Simmental Cross?

Help Support Steer Planet:

leanbeef

The first calf I saw out of Cut Above was at the NAILE year before last...she's actually still the ONLY Cut Above I've ever actually seen. She was good. I didn't hear great reviews on those calves last summer, and that's what kinda kept me from using him. But I haven't actually seen any since that first heifer calf...

Climax has a Docility EPD of 4.9 which puts him in the 95th percentile for disposition. That means less than 5% of his calves would be expected to get a docility score of "1" or "docile". Doesn't mean they'll all be crazy, but not expected to be gentle. Doc EPDs are low accuracy, but they're not total guesses. If you're concerned about dispositions, he wouldn't be a front runner.

Gargan

A fatt butt hfr brought $10k in the NWSS simmental sale in janurary. Her picture looked awesome, and she couldnt of been to shabby to bring 10k.

coal_creek

In my opinion, 3C Macho is the only way to go. My neighbor has an unregistered set of commercial angus cows and breds them for January and Feburary calves. I have been selling the heifers off of this group of cows for him for several years. His set this year averaged $2400 in Sepetember, and they are an outstanding set. One of those heifers was just the Reserve % Simmental heifer at the Missouri AGR. Plus we have a handful of Macho cows in our herd and they are some of the top producing cows we have.

firesweepranch

coal_creek said:
In my opinion, 3C Macho is the only way to go. My neighbor has an unregistered set of commercial angus cows and breds them for January and Feburary calves. I have been selling the heifers off of this group of cows for him for several years. His set this year averaged $2400 in Sepetember, and they are an outstanding set. One of those heifers was just the Reserve % Simmental heifer at the Missouri AGR. Plus we have a handful of Macho cows in our herd and they are some of the top producing cows we have.

I have to agree here, for great females. The cow in my Avatar is a Macho half blood, just had her second calf in October, is set up for a third calf in September next year (bull calf by Make It Rain), and has a picture perfect udder. She is raising a heck of a calf right now; A mid October calf already hitting the scale at 550 plus pounds, and she looks great! All on just hay. She also won the South Central Regional percentage show in 2009, so proof that one can show and go home and do the work. We are selling her first calf, a heifer, bred to Upgrade (carrying a heifer calf) in our state association sale next month. I am sure she will be just as great as her mom!! Sorry to see that one go, but you can not keep them all  ;D

rf21970

We are in the middle of our third calving season of our PB Angus based attempt at building a club calf herd. 1st year we bred 6 PB Angus cows to Macho. Outstanding results with 4 out of 6 having some form of white marking on the face. 4 of the steers were shown in our area steer show of 170 hd where we had 2 1sts, 2nd and third. The next year we bred the same six cows back to Macho and 6 more to Maximus. We have 2 of the Maximus steers and 2 Macho's  on feed this year. The Machos are considerably thicker. We have 2 Maximus heifers and 1 Macho that are all 3 pretty nice out of last years calves.

This year we mixed it up a little more. So far we have had 3 Carpe Diems born to PB Angus heifers that all calved unassisted and came all black except for a bit of white on the navel area. 1 Backlash that is not impressive at all, and 2 My Turns that are stout and hairy-also all black. We hopefully have at least 1 backlash and my turn to go in the next couple days.The rebreeds were bred to Fatt Butt. Hopefully we will have a couple of those in a few weeks.

With that said, this spring I think we will be going back to Macho for the Angus cows.

leanbeef

This is an October 2011 Rendition heifer out of a pretty decent registered Angus cow. I had two heifers and two bulls...both the bulls are blaze faced. All four of the calves have some look to them and they've grown and done quite well. My biggest issue with Rendition for our program is the fact that he isn't homozygous black or homozygous polled. You won't get any reds or horns out of purebred black Angus cows, but the calves have a 50/50 chance of carrying either a red gene or a horn gene, and they could get both :-(

Otherwise, I like the calves a lot.

Attachments

• Y54 by Rendition.jpg
    Y54 by Rendition.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 167

vcsf

leanbeef said:
This is an October 2011 Rendition heifer out of a pretty decent registered Angus cow. I had two heifers and two bulls...both the bulls are blaze faced. All four of the calves have some look to them and they've grown and done quite well. My biggest issue with Rendition for our program is the fact that he isn't homozygous black or homozygous polled. You won't get any reds or horns out of purebred black Angus cows, but the calves have a 50/50 chance of carrying either a red gene or a horn gene, and they could get both :-(

Leanbeef I am just curious if you had or heard of horned calves out of Rendition or where he was advertised as heterozygous polled.  I am asking because in Canada he is being advertised as homozygous polled but it would hardly be the first mistake I have seen in a semen catalog.  Just wondering what the truth is.

Gargan

rf21970 said:
The rebreeds were bred to Fatt Butt. Hopefully we will have a couple of those in a few weeks.

let me know what u think of those fatt butts when they come. thanks

leanbeef

vcsf said:
leanbeef said:

Leanbeef I am just curious if you had or heard of horned calves out of Rendition or where he was advertised as heterozygous polled.   I am asking because in Canada he is being advertised as homozygous polled but it would hardly be the first mistake I have seen in a semen catalog.  Just wondering what the truth is.

You know...I thought I had heard he was homozygous polled before I used the bull. Then somebody on here posted that he was heterozygous, so I called Lance Ellsworth. Lance said he had been reported to be heterozygous, but I haven't actually talked to anybody who told me anything more. Now I'm wondering if somebody's had some scurs they called horns...

To answer your question...no...I've had five calves...all polled. Four out of Angus cows though, so that's not really proof of anything.

J/M Ranch

You might want to think about FLE Unprecedented. He is young PB Simmental herd sire at Finesse Livestock Enterprises in Iowa. His first calf crop at FLE has shown that he can produce sound functional cattle with a flashy look. He also transmits a clean and extended front end to his calves along with yak hair.  FLE recently flushed thier Angus donor to him and the calves are hitting the ground right now. I am very impressed with these half blood SimAngus calves so far. I really think that he will make exceptional PB Simmentals, percentages, or work to make clubby mamas or Simmental steers.

I'll try to get some pics of him and the calves. Let me know if you have any other questions.

leanbeef

vcsf said:
leanbeef said:

Leanbeef I am just curious if you had or heard of horned calves out of Rendition or where he was advertised as heterozygous polled.   I am asking because in Canada he is being advertised as homozygous polled but it would hardly be the first mistake I have seen in a semen catalog.  Just wondering what the truth is.

Hey...So I finally broke down and called Adam Owen at Owen Bros. to ask about Rendition's polled status. He said he IS heterozygous. He was talking about not having any scurs out of the bull, so I made sure to clarify...I was wondering if somebody had scurs they were calling horns. But Adam said they had him DNA tested. So apparently he's not a scur gene carrier...

I was a little disappointed. I like my calves, but I used him on some Angus cows hoping to make some baldies, knowing he was heterozygous black and his numbers weren't gonna help much either. I thought he was at least homozygous polled. I don't remember if I saw that advertised or if I just assumed that. I'm not usually quick to assume something I don't read or hear, so I dunno. He was real nice and we had a good chat. He did mention he would like to know if the bull was being advertised as homozygous polled somewhere. If you see that in print on online, I'm sure they would appreciate you passing it along so they can get the information corrected.

http://owenbroscattleco.com/

coachmac

leanbeef - I know how much time and effort we spend on choosing bulls and, with a limited number of cows, we try to breed up as much as possible starting with the first calf.  Hoping one day soon , raising one will save a couple dollars over purschasing with the hope of marketing in the future.  That being said, we have a Fat Butt heifer out or a 1/2 blood Simangus heifer that my son showed this past summer.  She is out of a Dream On son that a friend of ours owns.  We too were looking to upgrade quickly with this breeding and we like the heifer calf that is on the ground right now.  I cannot seem to get pictures to post that well on here, but, if you would like, I can text some to you.  PM me a number if that is something you are interested in.  We have the same cow bred back to Rendition and are pretty excited about that mating as well.  Never-th-less, my son loves his new heifer and is excited about this coming show season.  She is amazingly sweet and he leads her pretty much everywhere including stick work.  She is a Sept. and that is not that big a deal, but a busy basketball season (still going) has meant working heifers has been a rarity.  :-\  Good luck in your search and, like I said, let me know if you would like a pic or three!