Something Different

Help Support Steer Planet:

breyfarm

My old man told me today that when he was showing they used to have a guy who went out west and bought 100-120 head of very similar steers. Drawed out of a hat and whatever number that was is the eartag on your new calf. All prices were feeder calf prices and a little cost for the shipping. Then they groomed, fed, worked with etc. and had a special class at the county fair for these steers. Granite some calves are going to finish better than others but it just seemed exciting and fair. Anybody ever heard of this?

breyfarm

outspoken said:
Many FFA chapters do this today with market animal projects- especially in TX and OK where the high school ag programs are leaps and bounds over the rest of the country. 
Thats good to hear, I like the idea.

ChristaCheatham

At our fair we have a calf round up in the grandstands every year. There are 4 feeder calves that all come from the same local farm. 12 kids are then pulled out of a hat. Those 12 compete to catch one of these 400 lb to 500 lb steer calves. They have to put a halter on the calf and lead him into a gate. If he or she does this, they get to keep and raise the calf to show the following year! They have a separate class that these 4 steers compete in. I did this one year and got a steer! He ended up weiging 1475 lbs. and won Grand Champion Round Up calf! I enjoyed showing him that year.

Limiman12

Cass county Iowa has a catch a calf class.   5-10 kids get to catch a calf one year and show it the next.

wiseguy

We have a "bank steer" program in our area. A local producer supplies a group of calves of the same type or breed. The kids draw a number for pick and then select a steer. A local bank foots the bill for all the calves. Then at fair time the kids show the calves in a separate class with the winner exhibiting for Grand over all. The kid then sells calf at auction and pays the bank back for the purchase price. We started this to promote showing among the families that couldn't afford to buy calves. It is somewhat successful as we have 6-12 bank steers a year.

kfacres

wiseguy said:
We have a "bank steer" program in our area. A local producer supplies a group of calves of the same type or breed. The kids draw a number for pick and then select a steer. A local bank foots the bill for all the calves. Then at fair time the kids show the calves in a separate class with the winner exhibiting for Grand over all. The kid then sells calf at auction and pays the bank back for the purchase price. We started this to promote showing among the families that couldn't afford to buy calves. It is somewhat successful as we have 6-12 bank steers a year.

hmm..  wiseguy-- I'd sure like to get my wish, and move into that area-- I'd help the cause.