spring calving problems

Help Support Steer Planet:

mdb1985

For those more experienced than I, I am wondering if the tough winter weather will lead to more incidences of dystocia in calving and sickness, like calf scours?  I have heard that tough winters will mean larger calves in the spring but I don't know if that is fact or fiction.

sam1988

I am pretty sure your concerns are justified.  I think cold weather means more feed and less excercise.  I know I always get along bettter when the grass gets green.

Haynes Livestock

Another thing that may lead to dystocia in cattle that have faced harsh winters may actually be their lack of feed and forage. Decreased body conditions can lead to increased incidences of dystocia. So there is obviously a happy medium you need to find.. somewhere in between not feeding too much (because of what sam1988 was saying) but also making sure they are getting enough. If cattle are not in good condition at calving they may get tired quicker.. which means they may struggle having calves that are average sized as much as they will larger ones.

mdb1985

so if I anticipate larger calves, does it make sense to induce them so they don't get too far over due date and if so, what protocol and drugs should be used?

CAB

It's been talked about regularly here on the board and there are PPL on both sides of the fence. I personally don't like to induce, but have under certain circumstances. You will find those that do induce often. I personally seem to have a much higher percentage of retained placentas when I induce causing later breed back periods.

herefordfootball

Freddy said:
According to some of the scientists in beef the blood flow feeding  the calf is more when cold weather occurs, especially in the last month ...

Maybe my april calvers are a blessing in disguise, but I sure wish we had some coming earlier.