Simmental bull High Roller...

Help Support Steer Planet:

Telos

Was wondering if anyone is familiar with High Roller. He is owned by Lautner and Yocham and semen is distributed through Genetic Horizons/SEK Genetics.

Telos

With the keen eyes of Lautner and Yocham and knowing their track record, I was wandering if they're on to something that might be an industry changer? This bull looks to be a maternal powerhouse especially when used primarily on Angus type cows.

xxcc

my personal opinion is that the thing they are 'on to' is that pure cattle sire more consistent calves than mongrel bulls.  the 'one great one' is getting harder and harder to breed if you are using bulls that have no consistency at all.

That and I think the people that were 'on to' it first were people like Ohlde.  How many mongrel strains did he have?  how many pure strains did he have?

TMJ Show Cattle

Evidently you either don't know Tim Ohlde very well or your too young to remember when he raised club calves too. Besides the angus he had some simms and the amerifax cattle,alonf with some Chianina's. Hell,. he made Ildeno famous for a spell. Ask dean Kephart about his "mongrels" as he ended up with most of them.Yes he has developed a lot of good Angus cattle that work in many situations.But to suggest he didn't have any mongrels with those crazy assed Chi's will definitely get a big laugh out of Tim.

ground sow

TMJ, i believe what xxcc is saying is tim realized the inconsistency of "the mongrels" before lautner.

Telos

High Roller is a purebred Simmental bull. Even though he is mostly black he is not considered a mongrel or even a crossbreed.

I was just wondering if Lautner and Youcham thought he had value in producing replacements out of Angus type cows. Similar to the way Meyer Ranch 734 was used. I like his picture and he looks to have some outcross potential as well.

<beer>

kfacres

well then maybe you should ask lautner.. I'm sure they will tell you that bull has loads of potential for both purebred and Angus cows alike.  and that's why though bought him to promote. 

Personally, I didn't care for the bull's picture, and thought his purchase was a desperate measure to jump into the Sim and SimAngus world of evergrowing popularity!

BadgerFan

too much white for me, but for some I'm sure he's a good fit.  An Angus cow can do a lot!

I just can think of about a hundred bulls I'd use first.

kfacres

To me, he just looks 'plain'---  for lack of a better word.  He looks short, round, and rotund..  I think he looks overly fat as well!  IMO, many other, better options exist!

NOW- with this said--  I appreciate how sound, and powerful he looks, from the side...  And that is only 1 dementional pose!

I'm also not saying he can't be use, or shouldn't-- i think all bull have their place, and if used right, can, and likely will work

Cattledog

I think this bull could work on the right angus cow.  I think that you would need to breed him to a cow that has some softness about them that needs to be powered up.  With the amount of big volumed flatter muscled females out there this bull could see some action!  Don't really know a bunch about the simmi breed but I do like alot of the sim-angus that I see being made. 

Telos

He is kind of an eye catcher for me.I like his pic and think his genetics will have some merit since he is a little different on paper. Really like his set of  leg and think it will help to loosen-up some cattle which are too straight.

That bull was slick sheered right before picture time. Phil thinks he is a very good bull and could be a lot better then Meyer 734. I guess only time will tell.

kfacres

I was thinking he looked pretty bald.. but figured it to a result of an be an OK summer
I prob could'a guessed that the semen supplier would be saying he's better than the hottest Sim bull of all time!! go figure!! (argue)

creativecattle

I am glad you posted this. I had heard about this bull last year when they purchased him. He has a little more white on him than I like.

Chris Bingham

I will scan a picture of his dam tonight and post on here.

He would have been sheared prior to that picture being taken. I added a picture taken from his other side on here.

Attachments

• OSU-High-Roller-8608_edited.gif
    OSU-High-Roller-8608_edited.gif
    40.9 KB · Views: 327

AStar

It's funny how most people dog a summer pic of a bull. It's not a hairy calf pic and some people just can't see past it.

WFCC

kfacres said:
To me, he just looks 'plain'---  for lack of a better word.  He looks short, round, and rotund..  I think he looks overly fat as well!  IMO, many other, better options exist!

NOW- with this said--  I appreciate how sound, and powerful he looks, from the side...  And that is only 1 dementional pose!

I'm also not saying he can't be use, or shouldn't-- i think all bull have their place, and if used right, can, and likely will work

AGREED! looks fat and is plain. 

stangs13

AStar said:
It's funny how most people dog a summer pic of a bull. It's not a hairy calf pic and some people just can't see past it.

Im with you on this one...I see a nice bull, that is not fat..