South American Hereford bull. Thoughts?

Help Support Steer Planet:

trevorgreycattleco

Saw this guy on Facebook. Loved him. I think this is one of those million dollar pictures that make or break a bull's initial push. To bad we can't use a bull from there here in the states IMO.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 2,484

DLD

That Hereford bull looks really good - extremely powerful, but still smooth and well balanced.  I'd give that one a try if he was available here.

Red Angus bull looks good, too - maybe a little coarse, but really stout.

Cabanha Santa Isabel - BR

Great bulls.
The polled Hereford is from one of the best herds in Uruguay. At my view, Uruguay has one of the best hrned Herefords in the world and polled ones the best are found in Argentina.
The Aberdeen Angus red coat is from Argentina, not Uruguay. Your frame is low, around 4.0.
Both select for grass.
I'm sure that Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay have a good genetic stock on British breeds that could be valuable for North American breeders.

RyanChandler

Niiiice! That Hereford bull is flawless IMO- he might be a little short spined - judging from the angle they chose to select- but overall an excellent looking bull.  I know I go on about tail set and this bull's is as near perfect as they come. Masculinity written all over him.

I don't care for the Red Angus at all.  Too coarse made for me.

justintime

-XBAR- said:
Niiiice! That Hereford bull is flawless IMO- he might be a little short spined - judging from the angle they chose to select- but overall an excellent looking bull.  I know I go on about tail set and this bull's is as near perfect as they come. Masculinity written all over him.

I do not consider the Red Angus bull to be too coarse. To me, he possesses excellent masculinity and I expect he sires excellent sons and daughters. He is probably a bit too small framed for me, but he has been developed for a definite purpose. Most masculine sires have crest and most people consider this to be coarseness, but really these bulls produce the most fertile feminine daughters.
I have seen a bunch of South American genetics that impress me. I agree that the Polled Hereford bull is close to perfect in design. We are starting to see some embryos from Argentina mainly, coming into Canada. Time will tell if they work here as well.

GoWyo

They look like they would get high centered on sage brush in most of Wyoming.  Would question their ability to travel and cover cows in big pastures.  But they look pretty cool on farms.

cowboy_nyk

I too have been impressed with some of the Argentinian genetics out there.  They are definitely smaller framed, but they have muscling and feed efficiency, both traits you can never have too much of.  We used the sire below, Belvin Tres Marias Patron.  He was brought up to Canada as an embryo and then sold to Boss Cattle Co. in Nebraska.  The pictures below are a couple of heifers off of him and one of the bull calves I clipped for the shows this fall.  I will say, our heaviest heifer calf and heaviest bull calf are both off of Patron so he isn't downsizing our cattle, as long as you cross him right.   

Attachments

• Patron sm.jpg
    Patron sm.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 399
  • 20131124_164157.jpg
    20131124_164157.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
  • 20130915_112615.jpg
    20130915_112615.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 20130915_112716.jpg
    20130915_112716.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 225
  • 20131028_185312.jpg
    20131028_185312.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 240

RyanChandler

justintime said:
-XBAR- said:

I do not consider the Red Angus bull to be too coarse. To me, he possesses excellent masculinity and I expect he sires excellent sons and daughters. He is probably a bit too small framed for me, but he has been developed for a definite purpose. Most masculine sires have crest and most people consider this to be coarseness, but really these bulls produce the most fertile feminine daughters.
Coarse (made) to me is thought of in terms of muscle pattern and structure. Short round muscles and shoulders that set far outside the rib cage.  His crest wasn't a factor in my evaluation. He just looks 'balled up' like a pig- there's no way that bull can cover his tracks either. The bulldoggish front end on him along with the excessive muscling in his rear third added to my conclusion.  His hook bones setting out and upward like that worry me too.  Its my opinion that when you teeter to that extreme (for a maternal breed), you do so at the expense of their maternal function. 

Medium Rare

There is a lot of good in that Hereford bull!  I would add some frame and nit pick at him a little, but that's a pretty good looking bull.

The red bull is not what I'm looking for.

nate53

It would be interesting to see what these bulls looked like as yearlings or 2 year olds (young breeding animals).  I wonder if the hereford has been used very hard?  The red bull looks more carcass oriented, the hereford looks like a big softy.  Is it because of his genetics, age, or how he's been used?  The pics look nice either way!

Cabanha Santa Isabel - BR

In Argentina small framed animals are desired for the harsh environment in south country and they can walk very well on long distances to get water and food, as Patagonia is one of the worst places in world for enviroment. On north Argentina they wish a little bit taller animal to mate with indicus blood that are widely spread on cattle there with Brangus, Braford and Brahman base herd cows.
Here in southern Brazil we have also long distances with some farms with 2000 hectars to 6000 hectars too, divide on 300 to 400 hectars fields....maybe not so huge as in some parts of western north america, but isn't the backyard as well.
Our preference in frame, at least here in south, is based on grass fed base, so easy to make a finnished steers or cow. On north Brazil they yet think with "zebu" mind, where they like of legs. This is based on recent time operations where a good quality cattle make under a well planned crossbreeding program were not available. By the way many breeders are yet looking for leggy cattle, but the tendency is to change for a smaller animal.

trevorgreycattleco

I agree with Nate. I'd like to see pics of him as he grew. To me he looks like a superb female making bull. I picture daughters of his being excellent breeding pieces. The red angus bull to me is massive but may lack balance. He would appear terminal to me. The shadows on him may not help him but I still like what a load he is.

cowboy_nyk

FYI the pic of the black bull is a yearling picture.  In my experience the South American cattle will keep condition like that on almost year round.  That was part of the attraction for me.