sick calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

Hoosiers#1

We've had a steer for two weeks now that we had bought, today he has a  snotty nose and doesn't want to eat all his feed.  Can anyone suggest what kind of medicine to give him?  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Why do the steers get sick and not the heifers?   

SFASUshowman

It sounds like a classic case of shipping sickness to me...and trust me the heifers will get it to. 
When we move animals, whether it be from 10 feet from one stall to the next, or 1000 miles to a new home in a new state, the move causes some level of stress in the animal.  Seasoned show animals who are used to going up and down the road a lot dont stress as much, but a younger calf that hasnt been hauled much gets stressed out more by the move.  We especially see this in animals that are young and being transported to a new home or location for the very first time.
Stress weakens the immune system making the animal more suseptable to pathogens like fungus, bacteria, and viruses! The most common of these pathogens,and the ones most likely to strike during these short perios of stress induced immune defficiencies are those involved with resperitory infections.  Thus you are seeing the runny nose, basically the same as a common cold, and your new guy is just plain feeling yucky and doesnt want to eat. Pretty much like any child who has a bad cold.
There are several antibiotics out there that target bacteria in the respiratory tract but I ussually use something common like LA 200 etc. I would also recomend adding an electrolyte like Bounce Back to his water...we use it all the time in our horses, bucking stock, show calves, cow herd, hogs, goats, dogs its great for helping them get back on track more quickly after they have been stressed by things like heat and illness!

DISCLAIMER I am not a vet(though I have spent several years working as a Vet Tech), I am not licensed to diagnose illnesses in animals nor prescribe treatments. I am simply hearing the symptoms and giving my opinion on the most common illness with said symptoms and onset.  So please dont take what I said for fact on your animal...I have after all never seen the animal in question. ::)

GSG

RESFLOR GOLD.  Bottom line.....it works!  It's that new antibiotic that has Nuflor & Banamine in it.

Bulldaddy

I would use Micotil if it were my calf.  One shot (under the skin) should do it.  Be sure not to accidentially inject yourself as this antibiotic can be fatal to humans.

SFASUshowman

The RESFLOR is really good...I had completely forgot about that...micotil is good also...but they can be pretty expensive if you dont already have some on hand....and most cattlemen I know have some LA 200 somewhere.

kobo_ranch

GSG said:
RESFLOR GOLD.  Bottom line.....it works!  It's that new antibiotic that has Nuflor & Banamine in it.

I agree, last year we battled a sick steer for months.  Didn't use this stuff.  This year we had another steer start with the same symptoms (had a low grade fever).  Gave him this as suggested and it certainly worked pretty fast.  Good luck and don't wait too long.  Might check his temp... if just started and you don't want to spend the money Baytril might get it, but if in question go ahead and to the GOLD.  GOOD LUCK

comercialfarmer

If you have a relationship with a large animal vet, they will sale the appropriate medication by the needed volume and you don't have to buy an entire bottle.  If you don't have one, you should get one.  There are a lot of helpful people on here and that is great, but sometimes you may get what you pay for.  I would venture to say that you have a little dinero tied up in your calf and a quick call may be worth your while- you probably won't hear IBR vaccine otherwise (not used just for prevention).  

The thing you have to remember that makes cattle different from us, our colds are generally limited to the upper airway.  The respiratory viral and bacterial diseases that affect cattle generally are affecting the lower airway (lungs) and therefor pneumonia is present.  This is much more life threatening.  

No antibiotic is a silver bullet, this is why cultures are performed in people regularly.  Certain bacterial strains will respond to specific antibiotics.  In cattle, cost is prohibitive and we just inject and hope.  But the guess should be an EDUCATED one.  We have a huge issue in America with antibiotic resistance in people.  Willy nilly antibiotic usage in animals is being blamed for a portion of it and maybe to some degree correctly so.  We have a duty to ourselves to use these tools discriminately.  

Biggest thing in my mind for treatment of shipping fever other than appropriate antibiotic use, limit stress.  And as stated, banamine is like Tylenol for us- can make them feel better.  

vc

Take its temp, then call the vet and tell them your situation, our local large animal vet will usually tell me what I need and have it ready at their office when I go by.
The longer you wait the longer it will be fore the animal is back on it's feet.

The first thing we tell all the kids in our 4-H Club: before you get your animal get a livestock thermometer. The second thing is: look up what the animals normal temp is and right it down and put it some where, so you can find it when you need it. The third thing we tell them is: chances are you are going to need to be able to take their temp at some time. The first thing the vet always ask is the animal running a fever, so it is best to have that information prior to calling.
I know that with hogs and sheep, if you can take their temp with out a fight, the are usually ill.

Bradenh

do the above. and you can also start adding aueromycin to his feed. and it is an antibiotic that is just kind of a "do good" feed that improves his overall health and well being