Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

r.n.reed

I really like Coyote's Hero bull.I just couldn't resist though when Okotoks said he had the best calving ease# in the whole thread.This guy is 13.0  :)Sorry Oakview another boring red one but he has sired some classic roans. ;D

Attachments

• DSC07700 (1024x768).jpg
    DSC07700 (1024x768).jpg
    589 KB · Views: 251

oakview

Just having some fun, as you probably know.  I like red ones, too.  In fact, my fovorite herd bull ever was a red one.  If Zulu's calves keep looking like the first few do, though, my favorite bull ever may change! 

Wasn't kidding about the black ones, though.

r.n.reed

Coyote,that is the Frontline Bull x4166343,Librarian is this the bull your thinking of?There is some connection to Beowulf through Port O Call but I am not seeing much connection otherwise.It wouldn't bother me a bit if they were closely related.
Oakview how about some Zulu calf pictures?This baby is a typical Frontline heifer calf.She is 4 1/2 mo.old and happens to be a full sister to our Double Brute bull.

Attachments

• DSC07731 (1024x768).jpg
    DSC07731 (1024x768).jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 240

librarian

Yes I meant Frontline, but I had to go  do my homework again to learn that there are several Highlanders. So, sorry Beowulf, its a pretty distant relationship. The picture of 80C on the Eionmor site looks like he is not full grown. Does someone have a picture of him as an older animal.

Duncraggan

r.n.reed said:
I really like Coyote's Hero bull.I just couldn't resist though when Okotoks said he had the best calving ease# in the whole thread.This guy is 13.0  :)Sorry Oakview another boring red one but he has sired some classic roans. ;D
Superb bull there r.n.reed!

coyote

MURIDALE SKOLL 38Y
CE 13.4
Sorry r.n.reed and Okotoks this guy has a little higher ce.
Warner Ranch in Wyoming own him.

Attachments

• skoll.jpg
    skoll.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 290

Okotoks

But now that I have done some checking on these new EPD's the winner is JR CONQUEST 62K with a calving ease of 22.2 and a BW of -6.5 and an MCE of 10.5 (thumbsup)

That Muridale Skoll 38Y and Wolf Ridge Frontline are two fine looking bulls!

Okotoks

r.n.reed said:
Coyote,that is the Frontline Bull x4166343,Librarian is this the bull your thinking of?There is some connection to Beowulf through Port O Call but I am not seeing much connection otherwise.It wouldn't bother me a bit if they were closely related.
Oakview how about some Zulu calf pictures?This baby is a typical Frontline heifer calf.She is 4 1/2 mo.old and happens to be a full sister to our Double Brute bull.
That is is a very good looking heifer calf (thumbsup)

I don't know if Oakview has any pics of Zulu calves yet but here are a couple born here in the spring. The first one is out of a Northern Legend 3N 8 year old cow and was 94 lbs. unassisted. (Granddam by Gafa Captain Macbest 6G r.n. reed!)
The second is out of a 4 year old Diamond Temperture Rising 28T dauhgter. The dam weighed 1235 lbs this fall, a little short of the ton cows some like to promote our herd as being made up of. There are a few girls pushing the 1800 though but they are always fat and raise good calves so they will be here for a while. The second heifer calf weighed 95 lbs unassisted.
The 3rd photo is of the dams of the Zulu heifers in pics 2 and 4. They are both Diamond Tempertaure Rising 28T daughters.
The 4th photo is a Zulu heifer calf born unassited at 86 lbs. She is out of 11X in the 3rd pic.
The 12 generation inbreeding coefficient on the calves for those that might be interested is
43B  7.45%
47B  4.6%
61B  5.12%

Attachments

• Diamond Minnie Searle 11 and Zulu.heifer.calf.jpg
    Diamond Minnie Searle 11 and Zulu.heifer.calf.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 315
  • Diamond Baronees 47B.jpg
    Diamond Baronees 47B.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 11X.and.17X.by.28T.jpg
    11X.and.17X.by.28T.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 307
  • Diamond.Bright.Dawn.61B (1).jpg
    Diamond.Bright.Dawn.61B (1).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 303

r.n.reed

Lookin good Okotoks and I don't think the dams hurt those calves one bit. ;D.I think Oakview has every right to be optimistic. I will never forget that night for many reasons but watching 6g walk out of his shed made me forget that I had never been colder in my whole life.
Coyote I think that Skoll bull could make some friends for the breed!

oakview

We have 3 Zulu calves so far.  All heifers, all polled, one red, one white, one red with a white star on the forehead, birth weights very moderate, from 72 to 88.  The 88 pounder is out of a pretty large cow, the other two out of more moderate sized females.  I am very happy with the calves.  My busy schedule along with rain every other day has prevented me from taking pictures.  The sun is supposed to come out tomorrow, so maybe this weekend.  We should have 25-30 Zulu calves in the spring. 

phillse

A little off topic but does anyone know the mature weight and frame size of Ar Su Lu Osage 502.

Okotoks

It's interesting how many of the calving ease bulls (low birth weight, high CE) on the new EPD's have Saskvalley or Keith Lauer breeding in them.

RyanChandler

Okotoks said:
It's interesting how many of the calving ease bulls (low birth weight, high CE) on the new EPD's have Saskvalley or Keith Lauer breeding in them.

It only takes you using 1 bull with high ce / low bw as a reference sire to really get your herds epds moving.  I think many of these large spreads are the result of the 'first mover advantage.'