SIRES AND BULLS

Help Support Steer Planet:

kobo_ranch

Still thinking of what to breed some big Maine/Angus cross cows to later on this year?  We want to AI most of them, then let out on a clean up bull (also suggestions!)  Also have heifers sired by Paddy Omalley from last year kept back several real nice ones and some with some white markings on them.

I would like to throw some COLOR or crazy markings . . . what would your sires be??  I love our black but it was a tough year and there are soooo many blacks out there hard to compete with since we're new breeders.  Of course want to improve our heard.  Any suggestions appreciated!!  <cowboy>

MYT Farms

Clean-up bull I have. He's black, but he'd throw some really fleshy calves outta those MaineX cattle.

JSchroeder

I really don’t know of a breed you can completely avoid competition in.  If your goal is to avoid the competition of the black exotics, Charolais would be a step in the wrong direction.

kobo_ranch

JSchroeder said:
I really don’t know of a breed you can completely avoid competition in.  If your goal is to avoid the competition of the black exotics, Charolais would be a step in the wrong direction.
[/I realize  everythings competitive these days just trying to think of something maybe not 'as' like solid black.  Would have bought ABC cows but just knew if the clubby thing didn't work blacks a good commercial route.  It's hard isn't it??
(trying to think of a sire besides a Charolais??). That won't throw black--

Dale

Wonder how Phildon JBS Fringe would work; colors could be very flashy.  A white Shorthorn bull would get you some great blue roans.  One of my commercial bull customers said he loved going to check his calving pasture, because he never knew what color his Shorthorn cross calves would be.

doublestuff

If you are wanting hairy calves for up north i'd try using double vision on the maine/angus cows. That should give you some color. For the heifers first go round I would definatly keep calving ease in mind. With that being said I think I'd try and find a super cool Hereford bull to put on those o'mallys. You'll be surprised at what you might get. If you are wanting slick shearing steers for down south I'd try milkman on those bigger Maine/angus cows or even alias on your sounder cows. And I actually think I might stick to the same game plan on the heifers. You are liable to get some great females out of the hereford  / omally cross.

Hofstatter Farms

I own half of a shorthorn bull that will give you that extra muscle shape and thickness that you are looking for in the showring and in the pasture. We have used him on some black cows and the calves are most impressive.  He is a Double Vision grandson that wont let you down. He is a light roan and he is throwing a lot of white in his calves. TF Shooter is his name, semen is available through cattle visions or you can contact me and i can get it to you.
-Tyler Hofstatter
[email protected]
(309)208-9353

beefy08

For the cows, Carnac, he will occasionally throw quite a bit of white on his cows, marked like holsteins and thick. For the heifers, jakes proud jazz

NSF

hired man, eyecandy and naughty pine have all had some pretty wild colored calves and they are reall good too. although you might have to go to a shorthorn of some sort because you might need something to offset the black gene because roughly half of those cows will be homo black if they are out of an angus base.

chambero

There are no easy breeds at Texas steer shows.  The black breeds aren't any tougher than the colored calves.  You have to target your breeding for the type of shows you have - if you are trying to do well at hair shows then you need to stay black.  If you are targeting slick shear, you are better off with colored cattle. 

You have to figure out works best on your cows.  Lots of people use Heat Wave bloodlines on Irish Whiskey genetics.  If your cows are smaller sized, you might try something from the Full Flush bloodlines or a Simi bull.

Another option is to breed for calves that will class Angus.  Don't know if you're cows are polled or not.  Who Made Who will throw the right kind of heads, as well Shamrock, or some actual "show" Angus bulls like Northern Improvement or some of the newer Angus bulls.

If you want a colored calf, Charolais is the way to go but don't think its gonna be any easier.  Mr. Schroeder is exactly correct.  I'd use a purebred Charolais bull and not one of the half-blood crosses on those kinds of cows.  Multiple ones to pick from.

If you are just starting out and don't really know what works on yours, pick a bull of each type and breed a handful to each.

OH Breeder

cattlejunky said:
Q-dog.  We have a steer and a heifer both nice.  He will throw some color also. 

How'd they come? Small or average size at birth. Are you happy with their mass? What did the mothers have in them. I have seen some q dogs but they didn't have a ton of mass I wondered if it wasn't the cow.

cattlejunky

OH Breeder said:
cattlejunky said:
Q-dog.  We have a steer and a heifer both nice.  He will throw some color also. 

How'd they come? Small or average size at birth. Are you happy with their mass? What did the mothers have in them. I have seen some q dogs but they didn't have a ton of mass I wondered if it wasn't the cow.

The came average size.  Not monsters.  Mother of the bull calf did not have alot of mass.  She is an Ali 3/4 maine. The heifer is out of a super thick cow not sure of her breeding.  she is a truck though.
The steer has  mass.  you have seen his pic.  We are very pleased with the two we have.  Both are sound and have great hair.

mark tenenbaum

kobo_ranch said:
Still thinking of what to breed some big Maine/Angus cross cows to later on this year?  We want to AI most of them, then let out on a clean up bull (also suggestions!)  Also have heifers sired by Paddy Omalley from last year kept back several real nice ones and some with some white markings on them.

I would like to throw some COLOR or crazy markings . . . what would your sires be??  I love our black but it was a tough year and there are soooo many blacks out there hard to compete with since we're new breeders.  Of course want to improve our heard.  Any suggestions appreciated!!   <cowboy> please go to the classifieds and see the new add LOOKING FOR A CLEANUP BULL-there are three really good ones pictured although I own Panama REd-you really need to see Doolings shorthorn-who goes back to Kings Olivia-=a great maine cow-who allways threw color when crossed with  shorthorns-and produced dmccdivolivia-a roan-who was bred to casper the white EASY CALVING oklahoma clubdeal, which produced cassie-the dam of the bull pictured-he will sire really cool calves on maines-and his sire (AVIATOR) goes back to the colored up KABA cattle-which also-add color to maines.