Slick Shear Show

Help Support Steer Planet:

WCBPA

I'm looking for information on Slick Shear Shows. Any information is welcome!
Where are they held? What rules are in place at Slick Shear Shows? How do you feel about them? Pros vs. Cons?

WCBPA

Also here is a link for a survey.  I'm using the information for an English paper. Participation would be greatly appreciated!

<a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DPZJPDJ">Click here to take survey</a>

qbcattle

Slick shows are held all over Texas.The Fort Worth and Kerrville shows are the only major shows that are not slick shows. San Antonio, Houston, Austin, and the San Angelo shows are all slick shows along with some county shows. Slick shows are popular down here because of the climate, but also due to the climate we have more brahman cross cattle, and since brahman cross cattle dont have the hair that exotics do so these slick shear shows were put in to make it more fair across the board and to take out the aspect of fitting out of the picture.

WCBPA

Our county show in northern Ohio is considering going to a slick shear show. Does anybody show at them? Do you like them?

kfacres

Our county fair had the same debate about 5 years ago...  most thought it would "level the playing field".- even went as far as having it a "wet" show one year!  Big joke- what these close minded, idiots don't realize is that the good steers will propagate towards the top whether their fitted, slicked, or wet.  It really won't matter...  The judges handle all the cattle that they can ie: wild ones, and a judges hand doesn't lie! 

Those kids who spend the money on producing, or purchasing a good calf, then take the time to properly care for that animal- wether nutritionally, hair wise, or just in general- will rise above the rest.  It's no lie that having a market animal project is about a year long ordeal, or at least it should be...  it never fails those who break the 1200 lb steers a month before fair time, and bring the slick haird, narrow topped, cat assed ones in the ring; are they who always moan and groan about how unfair, and political, and about the bs---- on how the shows operate... 

now then, I agree with the post above me concerning bos indicus cattle- in their natural environment-- they don't have the hair, and it levels it down for them... Quite a few ABC steers win majors slicked out!!!  There's also certain bloodlines of crappy haird cattle- ie. some herfs, some chars, etc... but the average cattlemen either doesn't know about them, or doesn't even raise clubby type, show steer oriented cattle... they just have plain jane commercials..  and like be-otching

But in anywhere besides TX, (we all know Texans are a bit off anyways) (lol)- hair isn't a problem if you work at it.  you just have to do just that- work... market projects are made to work, learn, and reap benefits from...  4H and FFA are some of the best learning opportunites in the country-- If, and IF you put the time and effort into it-- you will gain benefits

chambero

We didnt get slick rules here in TX because of anyone feeling sorry for American X cattle, it was because of Ag teachers and agents raising cane about the fitters and twine/etc back in the early 90s.  The twining at the majors did get a little ridiculous at the end.  Same families/fitters still do most of the winning.  It does favor colored cattle over blacks.  I dont remember an American calf ever winning Grand or Reserve at a TX major.  There sure hasnt been more than one or two if any. 

olsencattleco

I totally agree with you Chambero. When we first switched over from hair to slick i really did not like the idea of why they were doing  it to be honest. They said it would level the playing field whether it be the cattle themselves or the fitters vs. not so good fitters. To me the truly good cattle with hair are still good slick and the mediocre cattle with hair are even worse slick.

afhm

chambero said:
I dont remember an American calf ever winning Grand or Reserve at a TX major.  There sure hasnt been more than one or two if any. 
There was a Simbrah that was Reserve in San Antonio under Hoge and a few years earlier a brahman was Reserve in Houston in the late 90's.

CJC

afhm said:
chambero said:
I dont remember an American calf ever winning Grand or Reserve at a TX major.  There sure hasnt been more than one or two if any. 
There was a Simbrah that was Reserve in San Antonio under Hoge and a few years earlier a brahman was Reserve in Houston in the late 90's.
<nopics>

JSchroeder

The level playing field arguments are crap.

I like them because it removes the B.S. and gets right down to which steer is better.

WCBPA

I've heard the normal required length of the hair is 1/4''. Is that a standard length?

Also, do they use any hair products like Pink Oil or Final Bloom? Or is there just no need for them?

j3cattleco

I agree with Jeff the level playing field arguments are absurd.  It will actually widen the gap between those who have and those who don't.  When you have hair you give a kid with a work ethic and determination a chance to work his way into the winner circle and without hair that's not a possibility.  In my opinion, showing cattle is way more about the sweat and blood in the barn than it is about winning, and that is made unimportant by going to a slick show.  Just my opinion.

Joshua

BIGTEX

I think someone in an earlier post said, and I am paraphrasing " we sent a group from Iowa down to Houston to see the slick shear show of them all first hand. All of the kids were standing around all week with little to do."

If a judge can't see through all of that hair the he is not a very good judge.

Ag teachers in Texas are lazy!(a lot of them)A lot of them don't want to put the time in to learn or want to go down the path of least resistance.(ie. raise pigs, sheep or goats, which are easier to raise, especially if they don't know anything about animals and a lot of them are just plain LAZY!!!!!!)

They are making our county show slick in two years and it is totally absurd. There are only 2-3 steers that are worth are a darn anyway.JMO

JSchroeder

For the record, the only thing I think is more absurd than the idea that it levels the playing field is the idea that hair shows are about rewarding hard work in kids.  Unless you are of the opinion that ag teachers, parents, and fitters are supposed to keep their hands off the calves and actually let the kids do the work you want to reward them for, it has nothing to do with hard work by the kids.

That’s the B.S. that slick sheer shows remove and quite frankly I don’t see the difference between kids standing around doing nothing and kids holding the show stick while half a dozen grown men work on what is supposed to be their junior project.

afhm

I do think the quality as a whole has increased since the slick rule went into effect, but they had to since the judges have to try and pick the best one and not the best clip job.  I prefer the hair shows better.  I definately agree about the ag teachers being lazy, worthless may even be a better term for the majority of them since they are paycheck cashers and not teachers.  There are some that schedule local chapter events on top of the major shows just so they don't have to go, or when they do go you can find them with a adult beverage in hand at all times.  Great example many of them set isn't it.

BIGTEX

Jeff, I don't know how it was when you showed, but in every picture I have when I showed my knees are almost black. My mom did the tail and my dad directed. I did all of the washing, brushing, blow em dry and clipping of 4 animals almost every weekend.Very few people had paid fitters and I never wanted to see my Ag. teacher with a pair of clippers.

If the parents are helping, this would be more family time together?

Today if you look in The Show Circuit, a lot of the kids showing have the same dirty knees I did, either that or they are wearing some of my old jeans to look cool(even the kids that are winning the major steer shows). Looks like there are a lot more kids out there that work with their animals than have fitters.

How many people have fitters?

Can you put a percentage on it?
95% don't 5% do ?
50%-%50%?

JSchroeder

I'm talking about every prospect show I've been to over the past year.  By and large, it's not the kids doing the fitting, it's the parents and the jocks.  Regarding family time, what other event for kids even thinks about judging the kids based on what their parents did?  I'd say science projects but even those require a statement from the kid saying they did all the work.

I have no beef with haired shows, I just like the "honesty" of looking at slick sheer steers.  I do have a beef with those who are against slick shows because of some misguided idea that haired shows are about hard work.

The percentage isn't what matters when it's the winners doing it.

BIGTEX

The winners are going to be the same for the most part haired or slick. Get ready for more parents helping their kids in the future as all of the early TCCA ers kids are getting to be showing age! If their not already.