Slick Shear Show

Help Support Steer Planet:

spkauffmann

What do you think of slick shear shows? What are the advantages and disadvantages? I have always liked working with hair but i hear colorado state fair is going to all slick shear. Is there more cheating with slick shear?

The Show

I prefer hair bc I like to fit. I think the cheating would be about the same. In long hair you can hide bad spots and glue on hair to make them look bigger and better than they really are, but I really don't consider that cheating.

CJC

In long hair you can hide bad spots and glue on hair to make them look bigger and better than they really are, but I really don't consider that cheating.
[/quote]

How do you figure it not cheating if you have to build up or twine one "make them look bigger and better than they really are". If it alters the natural look of the calf then it is cheating.

The Show

JMO...I've never seen it done in heifers, I don't know how to do it, and I've yet to see someone do it and make it look natural.

TMJ Show Cattle

How the hell would you cheat with slick shear? Most of the people that win a lot,such as Bonham, or Copus, win with hair or slick. They get accused of cheating just because of winning.Alot of the guys have been accused of doing stuff to certain calves that they had absolutely no interest in whatever.It comes with the territory.There isn't near the funny stuff going on today as there was 20 years ago.A long time ago Bonham was accused of selling a steer for another person,which he did,the person who bought the calf raised hell with the original owner of the calf. The original owner went to look at the calf and offered to swear out an affadavit that the calf purchased was the steer that he asked .Steve to sell for him.To make a long story short,the steer jock was the honest one, and it happens to be a fact that JEALOUSY breeds MISERY.