Sire choices for heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

Buck

I am developing a set of crossbred (clubby) heifers to retain in the herd. Of the following sires please rank them in order that you would use or recommendations are welcomed.

1. Doc
2. Grizz
3. OCC Homer
4. OCC Missing Link
5. BC Lookout

Freerider

So you're not breeding heifers, but trying to make heifers?  I think we need more info on the types of females these bulls will be used on will be used on.

Pictures and pedigrees can help identify weaknesses and help address them.

Buck

There are 10 heifers. 3 are WMW x Meyer734/ Angus. 5 are out of Hardcore x Meyer daughters or graddaughters. 2 are Amen x Heatseeker. I have written off producing any steers in this first mating but would like to be able to retain any good heifers for future cows. The 5 Hardcores have about as much Maine as I want in my cow herd. Thanks for the replies thus far.

Buck

Changed the subject to more accurately reflect what I am looking for.

Buck

Buck said:
Changed the subject to more accurately reflect what I am looking for. At least I thought I did. It should read, Help with breeding decisions. Thanks!

AAOK

Buck said:
There are 10 heifers. 3 are WMW x Meyer734/ Angus. 5 are out of Hardcore x Meyer daughters or graddaughters. 2 are Amen x Heatseeker. I have written off producing any steers in this first mating but would like to be able to retain any good heifers for future cows. The 5 Hardcores have about as much Maine as I want in my cow herd. Thanks for the replies thus far.

I would breed them all to FR Magic 179X.  A little more MA can't do anything but help!

firesweepranch

We have a Lookout x simm heifer that we really like. She is due to calf tomorrow, and has a beautiful udder formed and looks like a ground sow! She is very powerful yet cowey...

Limiman12

We are using sexed Power to Change semen on our heifers to get heifer calves.    he is Star powere out of a who cow.  Has a lot of good heifer calvess/cows coming on and talked to his owners and those that have used him really like the heifers they have and are buying more heifer seman this time around.

HGC

Lookout and Grizz are the only two bulls on your list that we have used.  Really like the Lookouts.  Grizz's were OK.

How much is sexed Power 2 Change semen?

dscott

Weve used missing link and those calves come easy and are very nice.  This year we have used titan and have had great success.  he is a rodman x future direction.

Limiman12

HGC said:
Lookout and Grizz are the only two bulls on your list that we have used.  Really like the Lookouts.  Grizz's were OK.

How much is sexed Power 2 Change semen?