Sick Cow Help

Help Support Steer Planet:

jsuhr

Last night while doing chores I noticed one of my cows was laying really strange and in an awkward position so I went over to try and help her, but she wouldn't get up because of where she was laying. So we got the skid steer and harnessed her so we could move her so she could get up and after about 30 minutes she did, but was very weak and timid. Usually she is high strung and when I go by her calf she is there to protect it. This morning I went out and her eyes were sunk into her head and she seems very weak when moving. We gave her a shot of Banamine just to try and make her feel better. I can't really think of whats going on. She had a calf and cleaned on the 10th and has been on the same hay as all the other cows. What do you guys think!? Thanks for the help.

ejoe326

This sounds like a vet call ASAP.

Did she have access to rapidly growing green grass or just the hay?  What kind of hay?

How long ago did she calve?

Have you temped her?

CAB

Sounds like grass Tetnus or milk fever. treatment is similar for both, but needs to be done asap. Have the vet out asap. The longer it goes on the less your chances of saving her.

GoWyo

Sounds like dehydrated.  Temp would be good to know.  Is she still alive?

jsuhr

She hasn't had grass and only grassy alfalfa hay. Her temp was 100.4, so there we were ok. We gave her a tube of CMPK and KETO Gel. And she isn't producing any milk obviously since she is sick, yet the calf is just going away at her. I thought she was dehydrated and need an IV but she has had access to all the water she wants. I was thinking possibly milk fever.

jsuhr

The Vet Just left and he gave her a bottle of calcium, a magnet because he thinks this could be due partial to some hardware, and a few rumen stimulating boluses. She had a temp of a little below 101. Hopefully she starts feeling like she should.

GoWyo

We had a cow with an impaction with similar symptoms.  Is she passing normal manure?  Ours had hard dry turds.  Lasted two weeks.  Couple gallons of mineral oil over several treatments.  Never would loosen up.

ejoe326

How is your cow this morning?

Did she try to get up after she had the IV?

Did the vet draw any blood if she didn't try to get up right after the IV?

jsuhr

She got right up after the IV but wouldn't and didn't drink any water. She did not make it through the night so now I have a nice heifer calf with no mother. :(

ejoe326

I'm sorry to hear that.

Are you going to post her?

I've seen cows when they get the magnets die really quickly because it pulls the metal through. 

If it's any consolation the good strong bottle calves are bringing a fortune at the local sale barn.  As in 400.00 for an 8 day old bull calf that was happily jumping and kicking around the ring.

BTDT

I am going to try and put this as non-judgementally as I can, but when you have a sick animal the last place you need to "look" is the internet. This was obviously a very sick animal as described by jsuhr; couldn't get up, no milk, dramatic change of behavior, not eating or drinking. If you have a vet, call them. If you have a neighbor, consult them. Find immediate help that has access to the situation first hand, not via observations by someone who may not see all the symptoms.
From what you described, the cow had "milk fever", which is why she immediately responded to the IV of CA, but since she didn't get it immediately, the imbalance created a situation she could not recover from.

Do not beat yourself up over it, as we all make mistakes, but let this be a lesson learned by everyone.

ejoe326

I disagree.  It does not mean she automatically died from milk fever.  When they respond that quickly they are not usually, usually being the key word, going to die or need a second dose.  The fact she wouldn't eat or drink afterwards is interesting. I would have wanted blood pulled to find out her levels no matter what. 

With the quality and quantity of large animal vets out there these days it is often times hard for people to find one that will show up they trust.  We are extremely fortunate as our vets are outstanding.

Unless you open her up and try to find out what happened you cannot say why she died which is not superior to someone asking for help.

BTDT

I wasn't trying to be harsh, but if an animal is in your care, and it is very sick, it will need medical attention (IV, xray) and probably a Rx drug, so the wasted time consulting the internet is just wasted time that the animal is not getting proper care.
I am not saying no one should ask for advice or for assistance on a chat board. I have found some very useful information, and at the very least, some stuff to research further. But you also have to be aware of when it is time to consult someone close by and not "joe blow' on the internet.
We have all waited too long, consulted the wrong people, made wrong judgement calls, and followed advice that was not good, so I am not pointing the finger, rather, I am saying please consult a near by expert (neighbor, vet, producer) when dealing with a really sick animal. That is your best bet for animal recovery.

jsuhr

Luckily we have a great Vet who came out quickly after I had called him. Unfortunately I don't think it would have mattered when I called for she took a drastic turn for the worse overnight. Another lesson learned, unfortunately the hard way (Because of course it happens to one of the better cows) but thats just part of the industry we all sometimes have to deal with.

cowman 52

I always love someone who decides that you need to do this, do that.  You are not ithe mans shoes, money could be tight, the vet may want xxx dollars for a call after 5, heck he might not make calls at all.
These days not everyone has the resource to do what they want to do, they have to do what they can do.  Keep the self righesous to yourself.

BTDT

I am the first to admit, I am not in his/her shoes. I am also the first to admit I have made the mistake of waiting too long and costing the life of an animal.  All I suggested was that people with sick animals call a professional close by rather than take the advice over the internet given by uknown people at unknown passage of time. 
I am not being self rightous at all. But, I will admit I have strong feelings that if you chose to take care of animals, then you need to have the "resources" to take care of them. Owning and caring for livestock is a privilage not a right.  If you do not have the resources, you shouldn't have livestock.
Jsuhr made a mistake by waiting too long, hoping for a cheap answer. One we have all made, myself included. It sounds like he has access to a great vet, which is good.  But, it is one I no longer make, as I have learned that lesson.

Jsuhr, I feel bad for your loss. You are not alone in losing an animal with many unanswered questions. Good luck in the future.

cowman 52

Next time someone has to chose between groceries, electricity, gas for the truck, or a block of mineral, I'm sure you will be first in line to offer a hand?..