Slick sheer steer sires?

Help Support Steer Planet:

wolfe0322

Wanting to ask what you all think is the best slick sheer sire out there. I have a mix of maines and clubby cows. Thanks <cowboy>

afhm

For a long time  Payback and then his sons were the slick shear kings. Since them there really hasn't been a dominate bull, it has been more about the cows being mated to a bull that compliments them just right.  If they don't get to long sided and maine anjou looking the Lifeline's do alright.  The Frictions have done well, the Flushes have too.  Heat Wave can work as well.  From what I've seen the Monopoly's will probably work and I really think the Bojo calves should be able to when they start hitting the ground we'll know for sure.

stangs13

There is a char bull called Lead On that has had some pretty good looking steers...I think he had a grand or reserve at one of the texas majors.

Steer4Caddy

We've used over 40 straws of Lead On got one steer and a few good heifers.  Most are just big charolais.  The cow needs to be small freaky stout.  Lifline only works on huge bodied stout ones as well.  For consistency on normal good cows the best slick bull we have used with volume is a Payback son called AMMO.  We have won some classes and placed several in Texas.  They just have more shape and expression than anything else we've used.  Heat Wave works but maybe one in 10 then you have to consider the dead cows you will have.  Smokes always sell and look the best in the ring (reds or creams also) so I would consider a Charolais for that.  We breed over 200 per year for the slick deal and have had some luck with several different things.  Ammo has been the best but is PH so we don't use him anymore.  One last thing.  Pay close attention to structure because judges can see it much easier and place more emphasis on it when they slick em so that automatically throws out alot of clubby bulls in my program.  I'm not willing to give up 3 cripples for one good one.

doublestuff

Lightning Jack is a Char x  bull that has thrown some really nice slicks also Popeye ( tommy Schroader Bull)  has produced a bunch of slick Champions in Texas.

steerraiser

I personally do not think the Monopoly calves will slick. I saw a bunch of them at all these sales and they will just not have enough power, especially in terms of lower quarter. They lack shape. He definitely makes them huge bodied but they are better suited for hair.
I agree with Ammo, but he does not throw enough bone. You have to match him with a stout boned cow to get any bonesork and foot size. Charolais cross is probably the right choice. I wonder if the troubador calves will work or not since lead on calves I have seen never are stout enough. I am curious to hear more thoughts on this subject of good slick sires

TexasHeat

Yellowjacket (many grand slicks), Lifeline (many grand slicks), JWR (reserve grand Houston). HW (grand @ Houston), Alias (grand San Antonio), sure several others will work on functional cows.

STX108

Slick Sires that I prefer: Ammo, Power Plus, Yellow Jacket, Smarty Jones, Lifeline, OCC Just Right, Carnac, Copyright, & Jimmy the Greek

cotullaguy

HOOTER
SIRE: Lightning Jack
DAM: Ice Breaker Simmi/Char

Full Brother to the
Grand Champion Steer
2008 San Antonio Stock Show

Is semen available on this bull anywhere or just owners?  Should work for slick shear in Texas I think.

Attachments

• Hooter.jpg
    Hooter.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,098

afhm

steerraiser said:
I personally do not think the Monopoly calves will slick. I saw a bunch of them at all these sales and they will just not have enough power, especially in terms of lower quarter. They lack shape. He definitely makes them huge bodied but they are better suited for hair.
I agree with Ammo, but he does not throw enough bone. You have to match him with a stout boned cow to get any bonesork and foot size. Charolais cross is probably the right choice. I wonder if the troubador calves will work or not since lead on calves I have seen never are stout enough. I am curious to hear more thoughts on this subject of good slick sires
What is bonesork? Or is that a typo?

rocknmranch

Steer4Caddy said:
We've used over 40 straws of Lead On got one steer and a few good heifers.  Most are just big charolais.  The cow needs to be small freaky stout.  Lifline only works on huge bodied stout ones as well.  For consistency on normal good cows the best slick bull we have used with volume is a Payback son called AMMO.  We have won some classes and placed several in Texas.  They just have more shape and expression than anything else we've used.  Heat Wave works but maybe one in 10 then you have to consider the dead cows you will have.  Smokes always sell and look the best in the ring (reds or creams also) so I would consider a Charolais for that.  We breed over 200 per year for the slick deal and have had some luck with several different things.  Ammo has been the best but is PH so we don't use him anymore.  One last thing.  Pay close attention to structure because judges can see it much easier and place more emphasis on it when they slick em so that automatically throws out alot of clubby bulls in my program.  I'm not willing to give up 3 cripples for one good one.

So, because you don't use AMMO any longer, who do you use? 

chambero

Personally, I really like the Yellowjacket calves, but to my knowledge they haven't actually won that much at Texas majors.  He has given me the biggest boned, heaviest muscled calves I've ever raised.  We've got a real nice heifer out of him we are taking out for the first time this weekend.  Steers may tend to get a little too big (which is just the right size for what I like - but not most judges).  Use him on small framed cows.

For slick sheer calves, you are really looking more for uniformity and depth instead of just the thickest calf you can find.  It's hard for the super thick ones to be smooth enough and good enough structured.  Frankly, I like how the judges are placing more emphasis on structure and balance and giving up a little bit of thickness.

I wouldn't disagree with any of the bull suggestions made. 

The Hooter bull is sired by Lightning Jack who is sired by Popeye.  I just saw the ad on him also and he does look good, but I doubt there are any calves yet.

Lots of Charolais bulls could work.  If you have highly crossed up cows, I'd use a purebred Charolais bull. 

Tommy Schroeder has a bull (raised by Dan Leddy I think) named Doughboy.  Leddy also has another bull called Leddy 20X.  Both haven't really been promoted much, but has calves that are placing high in majors on relatively few cows.  The 20X bull sired the med wt Charolais class winner at San Antonio out of a cow we raised and sold.  The year before I think he sired a class winner at Houston.  You could probably get semen, but last I heard you had to buy a 100 straws.

chambero

Not that I know of.  But he lives in Cleburne and he'd probably let you go look at them.