solid gold

Help Support Steer Planet:

vet tech

Does anybody know when semen prices will come back down? I heard there were more clones coming?

cotullaguy

I have not seen a single calf ever out of Solid Gold.  He looks good but still wonder if he works.  (pop)

jsscattle

Never seen the bull, but he must of had a phenotype from hell away from the photos.  Have a friend that hasn't flushed a cow in 20 years and a trusted friend of his saw the bull and told him about him.  He then flushed what he thought was his best cow to him, without seeing any progeny, hope they are satisfied.

qbcattle

His calves arent on the ground yet but there is a whole lot of cows out there bred to him right now. I saw the three other clones a couple months ago and they were pushing a year old. Brandon said that once they start collecting good that that price should go back down.

cotullaguy

qbcattle said:
His calves arent on the ground yet but there is a whole lot of cows out there bred to him right now. I saw the three other clones a couple months ago and they were pushing a year old. Brandon said that once they start collecting good that that price should go back down.

there are whole lot of super cows bred to him right now.  from the Frozen gold etc.  Thus, they better hope there are numerous home runs in the group or he will be a quick bust.

jbw

There ARE calves on the ground. They seem to be all over the board. From really good to NOT.  This is from 4 different breeders that I have talked to.  Just what I have heard.....

qbcattle

vet tech said:
alright thanks, how did the clones look?

The clones were simply awesome. Most massive boned, biggest footed calves i have ever seen, but also covered their tracks. They were super stout made, if i were to find a fault in them, I would like to clean up there neck a tad, but that is sitting there for thirty minutes and making myself find a hole.

vet tech

jbw said:
There ARE calves on the ground. They seem to be all over the board. From really good to NOT.  This is from 4 different breeders that I have talked to.   Just what I have heard.....
Where are they then? I have not seen any, its to my understanding that there are none on the ground till this fall

BadgerFan

So who raised the steer?  I read that he sold for $30K as a baby. 

also, is there semen from Houston the other clone of this bull?

advocate

I don't think there is any houston semen he's not even in lautners catalog any more I think he must have been a dud and got shipped

BadgerFan

advocate said:
I don't think there is any houston semen he's not even in lautners catalog any more I think he must have been a dud and got shipped

I did some checking, and you are correct.

GONEWEST

Houston breeds cows, but does not freeze. There ARE calves by Solid Gold. I assume he is like any other clubby bull in that some are not so good. However, the people who have them say the good ones are the best. IF the young clones produce and they get a bank built up on it, semen prices will be lower. There is a reason it's $100. Just as there is a reason he has been cloned this many times.

vet tech

there were tons of eggs selling at the donors unlimited sale sired by solid gold. Hopefully the solid gold x p89 mating works out  ;)

DTW

Seen one and it was not small at birth.  I would say 120 to 130 lb heifer calf out of a shorthorn x maine cow.  Very sound, good fronted, smooth shouldered but looks awful tall for just being born. The cow has had calves before that were bigger boned than this heifer.