Smokey colored calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

Angus n Club

I know this may sound dumb but what is better for selling and show wise for color? I have an Angus cow that I'm thinking about breeding to either Alias or Amen. With Alias I have a good chance of smokey colored and just wanted to know what works better? I know you take a chance on breeding a pair like this. I was wondering if this would hurt sale price and showing? I'm rusty from the show world and I remember back a long time ago that if it wasn't black you didn't win. I think my cow will work great with these 2 bulls. I have even thought about Captain Morgan and One and Only for her too. I know that with One and Only I have a chance of getting a baldy. The colors don't bother me as long as it's a good, healthy and will sell and show well. She's carrying a Point Taken calf right now. Trying to get things lined up for the breeding season. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

kfacres

by breeding with a smoky bull-- you only run a 50% chance of having a smoke calf born... 

if you breed with an actual purebred char bull... you run the 100% chance of a smoke calf...

I'm not real sure what your cow is, but Captain Morgan, and Alias= are two completely different type bulls... and I'm not sure they'd click with the same type of cow...

Angus n Club

Thanks. I figured the percentage would be like that. I'm wondering if this would hurt sale price and showing if I ended up with colored calf?

ZZCATLE

If you are interested in getting a smoke steer that will grow and show breed to Denver a really good young charolis bull.

Angus n Club

Thanks! Helps a lot! I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't hurt at sale and show time with colored calf. I have thought about a good Charolais bull too but it also depends on what my dad wants as well.