Show Calf Prices

Help Support Steer Planet:

ChristaCheatham

Yes I guess that I will just have to look around and see what's out there for the right price.I've got 4 or 5 places I'm planning on visiting the first of October. If you know of anyone that sells for reasonable prices in the central Indiana area let me know!!

farmboy

A lot of money is advertising dollars. I know Matt bought several calves for big money in the smackdown sales that I wouldn't pay 2000 for. As many have stated you're either competitive or just in it for a good time. If you want to be competitive you've got to pay for quality.

knabe

Zach said:
I know Matt bought several calves for big money in the smackdown sales that I wouldn't pay 2000 for.

Some people won't pay 2 but they will pay 5 or more for the same calf for a variety of reasons.

ChristaCheatham

I'm just looking for a calf that would be pretty competitive at my county fair and at some local open shows. Not really looking for calves that are in the hunt for state fair.... but I would like to show my calf at state fair sometime.

knabe

define competitive.

4th in a class of 8?  eight is a lot in a class at least out here.

ChristaCheatham

Competitive in my county fair as in the hunt for Grand Champion with the fair not being overly competitive in cattle. (Grand Champion may place in the middle of a state fair class). and for open shows yes the middle and up would be my goal. this year I was placing in the bottom half of the class.

knabe

so describe the steers that placed above you.

were they more finished?, better hair, better fitted, different breeding, had other people do the work?

what are the hallmarks of their success?

can you list 10 things?

from that list of 10 things, which 3 can you make the most improvement?

ChristaCheatham

The steers above were better in that yes they did have better hair, more finished, a more defined quarter, thicker from behind, more dropped in the flank, more compact and shorter bodied from the side profile, walked with more style, bred from a newer bull, more depth of body, and thicker over their loin. I can make an improvement from the next purchase in choosing a steer as if he looks like a finished steer for his frame size (that would clear up the deeper bodied, flank and more compact steer). Also I could take more time in running my hands over the steer for hair and what is actually underneath the hair. I could also choose a steer who's dad is a more recent bull who's had a lot of success.

twistedhshowstock

A couple things I would warn you on there in your search.  First decide what is more important to you, the open jackpot shows or the county show where you want your steer to finish.  Steers that look finished when they are younger and smaller often dont grow off as well and tend to not do as well at their end point show.  Its not a definate, there are some exceptions, but often times the steers that do really well at endpoint shows kinda flew under the radar at a lot of jackpots(a lot of that has to do with judges at jackpots also and if they truly view the calves as prospects or if they still try to judge a prospect like he is finished, but thats a whole other pet peeve of mine that we will get into later).  The other thing is the part where you said look for a steer whose dad is siring more winners recently.  When I am looking at prospects I dont even let their pedigree enter the equation until I have decided if I do or dont like the individual.  The only time that a steers sire really makes a huge difference to me is with situations like some sires that are known to throw calves that look amazing young, but never finish or fall apart as they get bigger, and some sires that sire calves that may look mediocre really young but are known to just take off and be good when they are older.  Following the latest trends in sires can sometimes lead to you paying more for a pedigree when the calf itself isnt as good!

knabe

ShowSteerGirl101 said:
The steers above were better in that yes they did have better hair, more finished, a more defined quarter, thicker from behind, more dropped in the flank, more compact and shorter bodied from the side profile, walked with more style, bred from a newer bull, more depth of body, and thicker over their loin. I can make an improvement from the next purchase in choosing a steer as if he looks like a finished steer for his frame size (that would clear up the deeper bodied, flank and more compact steer). Also I could take more time in running my hands over the steer for hair and what is actually underneath the hair. I could also choose a steer who's dad is a more recent bull who's had a lot of success.

that has to be the most clear and concise post you have ever written.

ChristaCheatham

twistedshowstock- Thanks for the advice! The county fair is more important to me than any jack pot show. Therefore, I should be more concerned on how the steer will grow and put on weight towards the end when it really counts, and not pushing him for an open show. I need to keep an open mind at open shows in order to learn and just have fun showing. As far as sires, what you said makes a lot of more sense. It should depend on how complete and sound  the calf is and how we will finish instead of just looking at the father.

knabe- Thanks for the compliment. I've really started to think more on this whole concept. In fact, when I got my steer's hooves clipped today, the guy showed me his calves for next year. He had a lot of great calves so I might stop by there again in the fall. Butin all aspect, these guys are trying to SELL me something. Cattle people are indeed good salesmen. (I've sold him for $30,000 and his full sib is only 1500). I must learn to keep an open mind in buying product from a seller and look at my budget and find the best quality calf that I can for that price. Then, put all my hard work into creating the finishing product for the year.

farmboy

knabe said:
Zach said:
I know Matt bought several calves for big money in the smackdown sales that I wouldn't pay 2000 for.

Some people won't pay 2 but they will pay 5 or more for the same calf for a variety of reasons.

I was putting emphasis on a certain group of calves. Coughwolfridgelandandlivestockcough.  I guess I'd run up every calf sired by my bulls too coughMonopolyTraincough