Songs from county fairs?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Does anyone have a song that brings back memories from their county fair days? Or for you younger crowd, what's the song that just puts you in that sitting in the barn mood?

For me it was War. I think I heard it a dozen times a day. "'War' was originally recorded by the Temptations," recalled Edwin. "It was buried on one of their albums. But then a lot of mail came in, mostly from students, asking why they didn't release it on a 45. Well, that was a touchy time, and that song had some implications. It was a message record, an opinion record, and stepped beyond being sheer entertainment. It could become a smash record, and that was fine, but if it went the other way, it could kill the career of whoever the artist was." Apparently, the Temptations were afraid of the song, and so it was given to Edwin Starr.

So what's your memory song?

Red  O0

cattlejunky

For some reason I remember "Playin with the Queen of Hearts"  don't remember who sang it.  I think it was my 3rd or 4th year in 4-H so that would have been mid 80's.  I just remember I heard it the entire fair week.

ELBEE

Rhinestone Cowboy, by Glenn Campbell. I think I was out of high school already (late 70's). But it was so popular the local radio station played it every other song during fair time.

red

cattlejunky said:
For some reason I remember "Playin with the Queen of Hearts"  don't remember who sang it.  I think it was my 3rd or 4th year in 4-H so that would have been mid 80's.  I just remember I heard it the entire fair week.

How about Juice Newton?

Red

farmboy

ah, good thread

for me its either big n rich-save a horse (ride a cowboy) , we were pulling in with the trailer and had it blasting my first year of 4-H

or the famed Gin and Juice lol, i remember sitting around the fans with a radio with cd player playing that song  <cowboy>

4Ts4H

simtal said:
how bout this one, "county fair" by chris ledoux

kudos!!!  I don't know if this song is really tied to memories for me, or just gets me all warm and bubbly inside when I hear it.  Oh, by the way the girls in the office here are way sick of it ;)

Ruchian

simtal said:
how bout this one, "county fair" by chris ledoux

I agree.  I saw him in concert at a county fair, not mine but one that I go to every year.

Here's another one "county fair" by Lonestar (not the same song).  no real memory here but...

aj

Not really a county fair song...but my theme song from big and rich is "why does everyone want to kick my ass"?

red

aj said:
Not really a county fair song...but my theme song from big and rich is "why does everyone want to kick my ass"?

let me count the ways!  ;)  (lol)

Red

garybob

It would be a three-way tie, between "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake, "You Be Illin' " by Run DMC, and George Strait's "Ocean Front Property" were all I heard in Barn #3. This was the PACE Show in Little Rock, 1987, and, John Bedwell, Mary Jett, and the ENTIRE Oklahoma delegation literally were the "Barn Disc Jockeys". Nobody else brought a ''system'', and John's stereo was so loud, that Bill Dorough ( Fair Manager) had a ''talk'' with Russell Sloan about it, because, you couldn't even hear announcements over the intercom.

farmboy

oh yea, somethin else cool, one night i had my steer on the wash rack and i could here  from a distance away almost home-craig morgan. that was awsome, at dusk where the sky is pink....

btw i think this year is the best lineup of preformers for our fair

monday - luke bryan
tuesday - samy kershaw
wednsday - craig morgan
thurs- circus
friday - josh gracin
sat. Demolition Derby  <cowboy>

ba

Yep i slowly down loaded some of the {Golden Oldies} 70"s as the kids call them
but can not remember names or titles but find them as I go along.
Yep we kept smoking speakers for awhile then stopped at audio joint and got
DJ speakers and they  can be heard and not be turned up.

GRsimm

I like the song the Livestock show as well, Thought it was sang by some boys for an FFA contest. GOod post this site is great so much stuff to talk about.  (angel)

OH Breeder

Def Leppard- Pour Some Sugar
George Micheal - Faith
INXS- You need me Tonight
Rick Astley- Never Gonna Give you Up
Judds
George Strait Ocean Front Property
Randy Travis Always and Forever
Bon Jovi Livin on A Prayer