Spring time and the grill!

Help Support Steer Planet:

KSanburg

Had to share this photo, fired up the grill this evening and sat out on the deck and had an adult beverage and a T-bone from one of my kids 4-H steers from last year, a One & Only that we raised. Absolutely delicious!

What are everyone's favorite steak seasonings?

Medium rare with a dash of garlic salt and pepper is my favorite.

Attachments

• Steaks.jpg
    Steaks.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 239

DLD

Love it!  We grill year 'round, but lots more after it warms up.  I rarely eat steak when we eat out - they're almost always a little disappointing once you're used to the home grown ones.  Garlic salt always, sometimes a little Montreal Steak seasoning, sometimes nothing else.  And a Crown and Coke definitely tops it off right.

knabe

Every year I put on a tri-tip BBQ at work with rib round up from the old country deli in San Luis obispo.

shortyjock89

Garlic salt, a little bit of pepper, and an IPA is definitely my favorite way to eat steak in the summer.

obie105

We grill year round. The husband likes the famous daves steak and burger seasoning and I like different marinades or just a little season salt. We have been experimenting a bunch in the past few months and have really gotten into trying different seasonings and marinades for all different cuts of beef.

HAB

We grill all year as well.  Takes alot more propane when it is -20, but the food is worth it. 

As for seasoning, we don't use anything other than the Galloway flavor God gave them.  ;D

rf21970

Grill year round on a mix of lump and briquette charcoal. Lump burns way hotter and gives a really good wood flavor and the briquettes stay hot longer.  Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. There is a huge difference in that and plain table salt/pepper

Davis Shorthorns

I love to grill and smoke started with the smoker did a couple briskets, some chicken qtrs, and some ribs sat.  My favorite rub would be Baldridge's Best.  Use it on everything.  Always ends up delicious. 

vc

Every year at the fair my cousin will bust out the giant spatula and cooks a few of these bad boys up, 4 pounds of burger each, he stuffs some with blue cheese some with jalapenos and Cheddar, and other things like that. He gets the buns made at a local market, they are 14 inches across. We are there for a week and pretty much cook everything on the grill, tri-tip, pizza, cheesy potatoes,
Jalapeno poppers (he has the 24 slot holder, he made a pepper sizer that fits on his key ring so he can make sure the peppers he buys don't fall through the holes on the holder).

Attachments

• big burger.jpg
    big burger.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 131

ploughshare

45 days of dry aging, Montreal seasoning, mesquite fire, and some horseradish sauce served with an cold Czech pils.

chambero

Our Smilin Bob calf we butchered in December tastes just fine also!

Actually I learned something on this one.  The last show calf we butchered was an About Time we didn't kill till he was just over 1300 lbs.  He was really thick.  Frankly, his ribeyes and t-bones were so big they'd barely fit on a plate.  You had no room for anything else on the plate.  Our butcher doesn't grade them for us, but he had to be pretty close to prime.  Really his steaks were a little too fat. 

We butchered this one when he got just over 1100 lbs.  Steak size is just perfect for the plate - still a "big" steak, but not ridiculous.  He was plenty fat, but not what most people would call perfectly finished too the touch on the hoof.  On the plate - I'd consider him perectly finished. 

KSanburg

Glenstory said:
45 days of dry aging, Montreal seasoning, mesquite fire, and some horseradish sauce served with an cold Czech pils.

45 Days?? Really?  I know that we have had them aged to 21 or 22 days and I admit that it is good, but I don't think I could wait for my steaks for 45 days. I bet there is a thick layer of mold on them by then. The horseradish sauce is the secret right?

BIGTEX

As far as marinade goes. Try it one time. Take tenderloins and soak them in Stubbs Beef Marinade for 6-12 hrs. It will be one of the best steaks you have ever had. Make sure they are fairly thick.

KSanburg

Mill Iron A said:
Tri tip on a traeger, garlic powder, pepper and salt.

How long have you had your Traeger? I have only seen them on the showroom floor and they look nice and you get the smoked flavor too. What do you like best about yours? What are the cons if any?

ladyluck

DLD said:
Love it!  We grill year 'round, but lots more after it warms up.  I rarely eat steak when we eat out - they're almost always a little disappointing once you're used to the home grown ones.  Garlic salt always, sometimes a little Montreal Steak seasoning, sometimes nothing else.  And a Crown and Coke definitely tops it off right.

My thoughts exactly! With horses grazing on one side and cattle on the other  (thumbsup)

Mill Iron A

So far there isn't a whole lot of cons, maybe replacing the aluminum foil every once in awhile, had it for six months, best thing we have bought in awhile. Easier than propane and everything tastes good on one, highly recommended.