Simmental bull for heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

knighthawk

I have a Dream On heifer and was wondering what bull i should breed her to. Would like to go back simmental.
Thanks

simmyman67

If she has enough body, Grandmaster. I know Rendition will work on heifers if they are big enough.

Simmgal

I have a DO Daughter that just had a Trademark calf. Came very light and unassisted. Hasn't grown HUGE yet, but she is only a few weeks old. Grandmaster is one I would use too. Simmyman: have you had problems with depth on Grandmaster offspring?

Another bull that is calving ease is Ranch Hand, but he can be hit and miss with growth and look. Shear Force is a good one.

leanbeef

Take a look at PRS Blazin' Hot. Pretty neat homozygous black and homozygous polled baldy bull. The first calves have come small and they WILL grow. I'll hopefully have pics of a couple of the first ones I can share some time soon. He's worth giving a look.

I also like the "Olie" bull awful well. I don't think you have to give up a lot of performance in order to find a bull that'll work on heifers. Olie will add length and muscle, and they're pretty cattle.

Also have a nice set of calves out of KNH Added Value. His performance numbers dropped in December, but our calves have performed very well. I expect his EPDs will bounce back a little eventually. And he is a calving ease bull that went down on BW with the first calves.

Just a note...Shear Force is a half brother to Dream On. In fact, everything I've mentioned goes back to Legacy, but Blazin' Hot and Added Value would be a little farther removed from Dream On than Shear Force or Olie.

ALTSIMMY 79

Given that your heifer is a Dream On which are typically deeper softer made cattle but usually a little short in the milk and muscle department i would go Grandmaster. He is gonna add some lenght of body , some muscle and milk ! Your stayability is also going to be very good with this cross. You have plenty of choices out there and maybe id suggest something different if there was more info but with what we were given , Grandmaster !

firesweepranch

We just had a Grandmaster out of a 3 year old Pacesetter, and the calf is awesome! She came at 74 pounds, and was up and sucking in 30 minutes! She looks good right now, so we are real happy with the offspring. We will take photos later, but she is a real cutie!

Simmgal

leanbeef said:
Take a look at PRS Blazin' Hot. Pretty neat homozygous black and homozygous polled baldy bull. The first calves have come small and they WILL grow. I'll hopefully have pics of a couple of the first ones I can share some time soon. He's worth giving a look.

Also have a nice set of calves out of KNH Added Value. His performance numbers dropped in December, but our calves have performed very well. I expect his EPDs will bounce back a little eventually. And he is a calving ease bull that went down on BW with the first calves.

Do you have any picture of your Added Value or Blazin Hot calves? How are their fronts?

leanbeef

Simmgal said:
leanbeef said:

Do you have any picture of your Added Value or Blazin Hot calves? How are their fronts?

Depends some on the cow, but the Blazin' Hot calves I really like the most are real deep, soggy and sound...loose made and they do have some front end to them. It doesn't bother me. They're good doing calves that will grow, and I think they'll grow into their fronts, but I wouldn't call em "showy" calves. They're definitely not "clubby" at all. And their mothers are not that type at all either. I have two more heifers out of different type cows that are slicker fronted. We probably will show the better heifer.

Also have two fall-born Added Values, one bull and one heifer, and the heifer is really nice...real pretty fronted...sweet looking and feminine. Out of a 2-year-old Mo Better x Lucky Dice x Destiny cow...and she's a baldy. I don't have pics of them yet, but hope to be able to get some in the next week or two. The Blazin Hot heifer is in the barn getting halter broke now. The Added Value heifer should be...she's just at another place and I haven't around to getting her up yet. They're all still on the cows right now.