Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Okotoks

There must be some new sires with calving ease to list this year. We had great success with Diamond Young Baron 54Y and Diamond Yardstick 29Y. This year we are using Eionmor Piper 23Z on our yearling heifers. He had a 86lb birth weight out of a mature cow. His dam has a cross of Diamond Hubback 33H so brings a few things from our program back as well. Hubback was by Diamond Fame an easy calving bull and out of Diamond Bella Dottie 47B. The sire of 23Z , Eionmor Royal Piper left both good bulls and daughters so will be interesting to see how 23Z works. A large group of our cows are being bred to a son of Easy, Coalpit Creek Leader 6th. 219Z was selected more for his performance than calving ease and we loved the phenotype of both his sire and dam. Seeing service in a group consisting mostly of Diamond Prophecy 21P daughters is Herbourne B Manitoba Gus 13Z, a white bull I consider a performance bull and he is in my opinion a very sound attractive bull. Most of his group are reds so should have lots of roans from him next year!

jaimiediamond

kiblercattle said:
Okotoks let see a pic of your easy son.

Here is a picture of the 219Z bull taken today (a very difficult task as he was after another hot cow).  He has been working really hard since he got turned out 2 weeks ago he has already bred 20 head!

Attachments

• YY Leader's Mission 219Z.jpg
    YY Leader's Mission 219Z.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 214

jaimiediamond

Thought I would add our new heifer bull Eionmor Piper 23Z who is with 30 heifers right now.  The heifers in the group are from Diamond, as well as Butterfield, Newbiggon, and Northern

Attachments

• Eionmor Piper 23Z.jpg
    Eionmor Piper 23Z.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 213
J

JTM

I can now confidently add A&T Renegade 124 to the list. Here is a picture of him yesterday on pasture as a 2 year old. Available at Cattle Visions. $25

Attachments

• Renegade late spring 2013 resized 1.jpg
    Renegade late spring 2013 resized 1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 224

RyanChandler

JR DROVER 05X ET

-80lb bw

-solid red, every calf I've had has been solid red even out of some loud roans.

-throws/has more muscle/shape and extension than ANY comparably bred bull in the breed.  Just take a look at that hip!

Attachments

• drover.jpg
    drover.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 296

Okotoks

I really like the smooth front end on JR Drover to go with his good hip, he is a very attractively put together bull (thumbsup)

jaimiediamond

Duncraggan said:
Two good looking bulls there Jaimie, like the length on E. Piper 23Z! <beer>

I also like the length on the Piper bull.  I had been of him since last December.  I have to say I was chuffed when we bought him March 26.  He is currently out with 30 heifers

BW 86lbs Birth Date 03/11/12 Nov 6 2012 weight 732lbs March 26 2013 weight 1212lbs scrotal 35cm ADG 3.43

-XBAR- said:
JR DROVER 05X ET

-80lb bw

-solid red, every calf I've had has been solid red even out of some loud roans.

-throws/has more muscle/shape and extension than ANY comparably bred bull in the breed.  Just take a look at that hip!

This bull is awesome, love his hip
JTM said:
I can now confidently add A&T Renegade 124 to the list. Here is a picture of him yesterday on pasture as a 2 year old.

I have enjoyed looking at the offspring you've been posting of the Renegade bull.

Okotoks

Attachments

• JT Ugly Joe.jpg
    JT Ugly Joe.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 280

RyanChandler

I saw him on Facebook today. Great looking bull!  I know if I had the challenges that climate offers I would be 'calving with nature' in May.

Okotoks

Lots of calves die during April May snow storms plus the incidence of scours goes way up. We used to calve January February and three years ago dropped to April May calving. A 3 day blizzard the end of April through the begiining of May saw hundreds of calves smothered under snow drifts. We spent hours moving calves behind round bale wind breaks and making sure they didn't drift with the storm. Now we are gradually moving the calving earlier because each year we have wished we had calved earlier. We have been lucky to get rain the last week but it has been pretty cold on the young calves on pasture, always amazes me what the little guys can survive.

SeannyT

Okotoks said:
Here's an interesting bull from JT Shorthorns in Manitoba. A son of Buster he looks to be even better at calving ease. Interesting pedigree. Too bad he was born in such cold weather, he would be anything but "ugly" if he had ears and a tail!
JT Ugly Joe's pedigree link

http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/extended_pedigree.cgi?_breedcode=MS&_countrycode=CAN&_regnumberprefix=M&_regnumber=473807&_regnumbersuffix=&_association=21

Glad to see my bull is getting lots of attention. People on Facebook seem to enjoy him as well. He has shown tremendous growth in his offspring with all kinds of shape which pleasantly surprised us as his BW is below 70lbs. His muscling is incredible, which has shown up in his calves too (he has sired the odd double muscled calf as well). This Buster calf has worked very well for us.

knabe

test your bull prospects out of him and identify the thickest one that isn't a carrier.

there is a test for dm from ingenity.

GM

Okotoks said:
Here's an interesting bull from JT Shorthorns in Manitoba. A son of Buster he looks to be even better at calving ease. Interesting pedigree. Too bad he was born in such cold weather, he would be anything but "ugly" if he had ears and a tail!
JT Ugly Joe's pedigree link

http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/extended_pedigree.cgi?_breedcode=MS&_countrycode=CAN&_regnumberprefix=M&_regnumber=473807&_regnumbersuffix=&_association=21

Wow!!!  The pedigree doesn't surprise me.  What surprises me is people who think they need to cross breed shorthorns to get that type of beefy look.  JT has it going on up there! Well done! 

Okotoks

I hope next year we can add Eionmor Piper 23Z to the list! One of the easiest calving bulls we ever used was Eionmor Ideal 61M.
Piper is pictured here on pasture with some of the 31 heifers he is with.

Attachments

• Eionmor Piper 23Z.jpg
    Eionmor Piper 23Z.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 184

Okotoks

I dedcided to drag one of the all time most popular threads out of the archives! I was looking at Diamond Prophecy 21P's numbers from two years ago and his calving ease and birth weights have both improved.

2011's #'s    CE+7.0  BW-2.9    WW12    YW27  Milk6    MW 12    MCE 1.0
Fall 2013 #'s  CE+7.5  BW-3.5    WW10    YW25  Milk5    MW 10    MCE 1.0 
$CEZ/  %35.03/10
$F/    %25.54/20
$BMI  /%26.74/20 

There are several other bulls that show improvements in CE and BW's
Anyone know of new bulls or one's are that moving in the right direction in these traits?  The Saskvalley Task Force 105T stands out with a CE of 11.9 and Waukaru Gold Mine 2109 of 12.7

sue

Here is probably a bull to look at with "total improvement" :  High Acc  ( above 40% )  and more then  51 total progeny  REg # 4078267  ....  Good topic Dan !