Stabilized Rice Bran for heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

Has anyone used the max e glo stabilized give bran for heifers? Thought about using it for a top dressing to add more fat. Thoughts?

shortii

What do you use it for? I don't know anything about rice bran but I am very curious

I've heard it works well to finish and add fat with a smooth cover. Also heard it stimulates a hormone for muscle. I'm not sure as we have just began to use it hoping for some results

vc

I do not know about stimulating a hormone for muscle, but it does add a smooth layer of cover over the ribs, helps the hair and skin, and is not hot like corn so will not affect trying to grow hair. We fed it to the steers and had great success with the it. We fed it early to calves who need to catch up, as well as to steers we needed to hold, kept them from going stale.
Helps keep calves looking fresh.
The guy that got me started on it said that one of the places he had worked at fed it to their whole string of Angus show heifers every year, and had great results.

SlickTxMaine

We have used it for several years on steers and swear by it.  I would like to try it on heifers but afraid it would get them too fat.  The folks using it on heifers, do you decrease the corn in their ration and how much SRB do you feed daily?  Any issues with getting them too fat?

GoWyo

Stabilized Rice Bran works well for replacing the hot calories from corn with the cooler calories from the fat that is in the rice bran.  As a result it actually promotes hair growth instead of burning it off like corn will if you have a heavy corn component of your ration.  Another product we used last year trying to get some picky eaters to get finished was Flax Meal.  I think I liked it even better than the SRB products.  Really added growth and shine to their hair in the middle of summer under fans in the barn with no cooler room.

Bradenh

6 oz a feeding you can over kill and do 8 oz or more it won't burn them up like other things will

We mix it in when we feed it