Standing heat a 1:00pm?

Help Support Steer Planet:

irh

When is the best time to bred , just caught her standing at 1:00p.m.  Is it tonight or early morning? 

husker1

In my opinion, late tonite would be best (10 p.m.), but we always used to breed everything starting standing after noon the next morning.

Be much simpler if the cows would all read the manual and come in at the correct times!

cattleboy

Its said that you should breed 12 hours after first standing heat but bull semen can last up to 30 hours in the uterus. In my opinion, you should breed her around 10pm and then possibly in the morning if you feel that its needed.

firesweepranch

greg.kirlin said:
Its said that you should breed 12 hours after first standing heat but bull semen can last up to 30 hours in the uterus. In my opinion, you should breed her around 10pm and then possibly in the morning if you feel that its needed.

That's what we do. I would AI PM and AM.

kidsandkows

firesweepranch said:
greg.kirlin said:

That's what we do. I would AI PM and AM.

So you guys use 2 straws on the cow? Doesnt it get expensive?

I had the same question the other day but I didnt think to put it on steer planet. I kinda went with earlier. I didnt have the ability to do it in the dark. I had heard that semen can be good in the cow for a long time as well so I figured earlier is better than the alternative of missing her so I did it that evening 7 or 8 oclock. We shall see, this is sure an exciting time of year, butnow we have to wait 9 months.

Mueller Show Cattle

I had the same question the other day but I didnt think to put it on steer planet. I kinda went with earlier. I didnt have the ability to do it in the dark. I had heard that semen can be good in the cow for a long time as well so I figured earlier is better than the alternative of missing her so I did it that evening 7 or 8 oclock. We shall see, this is sure an exciting time of year, butnow we have to wait 9 months.
[/quote]
A little bit more expensive but the $30 a straw (average) is worth it to me. $30 is nothing if you miss this heat and have to wait another 21 days or so. As far as time if I was going to AI once, I would AI early morning 6AM or earlier. I am in the process of building a new barn that will be set up with new lightning and if I am concerned, I will be out there AI'ng at 1:00AM. I try and stick as close to 12 hours after 1st sight of standing heat, I will vary a little but with something like you, I would be out there AI'ng by 6AM, thats just me others may do a little different. I was told by the vet at my AI school that the semen (good semen) will survive 24 hours or a little longer in the cow from frozen semen (AI), natural straight from the bull is longer yet.

vet tech

I have read studies in very large operations showing that using 2 straws as opposed to one only showed a 4-5% conception increase. Since that semen can be in there for so long, and since it's very hard to actually know for fact exactly when that cow started standing I just breed 4 hours after and hope for the best. Figure If that semen sits there for say 12 hours and I caught her at the beginning of her heat then that semen starts fertilizing at 16 hours. I just think its the best bet. However, I also think the breeding window is a lot larger than some people seem to believe.

bluffcountrycattle

We had one tonight that had the Estrotech patch rubbed off.  Was not in heat at 6:30am, but completely rubbed tonight and it looked like the flurry of activity had come back to normal.  So, wasn't sure when she came in to heat.  We bred her tonight, and gave her a shot of gnrh to help the odds, since work would interfere with an AM breeding tomorrow...  Guess we'll know in 21 days!

firesweepranch

Big M Show Cattle said:

A little bit more expensive but the $30 a straw (average) is worth it to me. $30 is nothing if you miss this heat and have to wait another 21 days or so. As far as time if I was going to AI once, I would AI early morning 6AM or earlier. I am in the process of building a new barn that will be set up with new lightning and if I am concerned, I will be out there AI'ng at 1:00AM. I try and stick as close to 12 hours after 1st sight of standing heat, I will vary a little but with something like you, I would be out there AI'ng by 6AM, thats just me others may do a little different. I was told by the vet at my AI school that the semen (good semen) will survive 24 hours or a little longer in the cow from frozen semen (AI), natural straight from the bull is longer yet.
[/quote]
Ditto here. Most of our semen is around $20 to $25, so I would rather make sure the semen is where it needs to be fresh, than take the chance and miss her. Some ovulate early, some ovulate late. Also, we would give GnRH with the first AI. It is cheap insurance for us when we are small!

irh

We breed her in the morning, read that there is a 24 hour window.  Just wish they would be either standing in morning or evening.  Thanks for enfo.

AAOK

What little I know was learned from seasoned cattlemen who didn't read the books or listen to the vet.  I always tried to breed 12 hours after the beginning of standing heat.  If that was not possible, the rule was  breed too late rather than too early.  Conception rate was always in the high 90s.