Showring tricks

Help Support Steer Planet:

Judge

Was wondering what are some of the tricks people have seen in the showring to bury the good ones.

Tallcool1

I am not sure what you are asking,

How do I get my kid to beat a better calf?  Is that what you mean.

Or are you asking this from a judges perspective?

Judge

I guess how to out show a better calf can fall under this question as well but I was more wondering what people have seen other people do, if you will dirty pool to win the class besides bribe the judge

Bradenh

At San antonio the kids worried about getting their ass buried just take clippers and shear all the tail heads of every other calf in their class

Then wonder who did it when only one heifer has a tailhead in the ring

Best thing you can do to get around the Good ones is to get a better calf and not pow wow the best way to screw someone

cowman 52

Back in the old days if you wanted to see a lesson or two on the ins and outs,  Joe Lewis and D T Carter could and would give some new or not so new "smart a** know it all"( their description, not mine) a real workout in the ring.  The fore said victim usually left the ring looking like he had been in some back alley brawl, and a ribbon of some shade of light blue. Joe in that subtle laugh would say,  "he's about 1/2 as smart now as he was" D T was in that time ( early to mid 60's) could do more to make one better than about any one,  and in those days it was done quietly and cheaply. 

OH Breeder

I guess with as many kids that read this forum, I would rather see the post move towards what can a good showman do with an average calf to out show someone. With all the negativity that gets thrown at show cattle industry, I think its always better to try to present it in a better light. Most of what people "hear about dirty pool'" is what some out side the industry think it is. There are lots of folks who put in the blood sweat and tears that make a good one's without bending the stick.

I have seen some stellar kids make an above average calf shine in the line up and in the ring and bury calves that just didn't have the right hand on the other end. Hate to say this, but I think many females show better than the fella's. I know that's my opinion. Not saying a guy can't get it done. but seen some tough ladies that just out showed people.

Tallcool1

I think that there are a few things that can be done...that are in the spirit of the rules.

1  Get them hairy.  Work you tail off in the barn, and just plain out work everyone. 

2  Get your calf trained.  We all know what the weaknesses are in our cattle.  We know that they look better if they are set up        a certain way.  We know that we really would rather the judge didn't get to see "______________".  We also know what the strong points are with our cattle.  Be sure that the judge gets to see way more of that than the bad things.  If you have one that tracks to perfection, then when the judge is camped out looking at the cattle on the profile...circle your calf and walk him right at the judge so that he has no choice but to see how good he tracks.  Get that calf to the point he shows himself.  The feet go exactly where you want them without ever having to stick him.

3  Stay out of the corners of the ring.  Do NOT get boxed in.  If it looks like you are going to end up stopped in a corner, then round off that corner and get your calf out of there.  The judge can't analyze your calf if he can't see him.  Stop way short of the calf in front of you, so if someone tries to box you in, you can pull forward and out of cover.

4  Go look at the cattle that you are showing against.  Watch them go to tie outs.  See how they move.  If you are showing against a good one that doesn't move very good, then walk your calf slow in front of him.  If he is in front of you, pause for 10 seconds and let him get a big lead on you...then hit the gas and catch up with him in a big hurry.  Find the one that you have to beat, and force him to show his weaknesses. 

idalee

Great suggestions TallCool1.  I wish someone had told me those things 50 years ago!  Thanks!

DSCSD

When it comes to out showing the good ones.... You gotta have it in your heart to do it first. I don't care how good the good ones are, most of the time the kid showing it doesn't have a clue anyway cause mommy or daddy did all the work and it shows in the ring. You can work that hair all you want feed them as hard as you can and yea maybe will your class. But the real talent comes out in showmanship, better yet a show that gets crammed into 1 day and you have 1 judge judging the class and 2 more judges judging for showmanship at the same time. That's what seperates the amature weekend warriors from the people who care enough to put time into their Cattle. Here was dirty trick. Twin sisters (very cute I might add) 1 on each side of me whispering "things" during the senior Champion showmanship drive.... I grabbed 1 between her legs with my stick and tapped the other ones steer on the side of his face with my stick when I slid it back up my hand. Did I beat the good ones? Yea but I had for the past 4 years cause you gotta want it to get it. And everything Tallcool1 said.... I thought that was all common sense 101.  (clapping) way to shed light on some people (clapping)

vc

I know for awhile a lot of them would pull their calf out of the line and when they were coming back in they would be outside of the line and covering the calf that was behind or in front of their position depending on the calf they were trying to cover up, as well as get their calf to stand out. Started getting out of hand when the person they were trying to cover up moved their calf out to reposition and did the same to them, pretty soon their both in the middle of the ring 15 to 20 foot out of the line.

Best thing I saw was when the judge went and told them both to get back in line and quit the antics.

Tallcool1

DSCSD said:
When it comes to out showing the good ones.... You gotta have it in your heart to do it first. I don't care how good the good ones are, most of the time the kid showing it doesn't have a clue anyway cause mommy or daddy did all the work and it shows in the ring. You can work that hair all you want feed them as hard as you can and yea maybe will your class. But the real talent comes out in showmanship, better yet a show that gets crammed into 1 day and you have 1 judge judging the class and 2 more judges judging for showmanship at the same time. That's what seperates the amature weekend warriors from the people who care enough to put time into their Cattle. Here was dirty trick. Twin sisters (very cute I might add) 1 on each side of me whispering "things" during the senior Champion showmanship drive.... I grabbed 1 between her legs with my stick and tapped the other ones steer on the side of his face with my stick when I slid it back up my hand. Did I beat the good ones? Yea but I had for the past 4 years cause you gotta want it to get it. And everything Tallcool1 said.... I thought that was all common sense 101.  (clapping) way to shed light on some people (clapping)

I agree with the basic idea of what you are posting here, but I don't necessarily agree with the "real talent coming out in showmanship".

To me, there is a big difference between how to stick one in showmanship and how to stick one during the show. 

Showmanship is about calmness, speed in getting one set up, answering questions, etc.. 

Showing one is about concealing weaknesses and accentuating strengths.  In class, it may be in your best interest to NEVER get your calf set up correctly.  It may be in your best interest to just keep the calf moving. 

There are a lot of things that you can do to help you win the show......that will get you sent to the bottom of the class in showmanship. 

Showmanship is an evaluation of the exhibitor in and of herself or himself, with no regard for the quality of the animal.  Just set him square no matter how bad it makes him fall off behind his shoulder. 

Showing is an evaluation of the animal in and of itself, with no regard for the methods used by the exhibitor.  The exhibitor can and should do things to make that animal look its best without worrying about how many times they circle, where they need to set the feet, etc..

Just my opinion.

Funny story about the twins!