Soybean hulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

CHW

Has anyone feed many soybean hulls to show cattle or put it in creep feed? I haven't used them much and was wondering if anyone else used them and how much they are feeding in there show animals diet or creep feed?

Thanks

Bulldaddy

I feed 1/2 soybean hull pellets and 1/2 corn gluten as a free choice creep feed.  The calves love it and I have been getting good performance.  The protein is about 15 percent.

jackpotcattle

did some research calves on straight soybean hull pellets gained 2.41 lbs/day. Calves on pellet with soybean hulls and meal gained 2.61 lbs a day. Calves on Land O Lakes creep gained 2.6 lbs/day.
hull pellets were 15% protein hull and meal pellets were 18% and LOL was 16%.

It is by far the cheapest to feed regular hull pellets, but my biggest thing against them is it makes the cattle loose stooled and appear to have that "hard" look to them. The calves that were on the LOL creep carried the most condition and looked the best.

It would be really interesting to see how these cattle graded.

shorthorngirl2010

Reserve & 3rd overall carcass steers @ NJAS last summer were on a distillers/soy hulls/cracked corn ration (I'm certain that was the ration, I know hulls were a big part of it) with free choice grass hay and hung w/ a YG2 & QG low prime.

ROMAX

I work at an IP soybean plant and take home the soybean hulls for my cows,i feed them straight and they go bananas for them,i also mix some crack corn wiyh them and feed that to the bull.

Latest posts