show heifers chewing up halters???

Help Support Steer Planet:

DSC

I have two show heifers in the barn and they keep chewing up the rope halters. Is there anything I can do or anything I can put on the halter to get them to stop chewing? Or am i missing something in the feed that makes them want to chew? I had the same problem this summer with a heifer and a steer in the cooler. Any advise would help im going through a ton of halters. Thanks!!

travisrex

DSC said:
I have two show heifers in the barn and they keep chewing up the rope halters. Is there anything I can do or anything I can put on the halter to get them to stop chewing? Or am i missing something in the feed that makes them want to chew? I had the same problem this summer with a heifer and a steer in the cooler. Any advise would help im going through a ton of halters. Thanks!!

My first guess is that your cattle are "bored", do you feed them hay throughout the day?

DSC

yeah we have put hay in front of them at one time I actually even went and bought mineral blocks to put in front of them so if they wanted to chew and lick on something they could lick on that instead of their halter.

DSC

Soap thats a good idea shouldve thought of that. I will try that in the morning. Thanks.