Simmental x Angus Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Warrior10

Got few angus cows I want to breed to Simmental bull trying to get heifer prospects for our online sale, but I am needing some suggestions. They cows need hair and a little more mass, so what is a Simmy bull (besides meyer 734) that you would recommend?

OH Breeder

Muddy Creek Show Cattle said:
Got few angus cows I want to breed to Simmental bull trying to get heifer prospects for our online sale, but I am needing some suggestions. They cows need hair and a little more mass, so what is a Simmy bull (besides meyer 734) that you would recommend?

I am a big fan of 3C Macho. He makes nice udders and they milk. You will not get a bunch of hair but you will get some rib shape and femininity. I have been anxious to try Trendsetter.

Dyer Show cattle

If your going to sell the heifers I think your best bet would be a Meyer son, I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Anything Meyer in the backround people seem to love to pay for them. I started my herd with 6 cows out of a meyer son and I think I have kept every heifer out of them over the past 7 years. You just cant go wrong with them. If your wanting to get away from meyer my current herd bull is a black baldie out of TNT Ever ready, who is out of HC Hummer. The calves I am getting out of my bull are just as good and some better than calves out of AI bulls. And it seems almost all the TNT ever ready calves I have seen I like alot. Plus no meyer and no Dream on in them. So you can come back with a Meyer or dream on son with them and I think they will be some of the best calves around. I do have some Fat Butt in my tank and I have not used it yet. I did see him at stud last year and I think he is one of the best mature bulls I have ever seen. But I have never seen a calf out of him in person.

Vetter Cattle

GrandMaster is a very good bull that will add some mass and keep the heifers VERY maternal and attractive but sires good steers and he has great numbers

Warrior10

Thanks for all the suggestions so are, I tend to lean towards the Meyer bloodlines as I think having that bloodline is a big deal. Whenever I see Meyer it gets my attention in a hurry. I have also consider Macho and Fatt Butt and I will continue to look into them along with search the Meyer sons. Grandmaster is pretty unknown to me but I will give him a look.

firesweepranch

Macho is a Meyer son, and all of the females I have out of him have perfect udders with nice small teats. My only fault with him is he seems to suck the gut right out of a cow. Almost every purebred macho heifer I have seen needs more guts; is this anyone else's observation? I love the muscle he packs on a female, and they are very maternal. The cow in my avitar is a half blood Macho (x angus cow). Another thought would be Movin Forward. I have seen a bunch of good females out of him this year (several were half angus), and look forward to seeing them as mature cows. He is triple c invasion son and has some good EPD's....
Mo Magic is a half blood Simm, by Mo Better. ANother good bull that makes great half bloods. We are breeding our angus cow to Analyze This or Make It Rain, not sure which yet...
An of course, I think some of my favorite females are from Built Right, but I am not sure he would give enough power on an Angus. I have not seen many Built right x Angus heifers out there...

WKYIronMike

I've came up with six Simmentals I'm debating about using on my Angus cows the next time around.
Dikeman's Double Down
MR NLC Upgrade
LMF Movin Forward
TNT Tanker
JS Analyze This
HHF Pay Day 

GLB

Built right had worked very well on our meyer x trav 6807daughter. Also would possibly suggest steel force, or a meyer son would be a good substitute for meyer.

Woody

I am currently using Mamas Boy on all of my half bloods.  He will add depth style and hair.  Make sure that the cow you use him on has some thickness.  My biggest complaint about him is that i only used 5 straws this year instead of 15.

countyagent

macho
built right
steel force
chopper
star power

no particular order but, i think theyd all do well for ya

kfacres

Why has nobody said anything about Dream On... clearly the poster wanted to stay away from Meyer--- and 90% of the suggestions have been Meyer, sons, or grandsons...

DO fixed the breed, and built the breed...

If you woant something cool, that will actually work, go Rendition. 

countyagent

Youre exactly right, he made a HUGE improvement on the Simmental breed.  Largely in part to how much body and soundness he was able to pass on to his calves.  (Something simmis needed).  That's why I'm personally not a big fan of crossing him with angus...angus cattle already have plenty of body and are plenty sound.  I think Dream On would still be a good option, just not one I'd recommend.  I like your recommendation of Rendition.

kfacres

countyagent said:
Youre exactly right, he made a HUGE improvement on the Simmental breed.  Largely in part to how much body and soundness he was able to pass on to his calves.  (Something simmis needed).  That's why I'm personally not a big fan of crossing him with angus...angus cattle already have plenty of body and are plenty sound.  I think Dream On would still be a good option, just not one I'd recommend.  I like your recommendation of Rendition.

sorry for bringing this back up... but the way people talk... rendition was made to use on Angus cows...

Shadow Hill Farm

I'm not a simmy person but I have seen cattle out of Dream On and his son Steel Force and really liked them. If I was going to go Simmy on our Angus I would go with either of them.

TYD

Not trying to hijack a thread but I have the same question but I'm also looking for a bull to add frame to my deep bodied cow