Show Heifer Feed

Help Support Steer Planet:

BigNSoTX

We're new to the heifer game and will have 2 on feed this year (Hereford and Chi/Percentage Simmi). We've fed steers for 3 years and I fed them growing up. What do you feed them? I've read tons of stuff and it's all different. We feed steers Nutrena Beefmaker 12 to grow steers until we move to a Sunglo finishing ration and start everything on Precon. Our county agent suggested feeding the Nutrena at 2% of body weight instead of 3% like we do on steers. Does that sound about right to y'all?

BigNSoTX

I don't have them yet. I'm just trying to make sure we're prepared when I get them home.

vc

Market Heifers or breeding? Heifers will get fat earlier than steers, need to feed slower than steers for market to make them hit 12 o'clock when you need them to.

BigNSoTX

Market Heifers or breeding? Heifers will get fat earlier than steers, need to feed slower than steers for market to make them hit 12 o'clock when you need them to.
Breeding heifers. Definitely don't want them getting too fat to breed when it's time but want them looking their best in the show ring.

Wild Bug Ranch

Breeding heifers. Definitely don't want them getting too fat to breed when it's time but want them looking their best in the show ring.
I feed Fitters edge and recently just switched to Rival Beast since my breeding heifer is slower growing. check your feed bag and see how much % of body weight it is to feed heifers. Typically it’s 2-3% of their body weight so i’m feeding 30lbs a day for my one heifer who is 400-600lbs currently. Make sure they have access 24/7 to hay. let them eat as much as they would like

vc

I feed Fitters edge and recently just switched to Rival Beast since my breeding heifer is slower growing. check your feed bag and see how much % of body weight it is to feed heifers. Typically it’s 2-3% of their body weight so i’m feeding 30lbs a day for my one heifer who is 400-600lbs currently. Make sure they have access 24/7 to hay. let them eat as much as they would like
3 percent of 600 is 18 pounds, I would be careful feeding that much to her you might just burn her up.

Wild Bug Ranch

3 percent of 600 is 18 pounds, I would be careful feeding that much to her you might just burn her up.
i’m sorry she does get 15#s a day. idk where i went wrong in my math 🤦🏼‍♀️😂 she gets 7.5lbs morning and night. my steer is getting 30lbs haha sorry got it backwards