Show Barn Design --Opinions Wanted

Help Support Steer Planet:

knighthawk

I have spent countless hours researching and trying to come up with what i believe to be a nice show barn. We already have a barn suitable for working cows, so this is strictly for show calves. Opinions wanted.
It is kind of hard to see in the pictures, but the entire right side except for the first 8' is open. the stalls are enclosed with river rode gates. The barn is 48'x80'x12' overall. Thanks!

ruhtram

I can kind of see the picture but it won't blow up so I can take a closer look...Either way the overall design looks good just can't read the fine print

ruhtram

Im not sure how to resize the image but the was a thread on here about how to do that

knighthawk

Also, when designing this, how big of a turnout lot do you think is optimal? The pens and lots will be used for show calves (bulls, heifers, and the occasional steer) as well as overflow calving and such. Plan on using these pens/runs as weaning pens too. Thanks.

kidsandkows

From what I can tell it looks good, cant read the fine print either. Are you keeping right side of barn open for hay or pens or what exactly? Just curious! Maybe like a 20 X 40 on the turnouts, I guess it depends on how many head you are thinking you might have in there at once.

cowman 52

Would think longer than wide, alleys that are wide make working hard.  Design it like you were working cattle on foot, by yourself, and none are halter broke. 10x50 turn outs, maybe 10 x 50 and 50 wide at the far end.
Keep the working alone part in mind,  that is when the design will be appreciated.
Afternoon heat here is a problem,  we put an upstairs on the west end,  by 4 in the afternoon it starts cooling down quickly.

CAB

Is the building already up? If not, I like the width of the building to be 3 times the pen size. Example if your pens are 10ft by 10ft, make the building 30 ft wide. That way when you open a pen up to get a calf/cow in, it can't run past the gate. It almost has to go in the open pen. If your pens are 12ft deep, make the building 36ft wide. That's all that I can tell you from my experience. Can't see the picture well enough to figure much out. I would try to visit some places that have been around & working for awhile B4 I built one.

knighthawk

Hopefully this picture will work out better. By the right side being open, I meant there is no wall. I like the idea of a 14' ceiling height. Our current building that we use for cattle is 60'x120' with a 36' lean-to on one side. we use the main 60x120 part for hay and equipment storage and the rest is set up with calving pens/runs and a working chute. Would like to build a new barn to get all the show calves out of my calving pens. Our current barn has a 12' aisle and when it comes time to strip down pens with the skid steer, that becomes a little too narrow. Thanks for all the ideas.

Attachments

• photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    728.5 KB · Views: 548

mark tenenbaum

Ive been a builder for many years. I think that you should make sure that anything related to water is beyond CODE in your area for frost-other than that-a sixteen foot ally way  between the left side and the stalls IS A HUGE WASTE OF SPACE IF YOU ARE DEALING WITH CATTLE-I wouldnt think you would need more than six to eight foot MAXIMUM alleyway to pen or turn any type of cattle-and ADD THAT gained WIDTH to your stalls-in case you need to further partition any of them for various reasons. Although the innards of the barn are somewhat offset,framing the pens or the other side should not be dependent upon the overall footprint. O0