simi,Gelbvieh and etc.
I agree with AJ, A&T, and Brock on this one. I also agree with some of what The Truth said but I do believe that Shorthorns are in a very interesting and exciting spot right now. If we can show that we have an outcross that can benefit the commercial Angus industry then we could be on to something. I think the Select Sires Shorthorn lineup is a step in the right direction and hopefully some black cow people will try some of those bulls. I can't imagine they are as good as the one I own and bought from Brock though...  <rock> (that one right up there on the left)

kfacres

JTM said:
aj said:
I do think here is a possibility of gaining market share in the commercial bull market. If you have moderate framed cattle with least 3 generations of economical important traits. I think you will need to differeniate you product. They will need to be moderate. There are acres and acres of 1800 pound Shorthorn cows out there whose bull calves weigh 110# cows. They can eat 1 round bale aday a piece. I think the worm may turn eventually especially if the Angus cattle don't start watching cow size. jmo.....................It would be interesting to me to see data on how black exotic bulls have been selling. Are they accepted as a market share of commercial bulls or our they currently a fad? The black Limi,Simi,Gelbvieh and etc.
I agree with AJ, A&T, and Brock on this one. I also agree with some of what The Truth said but I do believe that Shorthorns are in a very interesting and exciting spot right now. If we can show that we have an outcross that can benefit the commercial Angus industry then we could be on to something. I think the Select Sires Shorthorn lineup is a step in the right direction and hopefully some black cow people will try some of those bulls. I can't imagine they are as good as the one I own and bought from Brock though...  <rock> (that one right up there on the left)

O Josh, quite blowing smoke and self promoting... You're starting to remind me of the old liars club that visits this site... <beer> <rock> (clapping)

jaimiediamond

the truth said:
O Josh, quite blowing smoke and self promoting... You're starting to remind me of the old liars club that visits this site... <beer> <rock> (clapping)

Let’s get the definition of “to blow smoke” which is basically to deceive others.  I don’t think that there is any deception in this thread just a bunch of opinions formed by a bunch of cattle people from the experiences they are having with their cattle programs. 

quite or quit? Really Jody makes more sense if you at least use the correct word. 

A definition of “truth” is fact, the definition of fact is “something that actually exists” which makes me think that “the truth” is an awful user name for you since you are someone that has nothing positive to say with no factual basis about anything not even your own program (or lack thereof). 

kfacres

jaimiediamond said:
the truth said:

Let’s get the definition of “to blow smoke” which is basically to deceive others.  I don’t think that there is any deception in this thread just a bunch of opinions formed by a bunch of cattle people from the experiences they are having with their cattle programs. 

quite or quit? Really Jody makes more sense if you at least use the correct word. 

A definition of “truth” is fact, the definition of fact is “something that actually exists” which makes me think that “the truth” is an awful user name for you since you are someone that has nothing positive to say with no factual basis about anything not even your own program (or lack thereof). 

really?  Is that the best thing you could find to nit pick my posts?  I tell you what, just for that.. i'll change my user name.. Just for you!

JTM said:
What is this site for but to blow smoke and self promote...  ;D

\true, true ::)

M Bar

AJ, I heard about your lame excuse to not come, still ain't buying it.  The worst thing we saw was green grass and water in the ponds, bout made me cry.  Haven't had that at our house all summer.  In regard to your opinion and kissing you behind, I would prefer not to, it is much more fun to "poke a stick at you"  Gets a better laugh out of me....by the way, I am off the board next year, so be ready for a nomination!  Jeff, we'll probably come up to Kurt's, free food and beverages always bring out the free loaders.  I heard that your fathead looks good.  Metzger has one in his sale, took a really nice pic.  Jake and Matt came out to look at our pasture cows and Matt didn't throw up, so they must be OK (granted I gave him a cold one to wash the bad taste out of his mouth first).  

rarebirdz

Ur new user name is more fitting ;)
jd probably coulda dun better but I enjoyed her effert

aj

I shall not seek.........nor will I accept..........a presidential nomination.........to the United States shorthorn society of Kansas.

M Bar

You do know what "railroad" is, right?  I have some backing to get it done too.  Special interst groups, such as the "S H I T T Y"  Sod House Is Terrific, Tacky, and a "Yes" man are gunning to get you the presidency.