Silent Knight

Help Support Steer Planet:

DakotaCow

I have been more and more interested in this calf. At first I just wrote him off as another th free bull but I love the flex and softness this bull has, I did not have the chance to see him in Denver but would like to know what others thought. What would you change about him and what do you like? Yes I know there is a video of him from Denver but it really doesn't show much. Thanks.

wyatt

if im not mistaken he toes out in the front but i like the bull for his other characteristics

lj113

We bred some to Preditor seen quite a few this summer and fall. Silent knight follows suit...Way to much set in his back leg. Every one we had, had too much set. Sure the bull is massive and huge barreled and yak haired for being clean but his back legs are not for me at all.

kfacres

lj113 said:
We bred some to Preditor seen quite a few this summer and fall. Silent knight follows suit...Way to much set in his back leg. Every one we had, had too much set. Sure the bull is massive and huge barreled and yak haired for being clean but his back legs are not for me at all.

is that a bad thing in a cow prospect? Wait, I forgot something but better not post it due to maybe making someone upset- and unable to handle a few harsh words.

twistedhshowstock

kfacres said:
lj113 said:

is that a bad thing in a cow prospect? Wait, I forgot something but better not post it due to maybe making someone upset- and unable to handle a few harsh words.

I understand what your saying Jody, I am in the show cattle industry and even I agree that a lot of the show cattle lack the set that we need in a cow for them to have longevity in the pasture.  Before anyone says it, yes I know that many show bred, clubby cows last a long time in the herd, but lets face it, since they are producing show calves even the old cows get a lot more TLC than most commercial herds. If those cows had the exact same conditions as commercial cows many of them woldnt alst as long.  But on the same note, I think we can get one with to much set  even for the commercial industry as well.  In all animals there is an ideal that makes them most useful and have more longevity.  There is a most ideal set to all the joints in a cow, straying  to far either way can cause issues down the road, just like one that is to straight will eventually brak down do to the stress on their joints, one with to much set will also do the same, having to much set just puts more stress on different joints than being to straight does.
That being said, I dont believe that Silent Knight had to much set, and I dont think he toes out to much either, in both of these areas he is not what many would consider to be ideal, but I dont think its major issue for him.  For me though, I just thought he was kind of plain.  I like having another clean option out there, and he is definately soft made, long strided, super big middled, and yak haired, but just didnt have a ton of style for me or a lot of power. I think if you had a super powerful, sper stylish cow that was tight middled, then he could be a good option, but for me that kind of cow doesnt tend to stay in the herd often.  For me a cow doesnt have to be super pwerfl, I would rather add power to a cow from the bull, then to add volume to a cow from the bull.  So I dont see myself using him a lot, but definately thnk there are cows he would work on.

OH Breeder

kfacres said:
lj113 said:

NO JODY... its your broken record of continual bitch complaining and general NEGATIVE RESPONSE TO EVERYTHING. Can you NOT hijack other peoples thread start your own crusade on how poor legged, structured, quartered, haired, temperament, calving, feeding show cattle are.

Remember its not WHAT you say its HOW YOU SAY IT CONSTANTLY. Same old stuff. :mad: 

Attachments

• brokenrecord2.jpg
    brokenrecord2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 119

kfacres

twistedhshowstock said:
kfacres said:
lj113 said:

I understand what your saying Jody, I am in the show cattle industry and even I agree that a lot of the show cattle lack the set that we need in a cow for them to have longevity in the pasture.  Before anyone says it, yes I know that many show bred, clubby cows last a long time in the herd, but lets face it, since they are producing show calves even the old cows get a lot more TLC than most commercial herds. If those cows had the exact same conditions as commercial cows many of them woldnt alst as long.  But on the same note, I think we can get one with to much set  even for the commercial industry as well.  In all animals there is an ideal that makes them most useful and have more longevity.  There is a most ideal set to all the joints in a cow, straying  to far either way can cause issues down the road, just like one that is to straight will eventually brak down do to the stress on their joints, one with to much set will also do the same, having to much set just puts more stress on different joints than being to straight does.
That being said, I dont believe that Silent Knight had to much set, and I dont think he toes out to much either, in both of these areas he is not what many would consider to be ideal, but I dont think its major issue for him.  For me though, I just thought he was kind of plain.  I like having another clean option out there, and he is definately soft made, long strided, super big middled, and yak haired, but just didnt have a ton of style for me or a lot of power. I think if you had a super powerful, sper stylish cow that was tight middled, then he could be a good option, but for me that kind of cow doesnt tend to stay in the herd often.  For me a cow doesnt have to be super pwerfl, I would rather add power to a cow from the bull, then to add volume to a cow from the bull.  So I dont see myself using him a lot, but definately thnk there are cows he would work on.

I've never seen this bull in person- but do you seriously think that something bred to be a show steer generator- will breed on too much set.  Is too much set not a good thing to put on one with too much lack of flex?  The whole club calf game is mitching and matching for one on one matings.

lj113

I've never seen this bull in person- but do you seriously think that something bred to be a show steer generator- will breed on too much set.  Is too much set not a good thing to put on one with too much lack of flex?  The whole club calf game is mitching and matching for one on one matings.

I've seen the bull in person. The orig. post asked for opinions on the bull. I gave mine and I wouldn't think everyone would have the same. Like I said we bred to his daddy an all the calves were sellable market weight. No show calves though, looked through a lot of pastures this summer and fall and didn't see one that suited MY needs or one i liked. Thats my opinion.

kfacres

lj113 said:

I've seen the bull in person. The orig. post asked for opinions on the bull. I gave mine and I wouldn't think everyone would have the same. Like I said we bred to his daddy an all the calves were sellable market weight. No show calves though, looked through a lot of pastures this summer and fall and didn't see one that suited MY needs or one i liked. Thats my opinion.

I was engaging on convo with twisted... 

yukon pete

Saw him in Denver and my first reaction was the same opinion I had each time we went by and studied him.  I love his structure, softness, stoutness and foot size.  Sure, maybe he is a tick common fronted, however, with the different pedigree and his soundness, we have some cows we'd like to try him on.

cpubarn

He has been at Nichols bull stud in Ankeny, may still be there if you are nearby.

Predator was there as well, also a predator son from Braun/Wies that I liked a little better...

There are always lots of good bulls there to look at when I visit, do you need a road trip?

Mark