Slick Shear Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

idahoag

What sires do you feel work the best for slick shear shows?  Or does it matter....a good calf is a good calf?  ???

This was a topic on here about three years ago and I got some ideas from the old posts, but wanted to see if things have changed since then. 

Telos

BK Lifeline  was very popular especially out of Charolais based cows. Solid gold is another great choice. Yellow Jackets' which is another Lifeline son are working well. Habanero (sire of Lifeline) has his share of winners, too.

I think in most cases your mid-tone calves (greys, reds) work the best in slick show. Black hair is great for hair shows because black absorbs the light and with a high sheen of oil on it there is also light reflecting back at the eye simultaneously which creates somewhat of a magical quality and juxapositions the eye back and fourth like glitter on black material and can really help in just seeing the outer lines of the calf. Black hair is the best for hiding flaws such as coarseness. Slicks really need to be very smooth made and have good smooth/flat bone design. A solid white calf is difficult to show because the reflecting light shows off all the holes and imperfections the most and comes off being very brassy in a line up... JMO.

chambero

A "good calf is a good calf" works the majority of the time.

But in general you need a good shot of moderate Charolais somewhere + something from the Heatwave line somewhere to get the right shape and growth.  Calves don't necessarily have to be any bigger than they do for hair shows, but the little dinks do not work in slick shows whereas you can get away with one sometimes in a hair show.

dimebag

Troubadour and Yellow Jacket have worked for me . Had 2 Champions sired by Troubadour last year . YJ will add a ton of muscle and bone . Troubadour works best on heavy muscled cows . 

DCC show cattle

Milkman, walks alone, heatwave, solid gold, alias, I personally do NOT like yellow jacket or troubadour for steers but their females should be crazy good!