Simmy Junior Purebred Champ

Help Support Steer Planet:

iheartcattle

ok I just heard it was Jake Bloomberg from Illinios....with a heifer called KLS Diamond. Anyone know anything about that heifer? Like who shes out of or what she looks like>/

forcheyhawk

She's an In Dew Time that sold for $54,000 in Jeff Paulson's Girls Gone Wild sale.  She was raised by the Spooner family of Wisconsin.  She looked great - sound, soft made.  I saw she was being pumped with some pink fluid before the show.  Was that electrolytes?

infoelite

She wasn't being pumped.  I went to look at her in the chute and they were drenching her which is not illegal, there were several people doing that.

firesweepranch

infoelite said:
She wasn't being pumped.  I went to look at her in the chute and they were drenching her which is not illegal, there were several people doing that.
So what's the difference?  Artificial filling. ..... don't care for it no matter  what you call it. Just my opinion.

The Show

Pumping is when you shove a water hose down their throat and turn it on until they fill up. Drenching is done by putting a drench gun in their mouth and pumping the liquid into their mouth and the animal swallows it. Usually people drench with electrolytes and such. This gives them a boost of energy to help them get over the trip, feel good, and most importantly it promotes eating. There is a night and day difference between pumping and drenching.

diesel

if u dont no the diff then u need to get out of the cattle buisness

firesweepranch

My point is not that I do not know the difference,  but there is NO difference. You are forcing fluids in an animal to make them appear what they are not. A little or a lot, if they did not drink it on their own it is artificial.  Period. I was there, the cattle had been there at least 4 days and were settled.
And you may think I need to get out of he cattle business,  but I think we know what we are doing with having the 3rd place cow calf pair there. And we did not force anything down our animals throats.
Like I said, just my opinion. I choose to raise my kids honestly and do their best with what they have. Nothing artificial.there: -)

The Show

Did you not read my post? I'm sure everybody on here that knows the difference will agree with me. When you drench your not forcing the animal to take it. They swallow it own their own. Your just putting it in their mouth for them.

firesweepranch

Every drenching I have seen the animal can not spit out what you put in, because you go beyond to the tongue to the back of the throat. They have to swallow. Thus forcing fluids, whether it is electrolytes or wormer or whatever. Albeit it is usually a small volume.
I did not watch what they, or anyone else did, to their heifer so I am not speaking about that. I am speaking about drenching in general.

The Show

firesweepranch said:
Every drenching I have seen the animal can not spit out what you put in, because you go beyond to the tongue to the back of the throat. They have to swallow. Thus forcing fluids, whether it is electrolytes or wormer or whatever. Albeit it is usually a small volume.
I did not watch what they, or anyone else did, to their heifer so I am not speaking about that. I am speaking about drenching in general.
It does go behind the tongue, but if they don't want to swallow it they will spit it up everywhere. Unfortunately I know that from experience. Obviously I'm not gonna stop and your not gonna start. That's just our opinions.

In an effort to get back on subject she looks really nice. Is there an online catalog of the sale anywhere? I tried to find one to see her sale pic, but I couldn't. 

forcheyhawk

diesel said:
if u dont no the diff then u need to get out of the cattle buisness

Really?  You think both are pretty important aspects of the cattle business?  Help me out here when would I ever need to pump something full of water? 

showin10

you can pump them because of dehydration. and lets not call it pumping but water therapy

husker1

We are pretty much removed from the show scene, so I will comment....

The heifer looks really nice, but anytime you are drenching, pumping, filling...the animal with something that they are not ingesting on their own accord...it kind of puts an asterisk behind it....in my opinion. 

How would've the heifer done without the "supplement"???>>> perhaps still been the champion. 

Totally disagree with some of your comments on this subject.

Also, in my opinion...Showing cattle is not "the" cattle business; it is simply an offshoot of the cattle business that is meant to be a fun competition.

chambero

forcheyhawk said:
She's an In Dew Time that sold for $54,000 in Jeff Paulson's Girls Gone Wild sale.  She was raised by the Spooner family of Wisconsin.  She looked great - sound, soft made.  I saw she was being pumped with some pink fluid before the show.  Was that electrolytes?

It was most likely a product called "Keep'n On".  That's the only pink liquid I'm aware of.  Giving your calves any of the wide variety of electolytes is no different than trying to get your kids to take medicine or vitamins.  They aren't going to take it unless you force them to.  It's also no different than drench tubing a newborn calf - just not a life threatening situation.  And for what its worth, plenty of feedlots don't hesitate to give newly arrived cattle similar products when they are just arriving.

forcheyhawk

husker1 said:
We are pretty much removed from the show scene, so I will comment....

The heifer looks really nice, but anytime you are drenching, pumping, filling...the animal with something that they are not ingesting on their own accord...it kind of puts an asterisk behind it....in my opinion. 

How would've the heifer done without the "supplement"???>>> perhaps still been the champion. 

Totally disagree with some of your comments on this subject.

Also, in my opinion...Showing cattle is not "the" cattle business; it is simply an offshoot of the cattle business that is meant to be a fun competition.

Very well said!  I totally agree.  I think drenching, pumping or whatever should be left to life or death situations.  For the record, the heifer would have won regardless.  She was very very good and I didn't see anything that could touch her - drenched or not.  I don't know the Bloomburg's but I would venture to say without knowing them that this was not their doing.
For the record, it may not be harmful or illegal, but I personally think it should be.  Personally, I think any showman should be disqualified unless they can provide proof to a vet that their animals needs to be pumped/drenched.  Then the vet should be the only person on the grounds authorized to complete the task.

Also not related to this topic, but folks weren't supposed to use butt fans.  It was even announced over the loud speaker on Wed.  However, we had some an aisle over from us that still used them and as near as I could tell they didn't quit when asked.  They weren't disqualified either.  I would have liked to use my butt fan because it was extremely hot in Iowa last Wed.  I played within the rules though.  I wish more people had morals and a conscious.