Show feed

Help Support Steer Planet:

AAOK

Carlson Cattle said:
What is the best show feed out there?? What are some of the best things to put in you show feed?? Thanks

Give me a call some evening if you have questions.

In His grip,
Dan

ssr

BRdoc said:
AAOK's recipe is really good. I also got tired of paying for Purina Show Chow. Have been feeding Dan's ration for over a year. Along with a GOOD mineral, it's hard to beat. I didn't notice one difference in performance. I was feeding a yearling heifer that was fed Show Chow the season before and that heifers weanling full sister.
Dan is a great guy and surely would talk to anyone in more detail about the ration.
What is this Dan Mix?

Doc

ssr said:
BRdoc said:
AAOK's recipe is really good. I also got tired of paying for Purina Show Chow. Have been feeding Dan's ration for over a year. Along with a GOOD mineral, it's hard to beat. I didn't notice one difference in performance. I was feeding a yearling heifer that was fed Show Chow the season before and that heifers weanling full sister.
Dan is a great guy and surely would talk to anyone in more detail about the ration.
What is this Dan Mix?

Go to Home at the top of this page , then click on Frontpage home. It's towards the bottom.

Cattle Cards

When I was younger, showing cattle in 4-H, we had our own feed mixed at the local mill.  Course that was before you had all the commercial brands like today.  You need to select a balanced ration and can easily copy any of the popular brands out there; Showmaster, Purina, or Martindale Feeds.  Your source of protein may vary depending on where you live and what's readily available.  Add the mineral, salt and molasses.  Mix in some beet pulp for fill, at home, and if you want to use some Sure Champ or any other additive as you feed, you could.  It's really going to depend on the distance to the nearest feed mill, amount you order and ration you choose.  If you're buying a lot of feed, it is worth looking into.
<cowboy>

KSanburg

I was sick of paying the big name price too, Purina honours finish feed is going right at $19 per 50# in our area, but I did find Purina cattle chow H2 at 13% protein and then used it as a base used Grand-T-4tifier and sure champ and have had the best success we have had in years and we have been able to keep the cost under $400 a ton.

KSanburg

No doubt about it being expensive, best you can do is make it as easy on the pocket book as you can.  I am just glad my kids steers will be gone in 3 weeks and I don't have to buy another bag for a couple of months. LOL Of course my freezer will look much better then too, and the rid eyes will be superb.

CAB

pjkjr4 said:
We used to have a ration made very similar to Dan's, but this year, thanks to some coaxing from Josh Ramsey, we switched to Essential. Too early to tell, but from what I've seen so far, it's been very impressive. The biggest difference I've noticed thus far, is the fact that in very hot conditions (got up to 104 yesterday), our steers will walk away from the shaded barn with fans on, to go out in the hot sun to go eat. May be the cattle, but I really feel that it's the feed. In years past, that's never happened. Also, the corn that was used in the ration we had made, was Oklahoma-grown, low test weight (48-55 pound test weight) I can't help but think that Nebraska corn would be much higher quality.  I'm using the Essential 12% grower right now, (this is for fall-borns)with a pound of Essential Beef Designer mineral, and 2 pounds of Sure Champ per day.

Time will tell how well this works, but so far, I'm very impressed!

Where in Nebraska is Essential basesd out of?

firesweepranch

Mtnman said:
No doubt about it being expensive, best you can do is make it as easy on the pocket book as you can.  I am just glad my kids steers will be gone in 3 weeks and I don't have to buy another bag for a couple of months. LOL Of course my freezer will look much better then too, and the rid eyes will be superb.

Just had our first t-bones from our red simmental steer, and YUMMY! He is going to be good eating!!!!!! 890 pound hanging weight and almost no fat in the hamburger, I think our daughter did a fantastic job!!!!

cyclone38

I have a ration using HSC Grand 4-T-Fyer that I have mixed and bagged at my local mill. I have had great results with it. It costs me $22/ton more than what Dan's ration is and that is without figuring in the cost of mineral to his ration. This is all using local prices which people should do before making wholesale changes.

pjkjr4

CAB said:
pjkjr4 said:
We used to have a ration made very similar to Dan's, but this year, thanks to some coaxing from Josh Ramsey, we switched to Essential. Too early to tell, but from what I've seen so far, it's been very impressive. The biggest difference I've noticed thus far, is the fact that in very hot conditions (got up to 104 yesterday), our steers will walk away from the shaded barn with fans on, to go out in the hot sun to go eat. May be the cattle, but I really feel that it's the feed. In years past, that's never happened. Also, the corn that was used in the ration we had made, was Oklahoma-grown, low test weight (48-55 pound test weight) I can't help but think that Nebraska corn would be much higher quality.  I'm using the Essential 12% grower right now, (this is for fall-borns)with a pound of Essential Beef Designer mineral, and 2 pounds of Sure Champ per day.

Time will tell how well this works, but so far, I'm very impressed!

Where in Nebraska is Essential basesd out of?

I believe it's York Nebraska. They have a website. Just google Essential Show Feeds.

JnK showcattle

We use umbarger cattle blaster as well and then add cotton seed hulls. Great feed id recommend that. Get on umbargers website to look up whats all in it. Great people to work with and they give kids rewards for winning with an animal that is fed their feed, coats etc.