Show/clipping question

Help Support Steer Planet:

tadpole

Im am going to be showing for the first time on the 24th.  I was wondering kinda what everyone's routine was at a show.  Weigh in's are from 2-4 and the show starts at six so I was wondering when I would need to start getting them ready or like I said before what a good routine would be.  Also how long before a show does everyone do their final clip on their calf like three weeks before the show or a week or what?  Thanks for any help! Chad

farmboy

get there, unload, tie up your calves and get weighed in and registered. offer water and some feed. go and mosey around and look at other calves. come back and check again. about 2 hours before you actually show, you need to wash with soap. get him squeaky clean. come back and get him dried off as much as possible. full feed and full water and full hay. We usually start fitting about 15 minutes before our class should be up or about 5-7 classes ahead of time. just keep the manure out of there after you wash him. ours usually get clipped for the show the day before we go or the actual day of the show.

Ric

similar except start fitting closer to 30 minutes ahead and usually finishing up clipping the day of

Dusty

I do the final clipping about 1 week to 12 hours before the show.  Once there I try to let them eat drink.  I like the calf to be in the chute 2 hours before I think he'll get called to the ring.  I would rather have a calf ready and do some final touch ups for the the last half hour then have to be rushed.  I usually like to set some time towards the end to get some fluids in them if need be.

bcosu

yeah, i definitely try and get the calf in the chute with plenty of time like dusty. however, if the calf isn't used to standing long or hasn't laid down all day before you put it in the chute then i try and limit the amount of time in the chute as little as possible.

kirk stierwalt always says as a rule of thumb 2 mins for every animal is how long it should take the judge so i always count the classes and number in and try to have no less than 25-30 calves or about an hour to fit if they are going to have to stand for a long time.

make sure you get everything done though so it doesn't hurt to start early. if you get done fast then get them out and walk them around and offer them water or more feed.

ROMAX

Yeah its surprising how fast an hour goes by when you are fitting them for the show,be sure to leave youself plenty of time!!!at least an hour.

furinsilex

we like to wash everything as soon as we weigh and then let them bed down if they want. Then start fitting an hour before or more of less depending on the show and how many we brought

herefordfootball

zach said:
get there, unload, tie up your calves and get weighed in and registered. offer water and some feed. go and mosey around and look at other calves. come back and check again. about 2 hours before you actually show, you need to wash with soap. get him squeaky clean. come back and get him dried off as much as possible. full feed and full water and full hay. We usually start fitting about 15 minutes before our class should be up or about 5-7 classes ahead of time. just keep the manure out of there after you wash him. ours usually get clipped for the show the day before we go or the actual day of the show.

Same as Zach, but we start fitting like half hour before our class, about 8-10 classes a head of time, that way if something goes wrong you have plenty of time to fix it.(Calf lays down after it's fitted).

DCC_Cattle

I usually clip my cattle out about 3 days before the show. Then after we get to the show and let the heifers settle in, we wash them and clip them again (just touching up). Start fitting about 20-30 minutes before you show in class. Good Luck!