Spring storms & tornado's!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

Once again , we got lucky with the tornado's! They hit about 10 miles from us in Cottontown. It hit also in Murfreesboro where so far 2 deaths (a woman & her 9 week baby), 135 taken to the hospital. It crossed I-24 right where we stayed for TN Beef Agribition. Flipped over tractor -trailer's & cars & shut down the I24 for several hours. It hit several other cities around Nashville. Already hearing stories of wonderment like the couple that couldn't decide wether to get in the bedroom closet or the kitchen pantry. Finally decide on pantry, when they came out, their bedroom & that end of the house was gone.

Doc

Got luckier than I thought, it hit several houses & barns on a road 3 miles from us. Traveled for 44 miles on the ground.

TJ

Glad that you are OK!!  We had a funnel or a tornado about 10 miles south of us (about 1 mile from my in-laws) that did some damage.  Further south of us (50 miles or so) a tornado touched down & destroyed some homes, etc.  Then a little later a funnel cloud was spotted that went over basically the exact same area, but thank goodness it didn't completely touchdown.  Weird stuff.  Lots of funnels & tornado's in the area today.  Actually, we had another bad storm split right as it was about to hit us around 2:30 am this morning... all the lightening woke me up, so I got to watch it split on the radar.  I'm VERY thankful!!         

Davis Shorthorns

glad to hear that everyone is ok, had one touch down here in manhattan last year and it was a bad deal.  You all will be in my prayers. 

justintime

Doc... glad you are OK. These storms are scary things for sure. Up here in the north country, tornados used to be a very rare occurance, but in the last decade we have seen more of them in Western Canada. When you see the devastation some of these storms produce, it is hard to believe that more people and animals are not killed. Seems to me that the number of these devastating storms on increasing every year.

JoeBnTN

The storms that came through yesterday missed my house by less than 1/2 mile - we stood and watched it from our front porch.  Everytime it hit a house, barn or other structure you could see the debris go up in the cloud and fall out hundreds of yards later.  We've been without power, phone etc, until 45 minutes ago and there are those who won't have power for days.  Was supposed to go to dad's to shoot some video on our bull for marketing, but couldn't get out with the storm - I 'm not sure whether I'm glad to have stayed or not.

I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it - until today when we went out and saw the damage.  There are over 250 homes either destroyed or severely damaged, thousands of trees uprooted or shredded.  I can't describe what it looks like in neighborhoods where homes are now completely destroyed.  The most amazing thing is that you see streets where one house is completely gone and 50 feet away is a house that's basically untouched.  There are many families in this community and the surrounding area that need everyone prayers - it will be quite a while before our community gets back on its feet.

Doc

JoeBnTN said:
The storms that came through yesterday missed my house by less than 1/2 mile - we stood and watched it from our front porch.  Everytime it hit a house, barn or other structure you could see the debris go up in the cloud and fall out hundreds of yards later.  We've been without power, phone etc, until 45 minutes ago and there are those who won't have power for days.  Was supposed to go to dad's to shoot some video on our bull for marketing, but couldn't get out with the storm - I 'm not sure whether I'm glad to have stayed or not.

I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it - until today when we went out and saw the damage.  There are over 250 homes either destroyed or severely damaged, thousands of trees uprooted or shredded.  I can't describe what it looks like in neighborhoods where homes are now completely destroyed.  The most amazing thing is that you see streets where one house is completely gone and 50 feet away is a house that's basically untouched.  There are many families in this community and the surrounding area that need everyone prayers - it will be quite a while before our community gets back on its feet.

Joe , glad to hear you're ok. I keep forgetting you're a transplanted middle Tennessean now, I always think of the east end. Are you or your dad going to make it to Clemson in 2 weeks?

JoeBnTN

Doc said:
Joe , glad to hear you're OK. I keep forgetting you're a transplanted middle Tennessean now, I always think of the east end. Are you or your dad going to make it to Clemson in 2 weeks?

We're OK, but that's twice in the 6 years we've lived here.  The one that came through in 2003 literally went right over our house - they estimate it was a couple of hundred feet over the roof, but you could see the swirl marks in the grass.  Compared to yesterday , that was just a bad storm.  They're now thinking we had an EF-3 storm (140-165 mph winds) that went for 15 miles and a 1/2 mile wide path.  You've probably seen the pictures on the news, but they can only show so much.  I'll have to tell you about it the next time I see you.

I'm not sure about Clemson - I know I can't go.  Mom had surgery a few weeks ago and a lot will depend on how she feels.  Hope you guys have a good sale.

Doc

Jill said:
So what about the facility Jr. National's is being held at?

It's right on campus & I've not heard anything about it hitting there. I think it was more north & west of there. Joe could answer better than me, but I think everything is fine.

Jill

Good deal, glad to hear everone is one is ok, coming from Kansas, I know just how scary tornado's can be!

JoeBnTN

Jill said:
So what about the facility Jr. National's is being held at?

Jill,

The storm missed the campus by a couple of miles so there's no problem. Maybe I better say - there's no problem yet - they are calling for another line of severe storms tomorrow night.  The last time we had a major tornado hit town it was a very rough spring.  We've had 2 sets of storms over the past 3 weeks and its just April.  We'll stay in touch - I'll be glad to help any way that I can.

Joe

Jill

We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.  I hope some of you from that direction will make it to Jr. National's, I would love to have the chance to meet some of you and I'm sure Gidget would too.