Simmental bull to add power...

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sparty-On

I am fairly familiar with most of the popular simmental bulls used for the show ring.  I am looking for 1 or 2 bulls to consider using this year on a 3/4 blood cow that will add power.  I am mainly looking to stouten up this cow.  Don't need too necessarily add body depth, just don't want to give any up.  Suggestions very appreciated.

gary89

Grandmaster will certainly do that. Probably others as well but he comes to mind very quickly.

Ausley Family Farms

Climax. I may be starting to sound like a broken record, but I am gonna praise this bull till the very end. He is doing wonders for us. Here is a heifer out of him and a registered Infocus Angus cow.

Attachments

• Climax Heifer.JPG
    Climax Heifer.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 382

firesweepranch

Now, see, I was thinking Macho. Every macho female we have is extreme in muscle. Adds great milk and udder also! Just have to watch that they keep enough guts in them.

WKYIronMike

I would think about Star Power in that situation. Alot of people aren't fans of him but he never disappointed me. Invasion might not be bad neither.

LLBUX

Just passing it along-

I found a powerful new PB Sim bull last night.  He's black w/ blaze face.

He is thick, deep and clean fronted.  Great bone too!

His name is Transition.  He is owned by Tim Rahe, Andy Jones and Boitnott and is distributed by Cattle Visions and maybe a couple others.

Semen available soon I'm told.  He's not yet a year.

JWW

Macho seems to work with what you are wanting to do, The reason some people don't like Star Power is due to his birthweight and calving ease EPDs,

We have had great luck with MoTown in recent years too, seems to take our moderate easy fleshing simmi cows and gives them a little ump to the next level. may not be the overall power you are lookign for but a stellar bull for us.

JWW

husker1

I sent the original poster a PM first with my thought, but decided I might as well post for all to see.

Our new bull with Genex; BCLR Ammo, had a really powerful, stout first calf crop at our place and at Bichlers.  We purchased Ammo to be an outcross growth sire, and he has met our expectations.  We will normally have 1 calf a year top 800 pounds weaning, with no creep...this year, we had 3 and all were Ammo's.  Unfortunately I was a few weeks late reporting spring calf data to ASA and missed the cutoff (which I thought was December 1st...it was November 1st) for new EPD calculations.  Ammo took a hit on his epds, as his calves only had average performance in the commercial carcass testing herd were he was sampled by ASA.  But he outperformed all other bulls at our place and Bichlers.  I've been told by ASA that his growth numbers will go back up after the next calculations. 

Anyway, from first hand experience, he will add both growth and power.  He will increase frame some too, so remember that.  Ammo is a 6.4 frame bull, so expect a little bigger calf when bred to the low 6 frame cows.  But they will grow and perform.  Though his numbers disagree, I would not recommend him as a calving ease sire; the calves do come 3 to 5 pounds heavier, on the average, at birth...but grow by everything else as well. 

Give him a look at: 

http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1SM00119&lang=EN

His sons and daughters were both very well received at our sale.  Drop me a PM if you have questions.  He  is a good, outcross growth option.

CAB

JWW said:
Macho seems to work with what you are wanting to do, The reason some people don't like Star Power is due to his birthweight and calving ease EPDs,

We have had great luck with MoTown in recent years too, seems to take our moderate easy fleshing simmi cows and gives them a little ump to the next level. may not be the overall power you are lookign for but a stellar bull for us.

JWW
Macho is a featured sire on ABS's specials right now, but they end 3/30/2012. $30.00 normally.

WRS

Upgrade will power one up as well as any that I've seen recently.  The bonus with him is that he passes on very good skeletal structure..not the case with all "power bulls".

Simmgal

Okay, just going to agree with some on here. This is all personal opinion from what I have seen or heard about these bulls.

Grandmaster- Adds muscle and power to most any cow. I have used him on very 2D animals as well as those that have muscle and power. He definately does not take away from what I can tell, and has even added. All the calves that I have seen and owned have impressed me. If you are looking for shear pounds, he isn't the largest growing bull out there, but from an EPD standpoint I can really admire his MM, CE and BW. I have a daughter in production that has a great udder for a first calf heifer. She has maintained her body condition with a calf on grass alone. Just about all my heifers got bred to Grandmaster this year. Check out his rear shot! http://selectsiresbeef.com/index.php?option=com_php&Itemid=114&id=101&breed=Simmental

Upgrade- I have a heifer out of him that has impressed me from the day I bought her. She is in on my avatar and puts that picture to shame easy today. I admire her soundness on the move as well as muscle structure. If you are looking for pounds, he is one I would use. It was stated that he keeps structure sound, and I agree totally with that statement. The only fault I have for him is his MM EPD. He can add leather, but what pound bull doesn't?

Olie- Now deceased. Works good on heifers as an alternative to Grandmaster. He adds some muscle structure, but the one I had last year wasn't a bodybuilder. I was hoping he would give my flat, fatty cow some shape, but not much was achieved there. I have personally had more luck with width and muscle from Grandmaster. Olie works good in many scenarios, but in that particular one he didn't. This won't stop me from using him, but he won't be bred to that particular cow again. The calf was also crazy and had to be sold before she killed someone. She tried.

Climax- Is not a bad bull by any means, but he works BEST on Angus cows from what I have seen, but then again what Simmental doesn't?

Cut Above (Fat Butt)- Had a calf out of a heifer that is very impressive. At less than a month old, the calf is aready exhibiting muscle shape far superior to her herdmates. It's a heifer calf, and is outperforming some of the bulls in her group. It is still young to tell, but I have been impressed with this calf, as well as many I have seen especially since she came light and unassisted from a first calf heifer. Some of his progeny have been winning shows.

Hoosier- Haven't heard too much about him, just was impressed with his rear shot in the ABS catalog. He has been around a few years and I feel like I should have heard something about him, especially since added pounds is  beginning to be a must in my area. Not saying he is a bad bull, just haven't hear a lot. If anyone has info, I would love to hear it.

Macho-Agree mainly with what has been said already. Adds power and udder structure, but watch the depth. And the CE if you are using on heifers.

Star Power- Many of the calves I have seen in my area have been taller rather than stout. I also was not pleased with some of the rear wheels. Popped pasterns = a popped tire to me. He seemed kinda hit and miss, but he was used on a few cows, and I have not seen as many offspring as I have from the others.

NLC Superior- Had a friend A.I. a few to him, and they weaned off HUGE. If you want pounds, I would use him similar to Upgrade. I don't anticipate them to be as showy or clean as Upgrades, but the few I have seen have been scalebusters. I have noticed that the bull calves perform better than the heifers.

Mo Better- From the limited few I have seen, he makes them soggy, stout and leathery. I would use him to add depth and I haven't seen any where he has taken away width.

My experience is limited, but some I would take a look at are Grandmaster, Upgrade, Sweet Meat (Added POUNDS and soggy look) and Cut Above. Lucky Man works good for performance, but I will have to see for myself when I A.I. a few to him this next year.

Good Luck with whichever way you choose! :)

texas111

3C Picasso.  Old but good.  Worked for many in the past but seems to be forgotten about.  IMO good bull reasonably priced.

Simmgal

Sparty-On said:
Anyone know if there is any Grandmaster sexed heifer semen out there? 
I haven't seen it, but I would think Select Sires would be the main one to ask. Someone else most likely knows more about his sexed semen status than I do.

Do you have a picture of the cow you are wanting to breed?

CAB

Anyone getting calves out of the Harwood 209 bull? A couple of years ago there was some hype about his daughters.

Joe & Kris Knowles have a 3/4 sib to SOS named Sandeen's Salute that I have been impressed with as far as both sexes.