Stabilized rice bran

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJB73

I have read a lot on here about this product but I have a question for all of you should I be feeding this to my boys steers show is last week of July they are weighing 730 and 600 I am feeding 48# to them a day and they are cleaning it up and sure champ should I add rice bran now or wait to last 90 days what do you all think

GoWyo

I prefer to use vegetable oil to add fat to the diet if it is a long way to the terminal show just due to the cost.  Use Stabilized Rice Bran more in the last 60-90 days to put on a nice even fat cover.

TJB73

Yes there eating 24 pound each end of day  how much vegetable oil do you feed at one time

GoWyo

Check your feed label.  You will want to at around 5%-6% fat in the ration. Vegetable oil is around 7.5 lbs to the gallon.  If you feed 24 lbs. of ration to your steer, and if there is no fat in the ration, you would need to add 1.44 lbs of fat or around 24 oz. of liquid (if my math is right).  If there is already some fat in the ration, then you will have to figure out whether to add fat and how much.

I have been feeding a mixed grain ration (that's all it is) with some cottonseed hulls mixed in for texture.  We feed about 2% of body weight of the grain ration and they seem to gain fast enough.  With a 750 lb. steer, he will get 15 lbs. of grain and 0.75 lbs of oil, which works out to a tenth of a gallon of oil, or 12.8 fluid ounces, i.e. a little over a cup and a half of oil per day mixed into the ration.

TJB73

Thanks for the info I will try it do you have a place to buy it in bigger lots than a gallon jug

GoWyo

My feed dealer gets 5 gal. buckets for $50 or so.  If grocery store has veg oil for less than $10 a gallon I buy that.