Show side branding

Help Support Steer Planet:

Boot Jack Bulls

What is everyone's opinions on branding on a beef animal's show side shoulder or hip. Tacky, okay or don't care? I've seen some well-known herds in our area do it and I have to wonder if its just playing politics in the show ring. I understand why some choose to brand, we do it as well, but is putting it on the show side of a herd that is intended for the show ring a bit too much???

Doc

It won't matter which side you brand because hopefully the judge is looking at both sides. If they are going to play politics , they are going to do it regardless.

obie105

If its a registered brand I think they have to give ideas but the brand inspectors make the final decision on what the brand is and where the placement is. I had a friend just go thru it and it took him several months to get an approved brand.

justintime

In some areas, branding is important. I expect state laws regarding branding are similar to here, in Canada, in that you have to register a brand and you are told what location your brand will be on. If you are fortunate and no one else has your brand in a specific location, it is usually approved. There are certain letters and symbols that are not allowed in a brand because they can be hard to read, or easy to change.

We used to brand every animal on the farm, when our herd was much larger, but we have quit now that it is smaller. If I felt we were having any problems with cattle turning up missing, I would brand everything again. Approximately 20 years ago, we did lose a couple heifers out of a pasture. We searched inside and outside the pasture but could not find them. A few days later, we received a phone call from a brand inspector at a market 250 miles from here. He wanted to know if we had sold some heifers to a certain person, as they were at the auction mart to be sold that day. In that case, the system worked and we were able to get our heifers back.

Many reputation herds also brand to promote their cattle ( eg: the hairpin brand at Leachman Cattle Co) . This brand became known throughout the industry. There are many others, especially in earred cattle. I can see how some would think of a brand as being unethical in the  show ring, but I don't see it as such. I expect after one or two classes ( or even less) most any judge will know who owns animals from the big outfits.

leanbeef

If the reasoning behind which side the brand is on is based strictly on in being shown in show ring photos, then I would call that good marketing, not unethical. If an animal is branded anywhere, then a judge is going to see it regardless of where it is. Having it on the animal's right side just allows it to be more prominent while that animal is being shown and allows it to show in photos taken in the winner's circle. Why would you want that hidden on the other side? It's just promotion, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

firesweepranch

We decided to put ours on the non-show side, front shoulder for that reason. We did not decide to brand for advertising reasons (we are not big enough, and never will be unless we get more land), we did it for theft reasons. There have been multiple cattle thefts in our area, and two places hit were within miles and happened to be show cattle that were baited to a trailer, owned by 4-H or FFA kids. The cattle were never recovered, and that hit pretty hard on the families. We decided on front left shoulder because that would be the side least looked at in the show ring. When we registered for our brand, we were able to select design and location. It was a family decision, and we went round and round, as a family, about the brand design.
I am not against branding on show side, I just think it detracts from the actual animal because it draws the eye away. Just my opinion!!! Take it for what it's worth  ;D

twistedhshowstock

I dont think it really matters that much as far as politics go.  If a judge and a breeder or owner are going to play politics then the judge is going to know who the calf is regardless if its branded or not.  I personally dont like branding cattle before they show, my preference is to wait until the show career is over and then brand them.  My reasoning is the same as many, the brand just draws your attention and can take away from the cattle.  I understand that some of the American breeds require cattle to be branded for registration purposes.  Honestly on cattle I tend to see brands on the left or non show side more. I think its because the way most chutes are set up, most people work cattle from that side, so its more convenient to have brands on that side.

nathan572

Our county fair used to brand cattle years ago and many people would want the brand on the cheek bone.

sackshowcattle

I put mine on the left ribs. That gave me a place that was easy to hide with a hot brand on white cattle. Shoulder is clipped to close and behind the sides could look different from the missing hair.  If I was only freeze branding and wanting to advertise it would be right shoulder hair clipped short and the brand would look good. otherwise if you might have to hot brand or want it hid some put it on the ribs were you can hide it in hair. Quick thought how is a freeze brand going to prevent theft. some dye or touch up paint would probably be enough to hide it till its to late wouldnt it.

Boot Jack Bulls

Thanks for all the replies! We brand ours on the off side shoulder (animal's left). For us, it started as a theft deterrent on our horses. At one time we had a brood mare band of over 50, several ranch geldings and we stood between 3 and 6 studs at any given time. That was a lot of animals to keep track of in pastures over a couple of counties so it was a prevention, and if necessary, a recovery aid. When we switched to cattle about 15 years ago, it just sort of carried over as a habit of sorts and became more of a marketing tool for us.

This was just a thought that ran through my head when I was reading another post on branding and I was curious what the general consensus would be. It was also interesting to here how much certain states or countries regulate the placement of the brand. In WI, when you apply for a reg. brand, they let you pick the location it will appear on the livestock.  Again, thanks for all the replies!