Show cattle law?

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

With all the talk of retaining cell lines.....and people sueing because their cattle might get kicked of assn's and etc. Is there such a class as show cattle law in Universities? Are there firms that handle this stuff? Have any precedents been set it law history? Seems like to me all disclaimers say essentially very little. Say some disgruntled employees show up with testimony and video of a calf being born 3 months earlier than reported on the registration. I assume alot of breed assn's have a lawyer on call. It would be interesting if one compile all the types of lawsuits that have occured over the years.

aj

I may change careers and become a show box chaser. Another thought......I spose the IRS is always interestedin exposing hobbie farms but its a little different deal.

GoWyo

Retention of cell lines and what were the terms of the agreement comes down to contract law.

If the question involves the rules or bylaws of an association; i.e. whether and animal should be registered under the rules or bylaws, the issue is corporate law.  There is a pending lawsuit against the American Quarter Horse Association to allow registering clones.  http://www.aqha.com/AQHA-Cloning-Lawsuit-Resources.aspx

DNA is potential evidence, and assuming that the evidence is reliable, it could be used to prove any number of issues where an animal's identity is in issue. 

aj

I'll be the old guy.....in suspenders....walking around......pretending to be drunk......following the belt buckle bunnies.....with a camera in the end of my........................show stick......knabe.

aj

If your 40,000 dollar steer bumped into a 30,000 dollar steer.......in the showring.......would you need collision insurance......or just liability? Thanks in advance.

GoWyo

Get full coverage.  Make sure you have the maximum coverage for Uninsured Showman and Under-Insured Showman (US/UIS coverage) because the other guy will probably be showing without insurance.

DCIL

It wouldn't matter all claims would be handled as ACV and your high dollar calf at 900# is only worth $1,500. They may give you enough to purchase an adult beverage.

GoWyo

You need to buy the "Elite Show Cattle Rider" to collect your replacement cost for another fancy steer.

aj

What level of trash talking..........is acceptable......in the show ring? What about packing heat? Could one open carry in the show ring........pack a glock in there at your side? What about concealed carry. Thanks in advance.

ejoe326

On a more serious note, hauling needs to be a real concern.

There are some real predators out there.  It's easy to rush to find a hauler especially when you want your calf home and there is a trailer in the area.  Get it all in writing.  I cannot stress this enough.  Get the price to haul and what it includes, if it's delivered to your barn or you are meeting and whose insurance covers what.  Make sure you proof of the haulers insurance and check to see it's valid.  Make sure you put in writing a penalty clause.  If your calf shows up 24 hours late because the hauler was wandering around the countryside, he should not get top dollar.  Compare rates and ask around for references.  If nothing else, do a google search to find out if your hauler is a convicted felon on probation.

If this all seems like too much trouble send me a message and I'll let you know why it's not.  Cattle are high and I prefer not to let common criminals rip off my customers.

aj

To me......its intertaining that you are worried about about a juvinele deliquent.....who inherited a 60,000 dollar pickup and a 20,000 dollar trailer from grand pa pa.....And he is hauling a 30,000$ steer who is a ds,th, and pha carrier...and his mother was a receipt cow....that was shot in the head......after a c sect calf...was cut out the side.....sold by the the junior producer of the year(of any given breed).....it gets to be be hilarious after a while.

ejoe326

Oh this guy is not a juvenile.  He's 33 and has an extensive criminal record mostly for fraud but some violent stuff.  He's had more than one major accident killing livestock he's hauling.

He likes to "forget" to drop off calves and hold them hostage for a grossly inflated price.

He was hauling a 2000 th/pha clean registered purebred heifer for my kid that saved his hard earned money.  There is no club calf anything involved and even if there were it does not give a con man running a scam the right to steal from hard working people.