Show Cattle Prices

Help Support Steer Planet:

SlickTxMaine

If you know how to feed them right, you can take an average calf and beat out some of the higher priced ones!  We have friends that pay twice what we do for our kids' calves but don't quite know how to feed them well.  The end result, they get beat out by cheaper calves.  So, what do they do next year???  They pay more for their kids' calves!! 

Pay what you feel comfortable paying, but educate yourself on feeding programs.  If your kids learn something each year to improve their chances the following year - I think you have been successful.  Good luck!

ba

SlickTxMaine said:
If you know how to feed them right, you can take an average calf and beat out some of the higher priced ones!  We have friends that pay twice what we do for our kids' calves but don't quite know how to feed them well.  The end result, they get beat out by cheaper calves.  So, what do they do next year???  They pay more for their kids' calves!! 

Pay what you feel comfortable paying, but educate yourself on feeding programs.  If your kids learn something each year to improve their chances the following year - I think you have been successful.  Good luck!

(clapping) <party>  Hit the nail pretty much dead on. You do not have to out spend them, out feed an work them!

DLD

mainecattlemother said:
...  We can life with a little short strided if it has good spring of rib and depth of body...

You have some good thoughts on saving money, but please don't skimp on structure - shows aren't won just standing still anymore.  You might get along alright sometimes with a short strided one, but you'll surely get beat because of it sometimes too.  Take your time, don't get stuck on "name brands" (don't be afraid to shop them either - just don't feel like you have to buy there) and don't be afraid to buy a little greener one.  You may have to work a little harder to find what you're looking for, but they're still out there.

cowpoke

I took the bigger end of my calves to a special sale at Algona Ia and calves were not weaned but had shots and I had already sold 32 head for club work or replacements .They were all baldies,smokes or blacks and fancy born in March and April and one group weighing 653#brought $301 per 100 and a group of 583# brought $327so around $1900 minus commission.I usually sell them private to same feeder but He was redoing his lot and I was thinking $275 a 100# seemed about right.Low corn and hay prices and fats above $160 make it a risky business..Most online sales are flooring at $1800/2000.I know of some high dollar calves that when the photo shot is thrown away, the hair grows back, and extra feed wears off they will look similar to all the rest.I know the ISF paid about $20K take home after commission and it is not easy to win.I like to sell them but I am not sure what we are teaching our youth.