Show Heifer Help

Help Support Steer Planet:

cattlegal

Looking for some ideas for our breeding heifer.  When we take her to a show she will not lay down, too busy looking around.  She usually walks fine for showmanship, but by the time class comes around she is walking all stiff and roaching in her back. She's sound but just doesn't move well after standing for 5 hours, any ideas?

Bradenh

Give her melatonin pills (20mg) the night before you take her down there and the morning she gets there and she should chill out faster

Tallcool1

Tie as far from the action as you can.  Even stall in the trailer when you can.  If she doesn't have anything to be looking at, she will lay down.

cattlegal

Thanks for the ideas, we do try to keep her away from the action but sometimes it is hard to.  Any suggestions on what I could give her to help with stiffness?

dimebag

Try taking her to different places , such as friends show barns and tying her for extended periods of time . She will learn to relax away from home .

simba

All of the above is good advice. I'd also add that if you have another heifer/steer that she's used to that you could stall with her that might help make her feel more relaxed.

obie105

Get her use to the noise. Radio in the barn, kids playing, just comotion even at home. She will settle down. It just takes time.

Ftfarms

If you have a quiet barn at home put a radio in the barn and have it on all the time. The barn and home should be almost the same for them otherwise they will be stressed out. I hope this helps I had the same issue with one of my steers but after putting the radio out it helped out a lot. :)