Sire Selection

Help Support Steer Planet:

FarmerWanna-Be

We will be AIing for the first time in a while next summer and are looking to get some black and white or blue roan show calves. We have a herd of Maine Anjou cows with Angus and Chi influence.What are some good bulls that sire colored up calves and will work well on the more feminine style cows to make clubby calves? TH and PHA free would be preferred.

kfacres

Well, I've never used him.. but I hear SunSeeker will give you an assortment of colors.  I think Rainmaker can do the same.  I bet that new crazy colored thing of Lautner's can throw some freaks. 

About any whilte, or light roan colored shorthorn bull will give you a blue too.  Quite a few people will mention Sin City, but IMO he isn't 1/2 the breeding bull as his dirty brother Vegas.  TM Gus seems to be hot right now, I'd maybe try Wildside.. he's for real.  Rock N Roll Train is on my list to use this year though.. He's white, stout, and kool. 

mark tenenbaum

The Truth mentioned some good ones-Ive had real good luck with Free For All-Sull Sinister is also doing well on fairly stout cows-hes got the color.Some people from Colorado who are on SP-have a real good EZ calving white shorthorn-son of Sin City-but stouter he was champion at the Colorado State fair etc,and has thrown some blues O0

kfacres

the truth said:
Well, I've never used him.. but I hear SunSeeker will give you an assortment of colors.  I think Rainmaker can do the same.  I bet that new crazy colored thing of Lautner's can throw some freaks. 

About any whilte, or light roan colored shorthorn bull will give you a blue too.  Quite a few people will mention Sin City, but IMO he isn't 1/2 the breeding bull as his dirty brother Vegas.  TM Gus seems to be hot right now, I'd maybe try Wildside.. he's for real.  Rock N Roll Train is on my list to use this year though.. He's white, stout, and kool. 

upon reading this- it's cool not Kool...  I have used Kool, and not sure that I would reccomend him for anything- even if he want' double dirty. 

Doc

the truth said:
upon reading this- it's cool not Kool...  I have used Kool, and not sure that I would reccomend him for anything- even if he want' double dirty. 

It's funny you should say that. I've alwys said that if I had a bunch of black clubby cows that I wanted to raise some clubby blue roans out of & didn't care if the bulls were clean or dirty. I would use Kool & Sabre. I've had real good luck with both bulls.

kfacres

Doc said:
the truth said:
upon reading this- it's cool not Kool...  I have used Kool, and not sure that I would reccomend him for anything- even if he want' double dirty.  

It's funny you should say that. I've alwys said that if I had a bunch of black clubby cows that I wanted to raise some clubby blue roans out of & didn't care if the bulls were clean or dirty. I would use Kool & Sabre. I've had real good luck with both bulls.

From my experience, both with using him, and seeing his calves.. I have only seen a few that I have cared for- maybe it's just the cows he was mated to, maybe not.  We only kept 1 Kool, and I used up the last of my semen (been sitting idle in tank since 06) this last month on some average black cows that I really don't care about- if they have a blue calf, then it might go for a show steer, but likely it will just be black and go to market.  

Now I will say that we had good luck with getting clean, and double clean calves out of Kool- maybe that's why they weren't worth a crap???  Not sure.  The heifer we kept is double clean, and she's produced hit and miss so far.  Her first calf was good, sired by our old doulbe bred K-Kim herd bull, and this year her Dr Feelgood bull calf is average at best.  I couldn't part with her based that she's the last one that goes back to my original cow. 

justintime

Kool is the most consistent clubby Shorthorn bull I have ever used. I think every calf I had was a keeper or sold for some good dollars. I  used him long before I knew anything about TH or PHA, and I got very lucky as I only kept two daughters in my herd, and both tested clean for both defects. One of my Kool daughters is a Myrtle Bo, and I will be flushing her this spring. She has produced calves that have been consistently at the top end of the calf crop and she has a perfect udder, milks well, and is easy fleshing and trouble free.

One of the Kool heifers I sold, won several shows in Ontario for the young lady who purchased her, and she also won two Aluminum stock trailers for her.

kfacres

justintime said:
Kool is the most consistent clubby Shorthorn bull I have ever used. I think every calf I had was a keeper or sold for some good dollars. I  used him long before I knew anything about TH or PHA, and I got very lucky as I only kept two daughters in my herd, and both tested clean for both defects. One of my Kool daughters is a Myrtle Bo, and I will be flushing her this spring. She has produced calves that have been consistently at the top end of the calf crop and she has a perfect udder, milks well, and is easy fleshing and trouble free.

One of the Kool heifers I sold, won several shows in Ontario for the young lady who purchased her, and she also won two Aluminum stock trailers for her.

My first go around with Kool was boughten to use on heifers, and because I had used it.. a local guy gave me the rest of his semen supply on Kool for free cuz he failed at life on his cows.  I think it was about 20 straws..  I had good conception rates with it.

LCC#2

I used TM Gus on a black and white cow and got a red,white,and black heifer calf with crazy color

J

JTM

LCC#2 said:
I used TM Gus on a black and white cow and got a red,white,and black heifer calf with crazy color
Didn't know that was possible, red, white, and black?
Also, on Kool.Our first shorthorn heifer was one of the firs Kool heifers on the ground we bought from Nolan's. She ended up being a double carrier and unfortunately we flushed her to another PHA carrier and lost a cow before the test came out. I have another Kool daughter that has been a great producer and is my only TH carrier. Great udder, mother, fancy heifers and average bull calves.

kfacres

JTM said:
LCC#2 said:
Didn't know that was possible, red, white, and black?
Also, on Kool.Our first shorthorn heifer was one of the firs Kool heifers on the ground we bought from Nolan's. She ended up being a double carrier and unfortunately we flushed her to another PHA carrier and lost a cow before the test came out. I have another Kool daughter that has been a great producer and is my only TH carrier. Great udder, mother, fancy heifers and average bull calves.

It is possible, I see it all the time. It's a real problem in the Holstein breed mainly.  It's called Black/ Red.  From what I have seen, these cattle "change" colors.  Ours did anyways.  They were red and white in summer, and black and white in the winter.  I'm guessing the sun bleached them out.  Now, our herd is so crossed up- cattle are coming out in every color combo under the sun. 

If I remember right, there was someone on here, on a post a while back, that had a red/ white cow. with a half black face...  I think it was a shorthorn?  I think the post was titled crazy colored calves, or something...  Might search it. 

LCC#2

the red, black and white calf i mentioned has a red and white body with roan patches and a black stripe on the top of her head and some on her legs and a red and white motley face