Stands Alone

Help Support Steer Planet:

MOCattle

I havent ever seen Stands Alone in person.  Looks short and compact in pictures. Anybody seen him in person? What kind of calves are guys expecting?

Dyer Show cattle

I saw him last spring at Nichols in ankeny. I did not care for him. He has power but am interested in seeing calves first, he was one of the smaller framed bulls there. If you have big cows he might be perfect but most of mine are moderate framed already and dont want to downsize. He might not downsize either. I thought the same of walks alone and I guess his calves are matching the cows frame size. I ended up coming home with some Dr Who, Fatt butt, One and Only, and Special Edtion straws. All those bulls were there this spring. Special Edition (monoply son) was what I bred my best cows to this year to try. And my sunseeker females got bred One and Only. Will see how that turns out in march. Walks on Water was also at nichols at the same time and I thought he and stands alone were alot alike. I plan on going and checking them out again this year. I like to see bulls at 2 year olds and matures before I usually breed to them. They change alot from yearlings to 2 year olds. I did see One and Only at Wades after he was running with cows late. Wade thought he looked like crap but I still thought he looked good for running with cows all spring. Also my mind changes frequently after I see some calves. I have seen alot of the lautner bulls that I dont care for but I like a lot of calves out of them.

MOCattle

Thanks. One and Only is a bull that I have looked into since he is a defect free heat wave son.

GoWyo

We bred two larger framed cows to Stands Alone last spring.  Calves not due until April.  We used him more for maternal traits (dam is a Whiplash cow), so we will probably get 2 bull calves, but thought it was worth a try.

jbw

I thought that he was a very complete breeding bull, he was not the stoutest or freakiest, BUT, he had not been tampered with and he was structurally sound. I don't use new bulls much, but, I did use that one for replacement females.

Oats

Brent have you seen him lately he was one I was considering for Jades dirty cow.

olsun

I stopped at Nichols last Monday, and looked at what few bulls were there. I had seen Stands Alone last spring, and the only major problem I had with him was that I felt he might be too small. I am no longer concerned about that. He has developed into a good looking moderate framed bull. I liked him alot. My only concern now would be his rear legs. He is a little straight, not bad at all, but I would sure not breed him to cows that are a little straight themselves. I sure like his pedigree and his look, and I am looking foreward to some calf reports this spring.JMO                  Earl

CAB

Oats, Brooke stopped in yesterday and took a look @ him and she says that Olsun's assesment is spot on perfect as to what her thoughts are. Stands Alone and The One & Only were my 2 picks of the 2010 class of bulls, but I sure didn't see them all by a long shot.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
WE had one this fall that Tony R an others saw that was out of a Charolais purebred cow , they already had him named , he came easy ,I was concernedd about birth .

He died from pnemonia , worked him the day before an didn't see anything wrong with him, next day he was sick, vet said his lungs were damaged an he tried to save him ...Het looked like a land payment or was pretty good, an was just starting to fill out .  Like I told some one they always look better when there dead or dying ....
I will sure use the bull again, didn't get any this fall but will ...

olsun

Freddy, are we talking about the same bull ?  I was sure that Stands Alone was just a spring 09 calf. I don't doubt you, but was just wondering. Earl

Show Steaks

Stands alone was probably my favorite bull at stud. maybe just a touch on the small side but not much.. deep bodied and complete not freaky in any aspect but also no holes. i cna see him making alot of really nice replacements.