So I knew Built Right could throw quite a bit of white.

Help Support Steer Planet:

GLZ

But I must admit I didn't expect this much white.
:eek:

untitled-5.jpg

One day old out of a PB Simmy (Ameritrade x Prowler) cow.  I think my hopes of selling him as a bull are now officially gone.

husker1

We have had one with this much color out of approaching 40  born....and in our case, momma also had color in the pedigree.  But it can happen...thanks Ebony.

Any white in this cow's extended pedigree?

Looks like a good calf other than too much chrome for me.

GLZ

You have to go back quite a ways.  3 generations back on the cows side is the old bull Cezon.

The same cow has given me two all black calves.  I bred her to Built Right hoping I could have a white face out of her, and this guy showed up.

He is pretty cool.  I secretly wish he was a heifer.

kanshow

Nice calf!    I've actually seen a Built Right with more white than that..  Kinda looked like a stein..    We have some cows that go back to 3C Wally and they'll throw white like that if we don't watch what we breed them too. 

Dyer Show cattle

Yeah the white can be hard to get rid of. I have a Smoke meyer 734 granddaughter out of a PB charlias. Bred her to Purbred black angus bulls and she has only had 1 black calf out of 5. All others have been smoke. Another interesting thing is the only steer she has had was the black one as well. I have kept all the smoke heifers out of her and they are all out of  purbred angus sires and they still throw about 50% all black or 50% all smoke when bred black still.

LN

forbes family farms said:
Anything can happen because we have black bulls and black cows that had red babies

That's because both of the parents are heterozygous black, meaning they both have a recessive allele for red coat color.

husker1

I always cuss the white when we get too much out of any bull....I remember the first Lucky Dice (and Last) calf born on our place....we had to jack him out and we got all the way to the front shoulders before we saw the first black color....thought she accidentally got bred Charolais for a few cranks!

However, as I get older....I realize that that a live and breathing pink spotted one is still better than a dead all black one.

I would've thought that you'd have been safe 3 generations from white, but genetics are a crazy thing.  Better luck next time.

LN

husker1 said:
I always cuss the white when we get too much out of any bull....I remember the first Lucky Dice (and Last) calf born on our place....we had to jack him out and we got all the way to the front shoulders before we saw the first black color....thought she accidentally got bred Charolais for a few cranks!

However, as I get older....I realize that that a live and breathing pink spotted one is still better than a dead all black one.

I would've thought that you'd have been safe 3 generations from white, but genetics are a crazy thing.  Better luck next time.

I'd love to have a pink spotted cow!

Chap

keep him a bull and market towards clubby industry.  Color is in!  Old Meyer himself wasn't much different in color than your calf.  Old rumor is that white hind legs on a blady will throw a baldy more often.  get hm weaned, fat and hairy and sell him as a baldy making maternal bull

shorthorn boy

husker1 said:
I always cuss the white when we get too much out of any bull
Haha I don't see anything wrong with calf having too much white, all white is perfectly good in my book, but I guess those words are coming from a shorthorn breeder so white markings are perfectly fine.  ;D ;D (clapping) I do see where your coming form though. Anyway I honestly think that bull calf has a cool look to him I kinda like the white (but again coming form a shorthorn guy) and as chap said in the clubby industry color is in. I guess it is good though that he is up running around and healthy.  (thumbsup)

JSchroeder

I have kept all the smoke heifers out of her and they are all out of  purbred angus sires and they still throw about 50% all black or 50% all smoke when bred black still.
That’s not out of the ordinary, that’s what’s supposed to happen.  The Charolais dilution gene is what causes them to be white when homozygous for it and causes the smoke color when heterozygous (and black).  Your smoke heifers have a 50/50 shot of throwing a smoke calf.

mark tenenbaum

Listen to Chap-a good one is a good one-that calf isnt a heck of alot different (color) than hired man or womanizer-the whole black deal  goes by the wayside when you have quality in a non-cowkiller package, do you think all people should be black too? O0 Dont get me started-my pants are starting to fall down.

brandisshortys

One thing's for sure:  He'll get the judge's attention in the showring and maybe win ya some purple along the way.  As mentioned earlier, color is in with a lot of judges right now!

P-F

Those black and white colored up baldie steers always seem to be the first to sell no matter the quality, Little girls just think they are so cute.

We have a maine x calf colored just like that and a family with 3 kids came out the youngest daughter was "absolutely not showing a steer this year and no one was going to make her" that was until she saw him and that was all it took!

Simmgirl03

I guess I must still be a little girl at heart because I'm a sucker for the chrome! He looks like a keeper to me! Good luck with him.

randiliana

Spots like that are recessive, same as the red gene. 50/50 chance of that being passed on from a hetero animal, so it isn't really that surprising!!