Some pictures of Western Canadian bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

I can see why you crossed him on bonanza. I would not necessarily find the deepest buster daughter I could find just one that adds a little while retaining her style.  I gues I would put the 2nd on the deepest buster daughter by bonanza for startes. Your bonanza and  buster bulls are probably my favorite two shorthorn bulls other than a couple of oldies.

aj

To me long spined cattle are long in their growth curve. They are huge cows. There may be some easy keeping big cows but |I suspect they are heavily supplemented. In evolution species have downsized to become more efficient in tough conditions. |In my opinion you guys are making the Shorthorn a terminal type breed with the long spined cattle. There is no way these big cows work in tougher enviroments......Kansas,Texas, Nebraska,Oklahoma and |Misxsouri......oh wait......thats where most of the cows are. jmo

knabe

After all these years you still don't have any sales numbers to prove your dink ideal is in demand.

One of the bigger dink producers in my area complained the other day he has no performance and wants bigger longer bulls.

TPX

aj said:
To me long spined cattle are long in their growth curve. They are huge cows. There may be some easy keeping big cows but |I suspect they are heavily supplemented. In evolution species have downsized to become more efficient in tough conditions. |In my opinion you guys are making the Shorthorn a terminal type breed with the long spined cattle. There is no way these big cows work in tougher enviroments......Kansas,Texas, Nebraska,Oklahoma and |Misxsouri......oh wait......thats where most of the cows are. jmo

I have to agree with AJ on this one.  In our herd we have a mixture of older long spined big cows and then some off spring that we have used more moderate bulls to create. I would take a herd of those moderate cows any day over some of those longer spined cows we started with. My feed bill and fuel bill will also agree with this statement.

doc-sun

knabe said:
i like the jefferson bull the best.  

i would like to see some of you awesome shorthorn breeders test breed some of doc-sun's bulls.

and i'd really like to see them crossed on some buster females.

where's the muridale bulls?
we are selling some performance tested 18 mo fullblood maine (3/4 shorthorn) bulls in our april 4 breeders world sale. there will be a lease option. see the ft worth awol fb maine bull post for amaa #'s

JoeBnTN

aj said:
AJ, Up to a point I agree with you -- selecting for length of side EXCLUSIVE of other equally important traits is highly likely to produce a larger framed, later maturing animal.  I don't agree that selecting for length of side automatically means you're turning Shorthorn cattle into a terminal breed -- while there is a carcass value to length, it's not a trait that has to inhibit maternal performance.  A good case in point would be some of the genetics at Lovings -- specifically the 23G bull found in the pedigrees of a number of the cattle offered.  That bull came from JR Ranch in Wyoming, where he was in the range bull sale. 23G is a bull that sired great females -- long sided, easy keeping and very sound.  They were never big cattle but certainly not "dinks".  After several years at our place, he went to Rex Tribbett's and then to Lovings.  He has sired a number of great females and bulls -- all with great longevity and most would be considered "practical" cattle that required minimal inputs.  What many don't know was that he also had the ability to sire carcass cattle that would excel and this was demonstrated in feeding tests.  For me, his greatest value is that he produced cattle with value in three very different environments.  There are a number of cattle like this available and in looking back at the bulls selling this spring that started this line of discussion, many can be found easily -- if you're willing to look for them.

knabe

for reference, i'm not advocating breeding for the longest possible spined animal.

if you look at PCC's site, there is some diversity in spine that is readily apparent.

they're not all short coupled.

RyanChandler

knabe said:
for reference, i'm not advocating breeding for the longest possible spined animal.

if you look at PCC's site, there is some diversity in spine that is readily apparent.

they're not all short coupled.

I agree there is some diversity there.  Whats consistent though is his bulls are FS 2, 3, and 4s and still over 2000lbs.  As far as maintaining fleshing ability, I think you can afford a little more length if you give up frame size.  Kind of a pendulum there. 

coyote

Some of our offering in the Who's Your Daddy .
5Y Bonanza X Muridale Sasha 61P (130K)
33Y Bonanza x Alta Cedar Ultimate 130K daughter
97Y EIONMOR HIGHLANDER 84W x Muridale Goose 32R(Bonanza)

Attachments

• 5Y.JPG
    5Y.JPG
    525.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 33Y.JPG
    33Y.JPG
    668.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 97Y.JPG
    97Y.JPG
    299.3 KB · Views: 115

uluru

My only bull in the Sun Country sale
Uluru Ruffian 301Z
Red Rose Gold Spear Ruffian x Schoolview 29C Crocus 35J
An ET calf

Attachments

• UBR 301Z downsized.jpg
    UBR 301Z downsized.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 186

uluru

Xbar, I sold 35J a few years back before 6T came on the scene.
It would be a good cross
6T has matured to be a great looking bull in my opinion
I expect about 15 calves from him at the end of March
Looking forward to them arriving.

RyanChandler

uluru said:
Xbar, I sold 35J a few years back before 6T came on the scene.
It would be a good cross
6T has matured to be a great looking bull in my opinion
I expect about 15 calves from him at the end of March
Looking forward to them arriving.

You needa talk about your buster son more often as he is exceptional... post some pasture pics if ya get a chance.

Cabanha Santa Isabel - BR

coyote said:
Some of our offering in the Who's Your Daddy .
5Y Bonanza X Muridale Sasha 61P (130K)
33Y Bonanza x Alta Cedar Ultimate 130K daughter
97Y EIONMOR HIGHLANDER 84W x Muridale Goose 32R(Bonanza)

Very good bulls Coyote. 33y and 97Y are my choices! Good ribs and upper line. Good meat cover on posterior. Bulls face! Liked. Congrats!!