Showing registered vs nonregisterable cattle?

Help Support Steer Planet:

BroncoFan

I'm hoping to get your thoughts/opinions. Thanks!
Which do you prefer?

sizzler14

Where I come from, it is much easier and you get more of a fair shot showing unregistered animals. When showing registered animals, it seems 5 out of 10 people will register a Jan calf as an April. not every breed requires DNA, so it really isn't that hard to show a crossbred as a registered calf. there are just show many ways to cheat when showing registered cattle. Where we show, unregistered calves either show by hip height or weight. At least birthdate doesn't matter there. Plus the cost of registration is ridiculous to me. JMO. I also like showing heifers more than steers. I'm an outlier i guess.

Danielle1018

It really just depends. Politics and cheating exists in all shows and is unfortunately unavoidable. Registered shows are nice for those who prefer to show a specific breed of cattle. They go to a show to exhibit that breed and that breed only. Another big plus of registered shows is that bulls are allowed to show. Whereas at a youth/nonregistered shows they are not. Also at the youth shows you have to sit through all breeds (including commercial) even though that may not be what your there to see. Both registered and nonregistered shows have advantages and disadvantages.

Danielle1018

Sizzler14 said:
Where I come from, it is much easier and you get more of a fair shot showing unregistered animals. When showing registered animals, it seems 5 out of 10 people will register a Jan calf as an April. not every breed requires DNA, so it really isn't that hard to show a crossbred as a registered calf. there are just show many ways to cheat when showing registered cattle. Where we show, unregistered calves either show by hip height or weight. At least birthdate doesn't matter there. Plus the cost of registration is ridiculous to me. JMO. I also like showing heifers more than steers. I'm an outlier i guess.

I get what your saying about DNA testing. And true that not all shows require it. However there are commercial steer classes where I show. There have been reports of people registering september calves as december. The heifer classes require registration papers,which have a birthdate on them. The steer shows however don't. Since this is the case there is no way to prove a calf's age. Except checking teeth to make sure it is under one year of age.

BroncoFan

Thanks for your opinions!  We have a few registered low % maine cows and are just thinking of a direction to go with them.  Do we breed to fullblood maines or not worry about it at all.

sizzler14

Danielle1018 said:
Sizzler14 said:

I get what your saying about DNA testing. And true that not all shows require it. However there are commercial steer classes where I show. There have been reports of people registering september calves as december. The heifer classes require registration papers,which have a birthdate on them. The steer shows however don't. Since this is the case there is no way to prove a calf's age. Except checking teeth to make sure it is under one year of age.
Thats not quite was I was meaning about the shows doing a DNA Test. I was meaning if you have a solid red Monopoly heifer, as long as you do not put it as a Frozen Embryo, you can register her as a purebred shorhorn and get away with it. or an i80 x angus thats polled and solid black, it isnt that hard to put it as a simmental or Angus and get away with it and have a stouter hairer version to compete against honest purebreds.

OH Breeder

BroncoFan said:
I'm hoping to get your thoughts/opinions. Thanks!
Which do you prefer?

We register for birthdate not show date.
I have mainetainers and shorthorns primarily. I think registering calves at some shows gives a calf little advantage to get to the final drive against crossbreds. If the judge truely evaluates them on breed and current condition.

I find it funny when i see guys talking about Ai cows in Feb March April and they have those same birthdates on their calves. I didn't know gestation on cows was 365 days.  ;D